Yanmar Oil Filters

Any body know the scoop on these? I know there are plenty of cross references for the older filter parts #s ,this part# shows no cross refs, but I have heard that these Yanmar filters are "heavier & stronger'' than the typical wix/napa/fram ones. Apparently these engines can exhibit high pressure to the filter and some folks are concerned. According to Fram website lookup these need a PH6607 (yanmar 3ym30).

PART # YAN119305-35170

I’d use any of the Subaru(Wix 57055, Fram PH9715, Puro 14615) or Hyundai/Kia(Wix 51334, PH9688) filters if bypass pressure is a concern and that little Yanmar uses a M20x1.5 thread.

Many Japanese engines outside of Toyotas use the same PH3593A/6607/7317 filter with 20x1.5 filter stud. Wix has thicker cans but a engine has to throw a lot of pressure at the filter and there must be an significant obstruction or damage before it bursts.

It looks identical to the Kubota equivalent. I think they’re made by Denso judging by the baseplate design.

I have a few smaller Kubota models that use this filter size. I’ve just been using Fram filters, but can understand the want for a strong filter. These have very thick cans.

I had a John Deere 4310 or 3410 tractor ? with a 32 horse power 3 cyl Yanmar and ran The John Deere or Wix filters for the 14 years i owned it.

There is no way I would buy one off amazon.... way to many counterfiets on there. In fact in the review of the link you shared one person claimed they received a filter with no markings on it.

I had purchased "Genuine Oem Toyota" center caps off amazon years ago and they were obviously fakes, good fakes, but fake none the less. They worked fine, they just weathered quickly compared to actual Toyota parts.

Here is a quote from the sailboat forum From 2004 (the YM engines came out in 2005 so mabye this refers to GM engines):

''You must use a Yanmar oil filter. No exceptions. Most automobile-type filters are designed to trap particles at the end of the cycle: oil pump, system, filter, pump, system, filter, etc. So the oil pressure the filter is exposed to is much less than the pressure just after the pump: maybe 30 psi. Yanmars place the filter just after a high pressure oil pump, at 80 psi. That pressure will blow out the paper from a auto-type filter and the residue into the engine innards. ''

''You must use a Yanmar oil filter. No exceptions. Most automobile-type filters are designed to trap particles at the end of the cycle: oil pump, system, filter, pump, system, filter, etc. So the oil pressure the filter is exposed to is much less than the pressure just after the pump: maybe 30 psi. Yanmars place the filter just after a high pressure oil pump, at 80 psi. That pressure will blow out the paper from a auto-type filter and the residue into the engine innards. ''
Sounds like a Cummins Fleetgard ES Venturi filter that’s stock on their bigger(L/M/K/X) engines.

Hmm... So Fleetguard recognizes the 119305-35170 part #. Don't see any pressure specs on it though.

ManufacturerPart NumberFleetguard Part NumberDescriptionPart RequiredUpgrade / Replacement
YANMAR11930535170LF3692Lube, Spin-On

Here is a quote from the sailboat forum From 2004 (the YM engines came out in 2005 so mabye this refers to GM engines):

Oil pump to filter, then “system”, is the usual way on engines. So that’s wrong info.

B.S.

Like others have commented, that's all crap. Every vehicle on the road has the oil filter placed in the main oil gallery right after the oil pump, and the filter basically sees full pump output pressure (same as what you would see on an oil pressure gauge if the vehicle has one).

And the last sentence is false too. The media in an oil filter only sees delta-p ... NOT the oil system pressure of 80+ PSI that exists on the output side of the pump.

I agree with you guys, Thanks for info, I will probably go with a Wix or Napa as suggested. I'm no Engineer, but I can't imagine that ''High pressure'' will do anything to filter media, Maybe high flow & pressure if the media was weak & saturated with debris & bypass valve was too high or inop. Well, when I get around to it I'll Cut & post the takeoff Yanmar Filter. Thanks, Capt

^^^ Only the delta-p across the media due to oil volume flowing through the filter is what causes stress on the media. If the filter is designed correctly, the media should be able to take the delta-p all the way up to the bypass valve PSI setting. Some filters do tear media in use as you've probably seen reported here, but it's because of bad material and/or bad manufacturing (ie, wide spaced pleats).

Back