You know you're a mechanic when...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking to a couple of friends last night, we got onto the topic of how you know when you're a proper mechanic,

Let me give a couple of examples;

You know you're a mechanic when every knuckle has skin missing and you think its normal

You know you're a mechanic when you keep a supersize tub of Swarfega in the shower to use as shampoo and body soap

You know you're a mechanic when you've given serious consideration to the possibility of using moly grease as lube..

Any more??

When you can properly tighten a fastener, from the tiniest screw to a large bolt, by feel. OK, you might use a torque wrench on the bigger stuff. But at least you haven't stripped a fastener in decades.

The torches come out before the penetrating fluid!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas

You know you're a GOOD mechanic when every knuckle has skin missing and you think its normal.

Any more??

You know you are a GOOD mechanic when you run a vehicle with Lucas electronics and it's reliable.
Sorry for the humorous jab. It's just that my neighbor has had a '71 Land Rover sitting outside for 15+ years in the elements...and he won't sell it to me.

Talking to a couple of friends last night, we got onto the topic of how you know when you're a proper mechanic,

You know you're a mechanic when every knuckle has skin missing and you think its normal

You know you're a mechanic when you keep a supersize tub of Swarfega in the shower to use as shampoo and body soap

You know you're a mechanic when you've given serious consideration to the possibility of using moly grease as lube..

Any more??

The Snap-On guy (gal) gives you a jacket for free since you buy so much.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
When you can properly tighten a fastener, from the tiniest screw to a large bolt, by feel. OK, you might use a torque wrench on the bigger stuff. But at least you haven't stripped a fastener in decades.

Thats an "old mechanic".

Originally Posted By: Kruse

You know you're a GOOD mechanic when every knuckle has skin missing and you think its normal.

Any more??

You know you are a GOOD mechanic when you run a vehicle with Lucas electronics and it's reliable.
Sorry for the humorous jab. It's just that my neighbor has had a '71 Land Rover sitting outside for 15+ years in the elements...and he won't sell it to me.

Lucas elrctrical components have got to be the [censored] components out there!!
*BUT*
Does it rain in Kansas? Lucas have a bad rep in the rain so you shouldn't have any problems
wink.gif

(but i'm no meteorologist, maybe its wet where you are?)

Originally Posted By: Donald

Any more??

The Snap-On guy (gal) gives you a jacket for free since you buy so much.

you must be rich! Mac and Facom are much cheaper in the UK..

Lucas elrctrical components have got to be the [censored] components out there!!
*BUT*
Does it rain in Kansas? Lucas have a bad rep in the rain so you shouldn't have any problems
wink.gif

(but i'm no meteorologist, maybe its wet where you are?)

My area of Kansas rains hard in the spring, usually hot and dry in the summer. Down to -20F in the winter and up to 110F in the summer. The Land Rover is owned by a lawyer who doesn't live on the property and has no mechanical skills, but when I talked to him last, he said this will be his next "project". The least he could do would be to pull it under a roof of some sort.

When your congratulating people on there new vw, with a smile. While your thinking about what a overprized pile of [censored] egobooster it is.

Last edited:
When something that is suppsed to be simple and is fighting you, you get so angry that you throw away whatever it is you are holding in your hands.
You get even angryer when you realize that the thing you just has thrown away is the one you need now and now you cant find it...
You then get even angryer and punches the wall in the garage and hits a post that was behind the drywall and ends up breaking your hand...

Or when you throw away the tool you are holding it bounces on the floor and breaks a window on its out of the garage....

You know you're a GOOD mechanic when most of the time your knuckles look like the average Joe's(most use latex gloves these days)... It's like playing pool, when your pulling/pushing on a bolt the refuses to budge, one considers the angle of travel once the wrench slips...

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Some jobs are actually easier with your eyes closed.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

No doubt. I'm not an old mech by any means, but know I could challenge a blind man's "sight-by-hand" capability

Originally Posted By: TFB1

You know you're a GOOD mechanic when most of the time your knuckles look like the average Joe's(most use latex gloves these days)... It's like playing pool, when your pulling/pushing on a bolt the refuses to budge, one considers the angle of travel once the wrench slips...

I know what you mean in that regard, and I agree. What I didnt articulate very well is that my hands are much too big and a lot of my scrapes and cuts come from trying to reach the thing in the first place!

Originally Posted By: shDK
When your congratulating people on there new vw, with a smile. While your thinking about what a overprized pile of [censored] egobooster it is.

LOL!!! How true!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back