Yes, I Am Using MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1983 Chevrolet El Camino with 366,000 miles and after reading everything I could about Marvel Mystery Oil I recently put 4 ounces in my gas tank.

I have Pmed MMO user's on here as well as reading about this product on the Net and it seems this product will do a great job of keeping my carburetor working properly as well as a good upper cylinder lubricant. I have read that using MMO will allow me to have easier startup of my vehicle.

Of course before putting in MMO I ran a bottle of Amsoil PI that I had to make sure the fuel system was clean, I have read and gotten info from others that it is good to clean out the fuel system 1st.

I went on the MMO Forum as well as asking many members here if MMO would hurt any of my carburetor seals or the float, and I was told if I used the right dose I should be fine.

If anyone else has any thoughts, experiences, helpful hints, about using MMO for carburetors I would be interested.

MMO has been around since like 1923, so I seriously doubt it would hurt carbs - that's all that was used on engines for years!

I'd love to try it, but its no longer sold in Canada. Bummer!

There were just too many positive responses from members on here for me to pass up using MMO in my gas tank. I did not get any dire warnings, and since this product has been around for 86 years that says something.

I also read that they have changed the formula, if it is safe for:

1) Cat-Converters
2) O2 Sensors

Then it should be fine for my carburetor even though I do not have a cat-converter or O2 sensor on the car.

I searched the net as hard as I could and did not find any problems except some people thought they did not feel a difference with MMO, but it is supposed to keep your fuel system working the way it should be working.

c3po:, MMO's good, but have you heard about NWC3k yet? New stuff.

From their catalog:

NWC 3000 has been tested by chemists, mechanics, governmental agencies as well as tribologists and petrologists, whom have deemed it safe to use on any conventional mechanical engine application in use today. NWC 3000 will not harm your automobile in any way, and we guarantee the results to be noticeable after your first oil change, fill up, or transmission fluid replacement.

Nosferautic Wizard Clean 3000 has been in formulation for over three decades, and is soon to be available to you, the American consumer, for sale and distribution in North America. It is an original Bavarian formulation composed entirely of mineral ester-based solutions. It is not a chemical solvent, but an all-natural cleaning agent designed to reduce and remove deposits within your engine's tolerances.

Added to your fuel, it will reduce carbon fouling and provide a clean ignition burn, even in the most corroded of fuel intakes.
It will remove water deposits and rust formulation, and reduce carbon build up in subsequent fuel ignition. Safe for all gasoline, diesel, and ethanol based fuels.

Added to transmissions, it will add a friction modifying compound that allows your transmission to shift smoothly, while gently removing built up deposits and metallic particulates that could potentially damage your transmission. NWC 3000 is safe for all domestic and imported manual, automatic, and heavy duty transmissions.

Added to your engine, NWC 3000 will restore compression, reduce knocking, improve cooling, and remove stubborn deposits that could hinder motor performance. Use 16 ounces every other oil change in place of standard engine oil.

Discover what automobile enthusiasts all over Europe have been using for decades to keep their performance demanding vehicles at the peak of excellence. Nosferautic Wizard Clean 3000, available soon for wholesale, retail, and personal purchase.

The only benefit I get from MMO is just the spark plug is cleaner, but it does not help with the combustion chamber deposit that causes ping. High dosage PEA helps to remove those hard deposit, and eliminate the ping.

With new petrol formulation that utilize synthetic friction modifier, I do not see the use of MMO anymore at my gas, I just keep the remaining for engine oil flush later.

If you want the engine quieter, you can try MMO but for my 1NZ-FE, the performance will suffer and the new gas with proper friction modifier performs better and cleaner.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
The only benefit I get from MMO is just the spark plug is cleaner, but it does not help with the combustion chamber deposit that causes ping.

That illogical - MMO cannot distinguish between location of deposits within the combustion chamber. If MMO is helping keep the plugs cleaner, then it is helping keep the entire combustion chamber cleaner - maybe not spotless, but cleaner.

