Your favorite fast yet inexpensive car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto makers keep raising the bar with new cars. Just saw the new Acura TL, 280 hp out of a V6 family sedan!

Say your goal was to reliably achieve 12-13 second quarter miles in a daily driver with somewhat reasonable fuel economy. Without going into higher end cars like the M5, etc., what car/truck would you choose and why? How much would it cost in mods to reach your goal? You can name classic cars, muscle cars, imports, whatever.

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Auto makers keep raising the bar with new cars. Just saw the new Acura TL, 280 hp out of a V6 family sedan!

Say your goal was to reliably achieve 12-13 second quarter miles in a daily driver

Why would that be my goal? Just run those stop signs and lights.
LOL.gif

I definitely have to put my own car on that list, my 98 Corvette. You can pick up a Corvette of this vintage in the 10-15k range in the US, and it doesn't take much to get them to run in the 12s in the quarter mile. Mine has run a best time of 12.81 at 109.4, with just a few hundred $ in modifications (Vararam cold air intake and custom computer tuning)

My car has been an incredibly reliable daily driver, with 103k on it the car still feels like a new car. Handling and braking are amazing, and it's design is still fresh enough that people often mistake it for a new Corvette (obviously those people don't know about the new C6 model, but my point is made, the design still appears fresh to those not in the know of the newer redesign)

GTO
Trans Am WS6
Corvette C5 or newer

For go-fast there is no substitute for the LSx engines. They make a great noise, have plenty of torque, and have been hauling heavy American cars 1320 feet at a very rapid pace for many years now.

Most of the above can be had for less than $15K now, too. And, they'll all cruise along doing 25 mpg on the highway when race day is over.

Last edited:
No doubt, the Subaru Impreza. You can choose it as powerful as you want, and you can actually race it, either on road, or rally. Full time AWD makes it one of the safest stock cars, it loves snow, never loses its footing, it's FUN to drive it, it's quiet, comfortable, and not only inexpensive, but down right CHEAP.
I love my Subaru (got two in my garage :) )

My 2008 Mustang GT! My daily commute is 30 miles each way, mostly highway. The MPG never drops below 23-24 and the car is a blast to drive. I have not run it at the track yet but it's pretty common for the new Mustangs to run 13.5 to 13.7 in the quarter. Great bang for the buck!

wcbcruzer said:
Auto makers keep raising the bar with new cars. Just saw the new Acura TL, 280 hp out of a V6 family sedan!quote]

Cadillac gets 304hp out of their V6 in the CTS
grin2.gif

But, yeah we've come a long way with powerful and economical family sedans. I remember in 1984 the Chevy Celebrity EuroSports and Pontiac 6000 STE models were considered "screamers" with just 130hp! An IROC Z or Mustang GT of that era only had in the 250hp range.

My have times gotten better!

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Infinity G35 has been at 306 hp for years. Gas mileage isn't the greatest, though. The TL Type S has been at 285 hp.

It hasn't been that long. When I drove one three years ago it was only good for 260hp (G35x).

For $25k you can get all weather traction and 0-60 in 4.7 seconds along with quarter mile at 13.5 secs/102mph in the revised(2008 224hp->2009 265hp) but still ugly 2009 Subaru WRX base.

It steeps on the STI(300hp) toes now which has a $10k premium.

I drive the grown up's WRX a 2005 Legacy GT turbo with STI motor detuned to be civilized.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Turbo...possibly the best bang-for-buck car EVER built!

Heck my little base model Cobalt with AT has an impressive amount of scoots to it for a $12K (new) car! Err.. then again, my other vehicle is a minivan.

Joel

Fast and inexpensive means large engine and light chassis. Those CRX with 2.0, 2.2L engine dropped into them are very quick.

If you really want a fast and inexpensive car, nothing beats a motorbike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back