You couldn't make this up if you tried

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had to post this. I mean, seriously!

OFFICERS WHO THOUGHT JOHN 'GOLDFINGER' PALMER HAD A HEART ATTACK AFTER HE WAS SHOT SIX TIMES ARE DISCIPLINED BY THE FORCE
Two police officers who missed crucial signs that notorious criminal John 'Goldfinger' Palmer was murdered have been disciplined.
Essex Police revealed that 'management action' had been taken against the officers who attended the crime scene at Mr Palmer's home in South Weald, Essex, after he was found dead on June 24 last year.
The officers and paramedics initially thought the 65-year-old had died from natural causes as a result of recent keyhole surgery to his chest - missing the fact he had been shot six times at close range.
The force confirmed that the officers had not properly inspected his body and did not check his criminal history so were oblivious to his high profile.
It was not until a week later that a post-mortem examination established suspicious circumstances and a murder investigation was launched.
An Essex Police spokesman said: 'The two police officers who attended were given information that Mr Palmer had recently had surgery and that this could account for his injuries.
'However they did not carry out a full examination of the body, which would likely have raised suspicions about his injuries.
'They also did not call an inspector to the scene to confirm their assessment or check Mr Palmer's antecedents on the police national computer.
'Given the full circumstances of the information they were presented with at the time it was judged that this did not amount to gross misconduct and they have been given management action for failing to fully comply with Essex Police policy on dealing with sudden deaths.'
Details of the action against the officers were revealed as the force provided further details about the killing, saying it bore the hallmarks of a gangland hit.

Essex is the most bent place in all of England. I wouldn't be surprised if this murder was linked to the Range Rover killings from a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Essex is the most bent place in all of England. I wouldn't be surprised if this murder was linked to the Range Rover killings from a few years ago.

I don't often agree with you but I do on this. (I will say though that Kent is close).
Can you even imagine missing the fact that he had been shot, not once but six times?

I don't know about police and forensics procedures across the pond but over here the forensics investigators and or coroners are the only ones permitted to move a body (at least for the areas in which I lived). Now the police can assist if requested. Detectives usually take notes and report out only after the forensics investigators and or coroners have made their initial assessments. [Law and Order Movies not withstanding].

Depending on where the entrance (exit) wounds were located, it could very well be missed.

I was an RPO in St. Louis County and I once saw a guy that had been shot three times, the entrance wound sealed the opening, and he bled totally internally. It appeared he was shot from behind on his left side and fell to the floor landing on his right side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

I don't often agree with you but I do on this. (I will say though that Kent is close).
Can you even imagine missing the fact that he had been shot, not once but six times?

Good observation on Kent, are you English?

And I say this simply out of curiosity, but, why do you often disagree with me? I'm not trying to be arsey with you I honestly just wonder..

PM me if you'd prefer

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I don't know about police and forensics procedures across the pond but over here the forensics investigators and or coroners are the only ones permitted to move a body (at least for the areas in which I lived). Now the police can assist if requested. Detectives usually take notes and report out only after the forensics investigators and or coroners have made their initial assessments. [Law and Order Movies not withstanding].

Depending on where the entrance (exit) wounds were located, it could very well be missed.

I was an RPO in St. Louis County and I once saw a guy that had been shot three times, the entrance wound sealed the opening, and he bled totally internally. It appeared he was shot from behind on his left side and fell to the floor landing on his right side.

Mola,

Other than its existence and use as a police tool I have absolutely no knowledge of forensics so I'm interested in your experience.

Was the guy shot using solid rounds? I could understand how that might make a 'puncture' type of wound that might be missed, but Goldfinger was shot in the chest with a 12 bore whilst standing in his garden.
I've never seen the effect of a shotgun round to the chest but I imagine it would be apparent if he was laying face up.

What do you think?

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Good observation on Kent, are you English?

And I say this simply out of curiosity, but, why do you often disagree with me? I'm not trying to be arsey with you I honestly just wonder..

PM me if you'd prefer

That's ok mate, we can't all agree all of the time. I am indeed English, although I hasten to say not from Essex or Kent. I have however frequented those places and have had a few, shall we say, interesting experiences in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back