do the clay towels remove sealant/wax when used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Claying, when done correctly, via conventional clay, clay towel or mitt can and will remove wax and or sealant. And the clay towels you linked too are very poor compared to the SM Arnold or Nanoskin towels. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Claying, when done correctly, via conventional clay, clay towel or mitt can and will remove wax and or sealant. And the clay towels you linked too are very poor compared to the SM Arnold or Nanoskin towels. Ask me how I know.

Say there how do you know?

Originally Posted By: gallydif

Say there how do you know?

I bought them thinking they would be a cheaper alternative to the higher priced ones, big mistake. Should have known better.

Agree completely with FastEddie. Yes, claying by any method removes sealant/wax. And I would be very nervous about using the Amazon linked towels on my paint.

You almost always get what you pay for.

Id be nervous about using clay towels. In real clay the dirt embeds itself into the clay. Where does the dirt go in synthetic clay?

Id be nervous about using clay towels. In real clay the dirt embeds itself into the clay. Where does the dirt go in synthetic clay?

So...after a clay-bar is used for a while...contaminants are embedded throughout that material...where does the dirt go?

In reality...re-using any clay material/product...cleaning frequently is important. So is using a proper lubricant during the process.

In the case of clay itself...there is limited longevity since the material retains the contaminants within. In the case of a clay mitt...if it is cleaned repeatedly...most of the material can be "washed" away...in the case of a clay block...the material is temporarily held in the pseudo-clay rubberized material...and also needs to be 'washed" off periodically throughout the process.

The lowest "risk" when doing a clay treatment appears to be either using a clay bar portion just once per whole-car treatment and then throwing away...or...using a clay block and frequently cleaning.

I prefer either a clean new clay bar "patty" each treatment...or else a clean clay block that is "washed" during the treatment process.

Here's some comparison info on all 3 types of clay bar products...and how they are properly used...

Clay Bar, Clay Mitt, and Clay Block Overview and Comparison

I have used almost exclusively a clay towel on the last couple of hundred cars I have detailed. I am not going back.

I have used almost exclusively a clay towel on the last couple of hundred cars I have detailed. I am not going back.

Cool. I suppose you frequently clean it during the process of using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back