I have been using MMO in everything for years at double the
recommended dose. Too Much will lower your gas mileage but
at 8oz per 10 gallons it is fine. I had a 86 cougar with the
3.8 garbadge Ford v-6 that blew a head gasket and with the
heads off you wouldn't believe how clean the pistons and
valves were. It also provides lubrication on newer vehicles
to fuel pumps and fuel injectors. It will not harm anything
God's Nectar

I ran a full qt+ through about a 20 gallon gas tank, a few weeks back prior to tomorrows NYS inspection. I am anxious to see just how well My 93 Aerostar does or doesn't do. I haven't tuned it up in well over 80,000 miles. This should be interesting. My fingers are crossed!

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
The only benefit I get from MMO is just the spark plug is cleaner, but it does not help with the combustion chamber deposit that causes ping.

That illogical - MMO cannot distinguish between location of deposits within the combustion chamber. If MMO is helping keep the plugs cleaner, then it is helping keep the entire combustion chamber cleaner - maybe not spotless, but cleaner.

I don't think is illogical, MMO keep clean the spark plug by keep the deposit soft, and this will be blown away during the start-up. The PEA cleans the combustion chamber deposit by "soften/dry" and let it flake off bit by bit.
So both are deposits exists inside the engine but the characteristics are different, so that is why MMO recommends 2 different fuel additive.

Check the MMO forum below
MMO Forum

Nothing wrong with using other additives. I have a practical solvent chemistry set in my stash room. All for the tank and CC's of course. B-12, acetone, toluene, MMO, turpentine, mineral spirits...

I know MMO was invented to clean carbs but I don't see how it cleans as well as B-12. But it does have the edge in lubricity....

Originally Posted By: BrianWC

I know MMO was invented to clean carbs but I don't see how it cleans as well as B-12. But it does have the edge in lubricity....

Agreed - MMO is designed for every tank use, so it is not going to be as strong a cleaner as any "one-time" cleanup product like B-12, Regane, Techron, 44k. etc - just like any other "every tank" product like FP Plus, Lucas UCL, etc.

These one-time cleaners are only recommended for every 3000-5000 mile use because they are so strong (at least at the one-time cleanup dosages) that they can have impacts oil films and/or cause oil contamination when in use and thus the mileage limitation recommendations.

Last edited:

I don't think is illogical, MMO keep clean the spark plug by keep the deposit soft, and this will be blown away during the start-up. The PEA cleans the combustion chamber deposit by "soften/dry" and let it flake off bit by bit.
So both are deposits exists inside the engine but the characteristics are different, so that is why MMO recommends 2 different fuel additive.

Check the MMO forum below
MMO Forum

I am just saying that if MMO is cleaning plugs, it is also cleaning the rest of the combustion chamber some as well - maybe not as well as a PEA-based cleaner (which Marvel Fuel System cleaner is), but it still cleans the entire combustion chamber, not just the spark plugs.

I also agree that MMO is not as effective cleaner as a PEA-based cleaner like MMO Fuel System cleaner (or Regane or Techron).

Your link refers to a MMO forum comment that I am very familiar with - which is a PEA-based cleaner that is very good for one-time cleanups and occasional use to supplement MMO use. OF course they will recommend both, as they sell both.

But in the past the MMO forum (Rich Kelly himself ) has also stated that starting with a one-time cleaner to get things cleaned up initially is all that is needed - and then continuous use of MMO only will keep things cleaned up - no other additional cleaners needed. This seems to be confirmed by many on here that have torn down engines with continuous use of MMO and nothing else.

Hope this helps clarify my thought FWIW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Does MMO shorten catalytic converter life ?

Well, that's a good question. I would doubt it would do that much. Matter of fact, it might help INCREASE cat life if it keeps the upper cylinder head area a tad more lubricated.

I either read this on the MMO site or maybe it was Gary Allan who said that MMO would not shorten catalytic converter life.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Does MMO shorten catalytic converter life ?

Well, that's a good question. I would doubt it would do that much. Matter of fact, it might help INCREASE cat life if it keeps the upper cylinder head area a tad more lubricated.

Sorry BrianWC but can you elaborate on why it would help INCREASE cat life if it keeps the upper cylinder head area a tad more lubricated? (I don't see the correlation between the 2)

I'll take a guess: if it reduces ring and cylinder wear, by the time the engine is later in it's life, it could have reduced oil consumption which would expose the cat. to less cat-killing additives.

Yep, that's where I was going. If it keeps the rings more lubricated it would reduce ring/piston wear and MAYBE provide a bit more seal against blow-by....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back