You think I should go 10K miles on these filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Hey guys. Sorry if this another stupid question to you guys. Rather than asking I would usually just try it but I have a few concerns. The car is a 2000 Ford Focus with 2.0L Zetec engine. About 70K on the Odometer. Engine has been properly treated with Auto-RX about 10K miles ago. The filter is a Motorcraft and the oil is Royal Purple 5W-20 (over the counter). I usually leave my oil in for about 7000-7500 miles but now I'm tinkering with the thought of going 10,000 miles on this setup and sending it in for an oil analysis. I don't have doubts that the oil will keep up and my car loses 1/2 a quart every 6 months so that's nothing to worry about. I just wonder if the Motorcraft will last that long? Keep in mind I'm in Chicago and the weather can get horrible. I'm also toying with the ideas of trying 10,000 on a Purolater Premium Plus. The concerns with that is the ADBV being made of Nitrile rather than Silicone. Is the Motorcraft made of Nitrile also? What do you guys think?

Can you get Pure One. I would think that you "could" go 10K miles on one. Why not run the motorcraft to 5K, swap out filter, top off, and do a UOA at 7500 then 10K.

I'd go with the Motorcraft. Remember to use the FL-2005S, that is the proper filter for your engine, NOT the FL-400S.

10k is still getting up there IMO, I'd try it once and then cut it apart.

-T

quote:

Can you get Pure One. I would think that you "could" go 10K miles on one. Why not run the motorcraft to 5K, swap out filter, top off, and do a UOA at 7500 then 10K.

I can get any filter I want. I just wanted to stick with Motorcraft or Purolator because I know they're great quality for a cheap price and those are the filters I already have stocked. I know they're not really intended to go long periods and hold extra dirt I just wanted to see what the outcome would be. Kind of scares me. I am worried about the weather conditions taking their toll on the filters. But I think I'm going to go 7500 and from that point see if the oil and filter might live any longer depending on how the car is running and how the oil feels.

BTW comments still appreciated.

With your polarized extremes of climate, I'd be doing 6 month OCIs. You should be able to run the cheapest of filters to 5k without issues. They're not even stressed in most services at this mileage. Time and neglect is about the only thing that will hurt a filter.

For your type of mileage (which can't be much more than 10-12k a year), I'd be satisfied with 7.5k on a filter/OCI. A Premium plus will work fine ...it just won't do the job that the PureOne will do.

quote:

A Premium plus will work fine ...it just won't do the job that the PureOne will do.

How so? Meaning it won't filter as well or it won't hold as much dirt? I don't like the Pureone's better because according to the test I saw done a short while ago they don't flow very well and they are considerably more expensive.

Purolator PureOne filters better, flows more than anyone needs, and yes, they do cost more.

I would think 10K is a little much, even on a filter as rugged as a Mobil 1/K&N... I have found the Baldwin filters, to have the canister strength of the Mobil/K&N, and can be had cheaper.

I think also, a new lower-cost filter, changed out at 5K, would be a wise thought, too.

An oil filter is cheap, compared to the job they do... You could change it out THREE times for $10 & some change, on your way to 10K. I like overkill, when it can be had cheaply...

While not your Zetec engine but in the wife's 2002 Explorer I ran a Motorcraft FL820S for slightly over 10,000 miles and the filter held up great. The silicone anti drain back was still pliable and held the oil trapped in the oil filter. Plus my UOA was real good and the filter returned low insolubles. Use the Motorcraft oil filter to 10,000 miles then have an UOA done to see how the oil and filter hold up in your engine.

I have a 1996 Contour with the 2.0L Zetec but my oil filter is the FL200 with the silicone ADBV. It's just about the same size as the FL820S used in most modern Ford V-8. I feel confident this filter could easily do a 10,000 mile OCI based upon other Motorcraft oil filters performance with the silicone ADBV.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back