Your first car

Status
Not open for further replies.
1954 Ford sedan with 239 cu.in. Y block V8. Let automotive shop at high school install new rings, inserts. Also installed new type of Perfect Circle valve seals which required some machine work. Good reliable vehicle. Wish I still owned it

Originally Posted By: CT8
Awesome, Bonnie.

This
That 389 engine at time would beat 99.9% of the cars on the road.
My dad's '68 Bonnie could outrun my 69' Camaro 4 speed.

That engine was the most solid V-8 ever built. Sure there were many with more power and I would place Plymouth/Doge "318" in second place. after that maybe Chrysler's "383"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
1954 Ford sedan with 239 cu.in. Y block V8. Let automotive shop at high school install new rings, inserts. Also installed new type of Perfect Circle valve seals which required some machine work. Good reliable vehicle. Wish I still owned it

Yep, mine was a 4 door 3 speed with over drive. It would run about 110 in second gear bot only about 90 in third.When I first got it would hardly pull some of the hills around home with out down shifting to 2nd. I pulled the heads and a local shop did a valve job and milled the heads. Wow what a difference.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
This......'62 Bonnie ragtop. 389 V-8 & 4 speed auto.....1st was a "granny" to get the big tub moving. I was 20 years old and stationed at NAS Barbers Point (USN)
Rest assured that all bars in Honolulu were personally kept safe from the communist menace
smile.gif

love old Pontiacs. Too bad GM gave the brand a crummy slow death

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
This......'62 Bonnie ragtop. 389 V-8 & 4 speed auto.....1st was a "granny" to get the big tub moving. I was 20 years old and stationed at NAS Barbers Point (USN)
Rest assured that all bars in Honolulu were personally kept safe from the communist menace
smile.gif

Reminds me of this song
19.gif

1995 Honda Accord V6. This was the first year Honda offered a V6 in the Accord, equipped with 170 hp and 165 lb feet of torque. I went from this car, to a 2006 Accord, to my current 2012 Accord. I still miss it.

1973 Pontiac Grand Prix "SJ" model with the 6.6L/400c.i. paired with the 400 Turbo Trans. Had 77,xxx miles on it when purchased in 1988 and ran Exxon Superflow 10W30 for oil.

Ps. Purchased for $700.00 with brand new Cragar SST wheels.

Last edited:
I had a 97 Ford Ranger. 2.3 4 cylinder with 8 spark plugs. 5 speed, three seater two door, two wheel drive, except in snow it was more like 1.5. It was the 'homo teal'. My grandfather owned it for years and it was is desperate condition. Needless to say it was in far better shape when I sold it. The gas tank though had a hole in it. Any time you would do anything other than maintain a constant speed and line, the fuel would splash out all over. It averaged about 19 mpg, had no power, and the best heat and AC you would ever imagine. I absolutely hated the fact that the radiator fan was mounted directly to the crank. It took way too long to heat up and killed power. It had Firehawk Indy 500 tires that would just about make the truck stand on its nose in hard braking. Steering feel was actually great and the brake feel was excellent as well. The shift knob loved to come off during a 1-2 shift. The only thing I really miss is the bed and having the ability to haul whatever I needed to as long as the engine could power it.

A '68 GMC doghouse van with a clapped out 305 and M3. It belonged to an old hippie, had the smoked porthole windows in back and a bed and nasty carpet. Ripped it all out to haul MX bikes. My parents had no idea how dangerous these things were, thin sheet metal and the dash between you and death. What a POS.

Same color but it wasn't nearly this nice.

1987 Olds 98.
Inherited from my Late Grandfather.
First Gen FWD C Body,Buick 3.8l v6, with a massive 150hp.
don't know how fast it would go, as the speedo topped out @85mph, but i had it buried regularly.
the only speeding tickets i've ever gotten were in that car...(within 6 mos of each other, I was 19yrs old..)
in the few years i had it it was basically rebuilt.(well over 10 grand put into it).
1)It got stolen, when recovered, had to replace the lower half of the dash, stereo, and the steering column.

2)Timing belt broke, had to put a reman engine in. ($2500 of Dad's $$)

3)few moths later, (with a little youthful college parking lot hooning) popped the primary drive band in the trans, rebuilt at local trans shop. (another $1500 of Dad's $$)

4)about 6 months later, took it to get new tires, the tire shop essentially totals the car. while pulling into the bay, he somehow slammed it head on into the corner of the brick column between the doors. cracking the Rad, and of course bending the subframe and unibody. they of course paid for all the repairs at the shop of my choice.(I got the tries, but don't recall if i paid for them or not...) (The only thing i can think of, is that since the car had a second gas pedal on the left(grandpa's right leg had been amputated) the tire monkey must have thought it was a clutch??? )

about a year later, I sold it and bought my Y2k Sonata.

the engine/trans/ and bodywork ahead of the A pillar had Less than 20k mi on them. but things were nickel and diming me to death. one window didn't work, the others were geriatrically slow, a/c was going out, rear air struts needed replaced, the windshield always leaked right over the drivers seat, etc.

oh yeah, at some point in there I also had the front struts replaced, and new brakes /lines all around (another $900 of Dad's $$)

Lots of work and money into it, but it was still only a $2k car... even though it sounds like a bit of a heap, I maintain he got a [censored] of a deal, part of me would like to try to track that car back down, but.. 17yrs later? probably in the great junkyard in the sky by now....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back