You know its hot when.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AdRock
I'll take really hot over really cold any day.

I agree! I hate winter with a passion and absolutely love it when the hot weather arrives!

Originally Posted By: Patman

I agree! I hate winter with a passion and absolutely love it when the hot weather arrives!

At least I'm not the only one.

Originally Posted By: Warlord
I would certainly die in such heat. How are you supposed to exercise in that kind of weather?

I had a hard time even excercising indoors today. We have a portable building for an excercise room at my office. The a/c is a window unit which was turned off overnight. It made the room like an oven by the time I went to excercise at lunch. It was like going into a freezer after stepping out into the 97 degree heat after a 20 minute run on the treadmill. I may as well have just run the dam outside my office instead.

Not much of a fan of temp extremes ... but I'll take cold over heat. Miami was the hottest I recall - like a blast furnace.

I need time to get used to the weather.
We went from extended abnormal cold to super hot instantly in the Chicago area last week.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
It's 8:30 PM and currently 92 degrees outside. High is 101 tomorrow. We haven't had a high of less than ninety degrees in 20+ days.

Oh, and I live right next to a lake, so it's particularly stifling.

Same here. Except that I'm not next to a lake. Still humid as [censored] though

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I dunno. I can cope with cold better then heat! After I start doing any kind of physical work when it's hot out, I get drenched with sweat. It starts dripping on my glasses. AHHHHHHHH, I hate it!

But I'll likely start [censored] once winter sets in again.

In the heat, if I'm working outside I'll sweat, lose weight, and it's easy to cool off.

In the cold, I don't want to go outside, I can't go tubing, the weekly car meets can be unbearable, I end up inside plumping up.

No upside to the cold as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
No upside to the cold as far as I'm concerned

My kids birthdays are in June, July, and Sept.

I don't even know what "cold" is. I've never lived anywhere that hits single digits. I've visited the snow before and worked in zero degree sunny weather but never lived in it. Heat is normal, although I currently try to reserve myself to temperate weather.

On the other hand I've lived and worked in triple digit weather, often in the triple digit teen range of the thermometer. nasty!

Originally Posted By: NJC
Not much of a fan of temp extremes ... but I'll take cold over heat. Miami was the hottest I recall - like a blast furnace.

Miami is actually not that hot of a climate compared to places like Texas or Nevada or Arizona in the summer. Do you know that the hottest temperature ever recorded in Miami is 100 degrees? (nowhere near the US record high of 134F in Greenland Ranch, CA) And the average high in Miami in the summer is 90 degrees. Hot, but not scorching hot. It's probably my perfect climate (especially since it rarely gets cold even in the middle of winter-the average low in January is around 60 degrees)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
No upside to the cold as far as I'm concerned

My kids birthdays are in June, July, and Sept.

It took me a minute to figure out where you were going with this one Gary, but then it hit me that 9 months prior to those months it was pretty cold
banana2.gif

I like it hot. I don't feel so bad about jumping straight on the highway after morning startup. My bike and car barely go into fast idle when it's like this. My car normally jumps to 2100 in winter...it barely clears 1400 right now.

I just love that you can do ANYTHING outside when it's like this. Cold, wet weather depresses me. I guess my mood is directly dependent on sunshine.

On the negative side...the electric bills from June - October are an eye-opener.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
On the negative side...the electric bills from June - October are an eye-opener.

I lived in the Dallas area when they threw the "ON" switch at Glennrose. (sp?) The electricity bills basically doubled from one month to the next because of that.
If I remember right, the original estimate for that power plant was about $100 million and with all the cost overruns, it turned out to be over $1 billion.
Hey, somebody's got to pay for it....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ViragoBry

During the cold winter months my natural gas bills are high because of running my furnace so much, but once the hot weather sets in they end up being about $100 less per month. In fact even with a very hot summer up here my combined total for electricity and natural gas is less than it is during the cold winter months. So if it were hot up here all year round I'd spend less on my utilities.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: NJC

Miami is actually not that hot of a climate compared to places like Texas or Nevada or Arizona in the summer. Do you know that the hottest temperature ever recorded in Miami is 100 degrees? (nowhere near the US record high of 134F in Greenland Ranch, CA) And the average high in Miami in the summer is 90 degrees. Hot, but not scorching hot. It's probably my perfect climate (especially since it rarely gets cold even in the middle of winter-the average low in January is around 60 degrees)

The humidity in the south is what makes 90F weather unbearable. Greenland ranch was probably at 10-15% humidity when it was 134F.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I don't even know what "cold" is. I've never lived anywhere that hits single digits. I've visited the snow before and worked in zero degree sunny weather but never lived in it. Heat is normal, although I currently try to reserve myself to temperate weather.

Snow is like an eccentric uncle. Fun to visit occasionally but you wouldn't want to live with him.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

The humidity in the south is what makes 90F weather unbearable. Greenland ranch was probably at 10-15% humidity when it was 134F.

+1. Except humidity would be under 10% when it's at a max there.

I will take 100f in the Southwest over 85F in the Southeast.

Southwest heat doesn't feel like you are in someones armpit.

And a dry summer climate means you doesn't have a lot of moisture in the atmosphere holding in the heat at night. Even Death Valley cools off an average of 30F at night from it's high temperatures in the summer.

BTW, Patman, Greenland Ranch is in Death valley roughly where the Furnace Creek in is. Just a short drive from the lowest spot in Death Valley.

I like the place but I only go there in the Late Fall, Winter or early Spring.

Last edited:
Yeah, man
grin2.gif
..but it's a dry heat!! - Hudson

I'm venting to atmosphere in evaporative cooling mode @ 75F/45+/-%RH. I was that way when I was a young man ..much lighter. I'd have the AC on in the car in salesman mode (that's where you would be wearing a warm coat as a gas jockey and a suit would show up and the air inside his car was colder than ambient ..just dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back