Your Favorite City

West Jefferson North Carolina. You can ride through town in 2 minutes and be deep in the mountains quickly. Winters can be harsh.

And why.

1. Chicago because I grew up there and it is very familiar to me.
2. NYC, the museums and night life. Could be my least favorite city also.
3. Amsterdam. If you've been there you know why.
4. London, cosmopolitan. World hub, vibrant, historical.
5. Hong Kong, scenic, shopping, resturants
6. Miami, weather. Beautiful women

Have a city you like?
I love(d) Chicago so much, that when I got a new phone in September 2022, I got a 312 area code. My wife said aren't people gonna think you're from Chicago?

It was because 215 was not available and I had to get a new line and not upgrade, to get the brand new iPhone 13 Pro 256/no trade for $310. That's the trick, the promo is only for new lines, not upgrades. Now we could give my wife's (she did it too) iPhone Xs 256 max to my mom, still had 94% battery capacity after 4 years. 215 became available so I changed it again.

No longer like NYC though know it like the back of my hand. We're forced to go there regularly due to relatives. My wife worked many years in Manhattan and no longer misses it (she did at first).

I might do this:

1. LA
2. Toronto
3. Montreal
4. Chicago

I live in the Phila suburbs and it's a great place for affordability. But we don't have the world class aspect of the above. If there's any city I envy, it's Boston. Part of it is the New England mentality (grew up there). Part of it is how all a person had to do was buy a house around 2000 and they're multi-millionaires by virute of the house alone. I don't think that's true with Calif because it was already high when purchased.

I know Montreal like the back of my hand and boy did we spend our college years up in that city

edit p.s. what do I mean by affordability--say we go out to a restaurant and we have a favorite dish that still costs $13. Go down to DC and the same dish is $20. Go up to NYC and it's $18. Or say somehow we got away with partial day daycare for $300/mo. walking distance from home. since we're not wealthy, it feels good to pay less (maybe this will help upon retirement due to savings)
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
1. Munich
2. Prague
3. Paris
4. Ottawa, Ontario
5. Philadelphia
Thank you for including us as #5!

I have never been to 1-3, but my wife and her cousins have relatives in Munich. I would love to visit Prague. Ottawa, had been to many times while in college. Once, during a massive snowstorm, I was amazed at how fast the snow was being removed. As I got older, Toronto somehow snuck in there as being my favorite Canadian city. Poor Montreal lol (had the opportunity to go to Toronto many times for work and my father in-law lived there having since moved out of Canada).

I'm guessing the question is for a visitor.

Mine would be:

Geneva, Switzerland - quiet, clean and classy place
Beijing, China - ultra modern, clean place, polite people
Chicago - good blues joints
Bridgetown, Barbados - nice people, clean place

I really enjoyed San Francisco for the western Pacific pioneer vibe and history. The architecture, restaurants, museums (especially Musée Mécanique for vintage arcades), Alcatraz etc. I went in December a few years back, it was foggy and a little cold but doable and definitely memorable. I hope the city can be cleaned up and the social issues resolved because SF is a jewel of the west to me.

My small town of 5000 is too large for me. I used to enjoy country living. (except for the lack of shopping and eating places)
We have two stop lights in town, two too many!;)

I REALLY enjoyed a place in KS where we used to go hunting. Walk outside and see NO lights at night! No neighbor lights, cell phone towers, etc. Only the moon and stars, very peaceful. Nearest neighbor was 4 miles away. But the country roads were nasty after a rain. I can't imagine the winter conditions. Closest town over 400 population was 25 miles away.

Kirksville MO
Home of Truman State University.
Birthplace of Osteopathic Medicine.

Didn't say it the best, but it is my favorite.

In no particular order....

Singapore
Tokyo
Phoenix
San Diego
Stellenbosch (but that's really more of a college/wine country town than a city)

Long term I don't want to spend a time in these places but public transportation is good, easy access to food 24x7.. Bangkok, Chicago, Vientiane .. maybe NYC. I'd like to visit Toyoko and probably like it there. Couple others I couple probably list but haven't been there yet.

Back