Yokohama Ascend LX - 5 stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was time to get new tires to replace the stock Goodyear ComfortTred. The traits I personally value in a tire are #1) Long Life - I dont want to be going back any time soon shopping for tires. I like my tires to last as long as possible...#2) Comfort/noise - Im at a point in life where I no longer want to feel the road. #3) True all season - if there is 6 inches of snow or a downpour I dont want to be out of luck.

I did my research guided by Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports said the Yokohama Avid Ascend has a 100k mile tread life...the highest tread life out of all its tested tires, was very good in levels of comfort/noise and wet/snow traction. I also read a few very positive reviews about this tire. The problem was Yokohama no longer makes the Avid Ascend, but now they have the "Ascend LX" so I got those and noted that Yokohama places a 85000 mile warranty on them. Also noted they gave this tire an astounding wear rating of 800.

After driving about 100 miles on these tires I am very impressed. Very quiet comfortable refined ride. The so called Goodyear "ComfortTred" was never that comfortable. It was ok to very good, but did not live up to its name. Towards the end I was going over bumps like I was riding on the springs and the road noise made it seem like I was riding in an econobox.

Its important to note these are not sport or racing tires. These are a very comfortable refined all season tire. If you are looking for sport and feeling the road these are not those tires. However, if you are looking for a quiet comfortable refined true all season tire which lasts this is it.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/avid-ascend-lx

Good to hear,
I'd take wear rating and the mileage warranty with a grain of salt.. more than a bit of marketing input on those.

Also many tires are good when new.. would be interested if you would come back to this post in a year and update.

The Yokohama AVID Ascend and AVID Ascend GT are both for sale at Tire Rack.

My son just got Ascend LX's on his 2015 Camry he chose over Goodyear not sure which model. Very happy with them so far. Got to drive them in a little snow. Made in USA.

I just picked up a set of Yokohama Avid Ascend (H-rated) for my Maxima. They weren't the best rated tire in my size, but had above average reviews. I simply couldn't beat the price, paid about $50 per tire. Getting them installed this week.

I just picked up a set of Avid Ascend GT V rated for my Fusion. They are on sale at Amazon. So far so good.I did think about the LX but wanted something that was more of a GT tire.

Maybe their passenger car tires are decent, but I had a set of Yoko Geolandar H/T 056's on the Tacoma and they were downright unsafe in the truck. Under inclimate weather situations they were absolutely horrible. They are now sitting in my garage with 10K miles on them. They have wore decent, but I can't trust them in winter. I did have a set of Avid Touring on my MK5 Jetta and they were really good in light snow and ice...

There is thread here about CR testing and performance retention. Yokohama had worst retention of initial performance.
Any tire that lasts 100K is something I would not put on my vehicle even if someone paid me. That means horrid wet performance over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back