Your favorite non-OEM halogen headlight bulb?

I've never noticed a difference with any of the "upgrade" Sylvania options we sell at work at the parts store. In fact if you scan them in the computer they ALL SHOW THE SAME LUMENS and the only difference is progressively higher color temp and shorter lifespan. Assuming that data is correct, it might not be, but it would explain why I've never been able to see further with any of those bulbs vs the cheap basic stock replacement types.

I end up putting good quality well designed LED headlights in everything.

I've tried HIDs but the mess of wiring and warm up times are just annoying.

Osram is a good bulb.

I just changed a pair of Sylvania Basic H1 (I think H1) and someone remarked, Wow they are so bright.

I didn't even clean the housing lens, which could use a cleaning. I just replaced in pairs when one decided to give it up and not work...
New bulb brighter than used bulb.

I put some Philips Xtreme Vision H11 in my daughters Sentra. The stock bulbs were horrible. She even commented on how much brighter they seem. They’re also just a hair whiter than the stock Philips H11 LL bulbs.

Wife's 2014 Sienna Headlight went out came Philips Made in Germany and replaced them with Silverstar: not sure if it is illusion but seems to me like they are brighter.

Well, those SuperNova bright headlights behind me is why I carry handsful of Stinger drywall screws in a jar next to me..
rugerman.gif
OK, but what about the poor drivers behind the one behind you.

Phillips X-treme vision are by far the best replacement bulbs I've found. Tried all the others and they are disappointing in comparison.
I got some XV+130s in H4/HB2/9003.

I scraped off the attenuating blue coating from in front of and behind the low beam with a new razor.
Best high beams I've ever driven behind, but were just OK before denuding the bulb of that attenuating blue.
The Blue extends under the silver cap/tip which I did not remove. the light is still 'whiter' than regular halogen with blue scraped off, with that blue under the silver cap.

When these burn out, Phillips gt Racing vision+200, denuded of that infernal blue coating, will be installed.

I got some XV+130s in H4/HB2/9003.

I scraped off the attenuating blue coating from in front of and behind the low beam with a new razor.
Best high beams I've ever driven behind, but were just OK before denuding the bulb of that attenuating blue.
The Blue extends under the silver cap/tip which I did not remove. the light is still 'whiter' than regular halogen with blue scraped off, with that blue under the silver cap.

When these burn out, Phillips gt Racing vision+200, denuded of that infernal blue coating, will be installed.
Will be interesting to see how the bulbs last. I had always heard not to touch bulb glass because of the potential for hot/cold spots and other issues. The risk of micro- scratching the glass doing what you state seems high. But if successful, I think this is a great option.

Will be interesting to see how the bulbs last. I had always heard not to touch bulb glass because of the potential for hot/cold spots and other issues. The risk of micro- scratching the glass doing what you state seems high. But if successful, I think this is a great option.
The blue comes off without extreme pressure of the razor blade. I tried to scratch the glass of an old failed halogen bulb and could not easily accomplish it. Please take significant precautions before attempting this, as the bulbs have a lot of pressure inside.

They got degreased with rubbing alcohol on a Qtip, before installation.

I have about 30 hours on the bulbs stripped of the blue banding, so far.
I'll report back when they fail, with an estimated amount of accumulated hours on them when they fail.
I keep 2 pairs of backups in the vehicle, and can swap out a bulb in less than a minute

I have used mother’s mag and aluminum polish for years to remove the blue coating and never had an issue. Little blue masking tape around the glare cap and all is good.

The blue comes off without extreme pressure of the razor blade. I tried to scratch the glass of an old failed halogen bulb and could not easily accomplish it. Please take significant precautions before attempting this, as the bulbs have a lot of pressure inside.
good to know!

My 2003 Saturn L uses H11, and I have bought Osram Night Breaker for more than 10 years. The latest version (which I bought in 2019) was Osram Night Breaker Unlimited.

