You think your car is expensive to maintain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow, I just can’t work up a lot of sympathy for the gentleman.

Local McLaren story: My local Discount Tire had a McLaren 570S (?) taking up one the service bays for several weeks while they waited for a new wheel from the UK for the car. The owner, an Asian undergrad student at the nearby state university who must’ve had access to more money than God, bent the left front wheel and roached the tire on a Michigan pothole. Apparently, they also had to replace all of the other tires on the car, too, to match the new left front. It was going to be a $7K deal, per the Discount Tire staffer. Best part: The car still had the “temporary” registration tag taped into the rear window.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If you are rich you’ll have no problems with maintenance and repairs.

I'd be a little miffed if a pothole cost me my supercar for a few weeks, no matter how much money I had.

Everyone in here is an expert on car repairs--right?? How do I know this? I have read many statements in here where some of the members do all, yes all their car repairs,,,right...Now what is the definition of "all car repairs".?

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Everyone in here is an expert on car repairs--right?? How do I know this? I have read many statements in here where some of the members do all, yes all their car repairs,,,right...Now what is the definition of "all car repairs".?

Well, I'm gathering parts to pull the engine+trans on my Carrera. Going to pull it and do some upgrades this winter.

Don't know if that counts or not.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Somehow, I just can’t work up a lot of sympathy for the gentleman.

Local McLaren story: My local Discount Tire had a McLaren 570S (?) taking up one the service bays for several weeks while they waited for a new wheel from the UK for the car. The owner, an Asian undergrad student at the nearby state university who must’ve had access to more money than God, bent the left front wheel and roached the tire on a Michigan pothole. Apparently, they also had to replace all of the other tires on the car, too, to match the new left front. It was going to be a $7K deal, per the Discount Tire staffer. Best part: The car still had the “temporary” registration tag taped into the rear window.

Haha before I even saw you say Michigan my first thought was this sounds like MSU

Originally Posted By: Aero540T
Haha before I even saw you say Michigan my first thought was this sounds like MSU

Bingo.

My last VW bug had parts gleaned from over 2 dozen cars. Changing engines and trans axles was 12 pack weekend. After a while I did my own alignments on the BMWs.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

I'd be a little miffed if a pothole cost me my supercar for a few weeks, no matter how much money I had.

A true rich guy would have an extra set of wheels and tires ready to go, with a mobile service to come deliver them anytime he had a pothole related incident in his McLaren…

I am guessing that there are many BITOG members who, if they owned this car, would be using SuperTech oil a Fram Filter and run 15,000 OCIs.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I am guessing that there are many BITOG members who, if they owned this car, would be using SuperTech oil a Fram Filter and run 15,000 OCIs.

I'd run an Ultra on there without hesitation, if it met the specs.

Real BITOGer would be running SAE 40.

Naw, if you were a real millionaire, you'd have a few other supercars to drive. One of the owners at my previous job used to have several cars. He did have a Ferrari and the usual assortments of BMW's, Land Rovers, and a few other exotics. We'd use to run out and look at his car when he'd get a new one every few months.

Too bad Lexus doesn't make the LFA anymore
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Naw, if you were a real millionaire, you'd have a few other supercars to drive. One of the owners at my previous job used to have several cars. He did have a Ferrari and the usual assortments of BMW's, Land Rovers, and a few other exotics. We'd use to run out and look at his car when he'd get a new one every few months.

It's true, that could be the beater Mclaren 570s that you eat in, let other people drive and short trip.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Too bad Lexus doesn't make the LFA anymore
smile.gif

I think you can still buy new ones. There are some dealers with unsold stock.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I would not want an exotic. They are pretty to look at but yuck.

Being rich does not make you smart in decisions.

He went in naive that not only he was buying only Uber expensive maintenance super car but really race car made road legal. I have extreme interest in driving one and no interest owning one.

Seems akin to going out and buying MiG fighter jet plane on the used market. Not meant for longevity.

Wow...where to begin. Not with the McLaren but the self-absorbed, idiot owner. Who video's himself complaining post-purchase? Not realizing what he got himself into? Who isn't capable of driving it as it was meant to be driven? Instead just uses it to pick up his kid from school?

WTH?

Talk about a poser....

If you wanna play, ya gotta pay.

Give it a rest dude.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back