yearly oil changes. good or bad idea?

i forgot to ask this in the original post but would the motorcraft 910s be good enough for yearly changes even though its not synthetic?
Yes, because Ford specifies that oil filter, and if they say change the oil when the OLM says so, or after 1 year (which ever comes first), then Ford is saying their specified filter is up to that task.

Based on your image snip from your manual you could do a change once a year if you’re driving less than 10,000 miles. From your post you said you average approx 5,000 miles/year so you could use Quaker state synthetic and oil filter and change once a year and you’ll be fine. Make sure to keep receipts and write mileage/date on them for record purposes in case you ever need to exercise your warranty on the truck .
Yeah, sounds about right. Based on my UOA where I deliberately ran my Ford 3.7L IOLM down to almost zero and tested using Ford semi-sun, ---Ford's IOLM is very accurate, but with little margin of error.

Either change at the 20% mark on the IOLM, or switch to synthetic.

What is the standard length of your trips. Could B a 1/4 mi commute 5d/wk...could B one hr trip 1Xmo, etc. If the former - that's worse (change more often). If the latter change less. Dusty conditions, heavy haul on bumper? in bed?

These all are the conditions I'd B more concerned abt in considering change sequence, filter/oil quality~
Even so, less than 5K realy is a pitance.

What is the standard length of your trips. Could B a 1/4 mi commute 5d/wk...could B one hr trip 1Xmo, etc. If the former - that's worse (change more often). If the latter change less. Dusty conditions, heavy haul on bumper? in bed?

These all are the conditions I'd B more concerned abt in considering change sequence, filter/oil quality~
Even so, less than 5K realy is a pitance.

i do a lot of short trips that amount from 6-14 miles round trip, 3 days a week is my usual schedule. no towing and no hauling unless i need an appliance. my longer trips are about twice a month and average around 60 miles round trip. i live near city limits so im close to just about everything.

yeah, the 10 min trip is barely enuff to warm up motor.

"...unless i need an appliance..."
In my field (HVAC) that can B over weight ina (was it a ? ) Ranger.

So
details can B important ina on-line Q. We're on page 2, bout 30 posts'n
just gettin to that. HTH ~

We only put about 2500 miles on my wife's Santa Fe in 2020 (COVID.) I changed the oil in Spring 2021 with about 13 months on it. Wasn't even at 3K OCI yet. Changed it again in November 2021 with about 4500 miles. Yearly change in that car would be fine.

GDI vehicles, however, with fuel dilution, would be a concern doing annual changes for me. YMMV.

GDI = direct inject fuel system?
(I wish it was called 'oil dilution' as gas0line dilutes the oil.
What component failure is responsible? I have not seen these in the shop yet). Want to prepare.
I mostly take care of ol rust buckets (live rural, try'n help the locals keep running inc fab/welding).

i do a lot of short trips that amount from 6-14 miles round trip, 3 days a week is my usual schedule. no towing and no hauling unless i need an appliance. my longer trips are about twice a month and average around 60 miles round trip. i live near city limits so im close to just about everything.
Based on that I'd not do yearly OC. Too frequent short trips. What about your winters?
IMO a yearly OC is good for someone who drives 100 miles per trip 50 times a year.

Reactions: SWS
I'm only putting about 5000 miles per year on my Mazda CX 5 with the turbo engine now that I am retired. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 EP oil and a factory filter. That is stout oil and I have no qualms about going a year between changes.

Regarding Oil Life Monitors in cars, until such day that they have some kind of probe in the sump that samples the oil and runs a bunch of diagnostic tests on it, which will probably never happen, the OLM is little more than a simple program that uses a few algorithms and then suggests to owners that they should change the oil. Kind of like an idiot light. I set the maintenance point on mine to 10,000 miles so the stupid warning doesn't start popping up on my dashboard every 200 miles prior to the 5000 mile mark, and then reset it again to 10,000 miles after each oil change.

Back