I've never noticed a difference with any of the "upgrade" Sylvania options we sell at work at the parts store. In fact if you scan them in the computer they ALL SHOW THE SAME LUMENS and the only difference is progressively higher color temp and shorter lifespan. Assuming that data is correct, it might not be, but it would explain why I've never been able to see further with any of those bulbs vs the cheap basic stock replacement types.

I end up putting good quality well designed LED headlights in everything.

I've tried HIDs but the mess of wiring and warm up times are just annoying.
If they have bluer color temperature light, and shorter life, from running hotter rather than a blue film on the bulb, then the odds are very high that it is producing more lumens. Bulbs with a blue coating are a crazy way to satisfy customers misguided into thinking color color temp light is better, while reducing bulb output.

However the human eye has far more sensitive, yet fewer, blue cones, so can't see colder color temp as well, gets overloaded from it so the cold color temp bulbs can seem dazzlingly bright but it is more glare than useful to see by.

LED aftermarket drop-ins are illegal and usually cause the same problem, higher glare to vision ratio trying to eek out a few more lumens. There's no "good", or "quality", or "well designed" that changes this. A warmer color temperature will help with glare but won't make them legal for public roads.

Something that many don't remember when comparing new to their old bulbs is that bulbs, whether incan or LED, reduce in lumen output as they age, and their headlight wiring may have suffered some corrosion, resistance increase over time.

Drop in LED bulbs weren't designed to be used in halogen housings, yes.

But drop in LED headlamps like TruckLite & JW Speaker are entirely legal.

Of the above two, I prefer JW Speaker as their color temperature is lower than the TruckLites.

An added bonus of the above two drop in headlamps is that they kick out full output from 10v upwards, a bonus for folks with mandated factory DRLs (can't install relayed harnesses on these).

LED aftermarket drop-ins are illegal and usually cause the same problem, higher glare to vision ratio trying to eek out a few more lumens. There's no "good", or "quality", or "well designed" that changes this. A warmer color temperature will help with glare but won't make them legal for public roads.

Drop in LED bulbs weren't designed to be used in halogen housings, yes.

But drop in LED headlamps like TruckLite & JW Speaker are entirely legal.

No they are not legal. No drop-ins (meaning LED bulb to replace incan bulb, dropped into incan housing) are legal for public road, headlight use. However from a brief search I don't even see any drop-ins from these companies, care to provide a link? Maybe it's the terminology where we disagree, an entire headlight assembly including reflector is not a "drop in", but many of those are also illegal for public road use unless designed for a specific vehicle as the primary and only headlight replacement.

Ars Technica contacted NHTSA who stated:

"There are currently no LED headlamp replaceable bulbs that meet federal safety standards. NHTSA is aware of illegal retrofit kits that are being sold to consumers and works closely with US Customs and Border Protection to prevent shipments containing these non-compliant headlamp bulbs from entering the United States. NHTSA continuously researches emerging technologies with the potential to enhance roadway safety."

Problem is, it is difficult to catch them all as they come in. They did force one major brand, Diode Dynamics, to recall them.

Were you fooled by the nonsense claim some sellers make, that they're "DOT Approved" or "Compliant"? That is not how DOT works. It's a self-certification by the manufacturer and something like a motorcycle helmet can meet DOT standards but there is no DOT standard to make a legal LED drop in, so impossible.

You misunderstood me, perhaps you missed my differentiating replacement illegal LED bulbs in incan housings from the entire headlamp assembly.

A drop in LED headlamp, from TruckLite & JW Speaker, is entirely legal, and they're OE suppliers to big rigs as well.

We appear to be saying the same things, albeit flip sides of the same coin.

Here, for example, are various FMVSS/DOT/SAE/NHTSA/ECE complaint LED headlamps from JW Speaker - https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/categories/headlights/

Last edited:
its said the housing-reflector is quite important as i ran E-Codes on my 2001 jetta that had a better light pattern + using relays to work around thinner longer runs that limit the power the bulb ACTUALLY gets can improve standard wattage bulbs + on that last note be aware over wattage bulbs can melt wires as well as parts in the housing so be CAREFUL unless everything gets upgraded!!

Back