Your birthday in Georgia

Your vehicle tag renews on your birthday in GA. If you are lucky and live in one of the 13 Metro Atlanta counties that still believes they are doing something good with emissions testing, you must first have an emissions test performed on each vehicle in your name before renewing your tag each year.

I have 4 vehicles, two trailers and I need to check on my boat registration. Oh yeah, my Dl expires tomorrow also. I have to go out of town for work tomorrow, I forgot about all this stuff the last two weeks, I have had 19 other things between work and personal life get in the way...

Yaaaaaay!!!

OOF

In MD, registrations are on a fiscal year to the vehicle themselves, not related to anything other than when they are initially registered. Our licenses are birthday related.

Good luck

How far in advance can you renew this stuff?

Probably 60 days. Yes, I know, it's all on me. I always seem to forget it. Which reminds me.... for the last two years, we've run out of Propane ON A FRIDAY NIGHT around the time of my birthday. Not this year, satan. I am calling the propane company to empty even more money out of my wallet this week!

I'm frustrated that Colorado still has emissions testing. A number of large metropolitan cities found that the cost of infrastructure employees etc were more than it brought in. St. Paul/ Minneapolis found no improvement in air quality for the 5 years that they had it.

Emissions testing in GA is done by private businesses that are licensed by the state.

It's 100% hogwash. Over 95% of the vehicles pass.

It's only for 1996 and up (OBD-II connectors).
It's only on passenger, non-commercial vehicles (3/4 ton and up are exempt)

That 1984 Hooptie in front of you spewing 19 lbs of "carbon" into the air every 2.3 miles isn't affected. My pristinely-maintained vehicle is.

Want me to become a fan and think it's doing something? How about we do it once every 36 months for vehicles 3-15 years old. I could get behind that.

Emissions testing in GA is done by private businesses that are licensed by the state.

It's 100% hogwash. Over 95% of the vehicles pass.

It's only for 1996 and up (OBD-II connectors).
It's only on passenger, non-commercial vehicles (3/4 ton and up are exempt)

That 1984 Hooptie in front of you spewing 19 lbs of "carbon" into the air every 2.3 miles isn't affected. My pristinely-maintained vehicle is.

Want me to become a fan and think it's doing something? How about we do it once every 36 months for vehicles 3-15 years old. I could get behind that.
To be fair, the ODBII is but a check: does the car think it's running fine? if so, pass. Life is good. Should be a quick 1-2 minute thing. That 95% pass shows that stuff is really reliable today--or people are actually staying on top of repairs, and getting stuff fixed when the CEL goes on. [Or maybe there's a bit of corruption? is that what you fear? Wouldn't blame you, up here the computer system is tied to the state somehow, so it's not easy to cheat the system.]

But you are right, the older "gross polluters" are the ones doing the most "damage"--yet get a free pass. Technically--they met emissions requirements for the year of manufacture*, and we like to grandfather things in the general case. Approximately no one is going to like seeing a ban (de facto or otherwise) on say anything pre-1990. Or worse, anything older than say 20 years, where, as each calendar year goes by, yet another model year is considered "gross polluting" and thus somehow forced off the road.

[*Ok I don't know what they are in spec, but no one is checking, and if they were, they'd only have to pass the far-worse limits that existed in the past.]

Wife and I have 3 vehicles (used to be 4) but two in her name, one in mine. At least it put a few months between getting vehicles into the shop. That helps, sorta. And now I have two of my fleet "aged out" and no longer have to pass ODBII checks.

90 days in GA.

The emission test results are reported directly to the state. Renewal can be done online. Emissions fee is $20-$25.
DL renewal can be online. Vehicle tags you have to go to the county office or a kiosk in some nasty Kroger....

4x25 = $100 for emissions, plus the time to take the vehicle to the test center, which is usually out of the way.

4x25 or so for each tag = $100

2x25 for trailers = $50

Boat was $70 for 3 years

DL was $27 (online) for 5 more years

Maybe I need to stop watching Live PD and Police Chase videos on YT where nearly 90% of the people stopped or chased have no ID, no DL, no current vehicle registration and generally no insurance.....

DL renewal can be online. Vehicle tags you have to go to the county office or a kiosk in some nasty Kroger....

4x25 = $100 for emissions, plus the time to take the vehicle to the test center, which is usually out of the way.

4x25 or so for each tag = $100

2x25 for trailers = $50

Boat was $70 for 3 years

DL was $27 (online) for 5 more years

Maybe I need to stop watching Live PD and Police Chase videos on YT where nearly 90% of the people stopped or chased have no ID, no DL, no current vehicle registration and generally no insurance.....
You can renew your tags online. I do it every year.

Interesting thought...that 1984 "hooptie" might just be more fuel efficient than your 202X ride you are sporting. So in reality, it is emitting less carbon. The difference is in the amount of HC, PM, CO and NOx that it is producing.

Carbon production from a hydrocarbon fueled vehicle is directly proportional to the amount of fuel it uses. All the emissions stuff we talk about are tied to OTHER emissions...NOT carbon. The only thing dictating carbon emissions is fuel economy.

There were cars made in the 80's and 90's that would beat the best of the best in fuel economy today, but the other emissions they produced are what is being regulated.

Interesting thought...that 1984 "hooptie" might just be more fuel efficient than your 202X ride you are sporting. So in reality, it is emitting less carbon. The difference is in the amount of HC, PM, CO and NOx that it is producing.

Carbon production from a hydrocarbon fueled vehicle is directly proportional to the amount of fuel it uses. All the emissions stuff we talk about are tied to OTHER emissions...NOT carbon. The only thing dictating carbon emissions is fuel economy.

There were cars made in the 80's and 90's that would beat the best of the best in fuel economy today, but the other emissions they produced are what is being regulated.
lol..No. Never. Besides the numbers running on the road as daily drivers are few to a tick over zero.

Hillbilly Deluxe should move to a Yankee state.

Ehh, there's trade offs. While I do not need emissions testing in my county and car registrations are $38 a year (this includes SUV's and a big ol' Ford Excursion) and trucks with weight 1 class is $65, you have to get a yearly inspection...

I don’t get the birthday connection - I buy a vehicle in August and when new it’s good for 2 years.
After that it needs inspection and registration each August.

All I can say about Georgia is that they really shouldn't call themselves the peach state when South Carolina grows more and California grows a dozen times more.

Back