Yale professor suggesting ‘mass suicide’ of elderly 'inappropriate' but understandable: Japanese commentator

It’s worth googling the topic and reading the way other news sites frame the comments from the same professor. Different coverage from other news sources… go figure.

On my father's side, My great grandmother, my grandmother had Alzheimer's disease. My father is suffering from it now. It's morbid to talk about, but when I get to that point, I'd like the option to opt-out. At that point you're not really living, just alive.
It's morbid but this is an important conversation we need to have as a society and we need to move beyond certain organizations that mandate an absolute prohibition on suicide because every one of us, everyone we love and know, will die.

Aging is not a pathological condition that needs to be cured.
It's a medical condition that should be treated as a disease. Probably 90% of diseases, heart disease, Alzheimer's, diabetes, Parkinsons, etc. are rarely unseen in people under 35. Cure or reduce aging and those debilitating diseases will never occur .

It's a medical condition that should be treated as a disease. Probably 90% of diseases, heart disease, Alzheimer's, diabetes, Parkinsons, etc. are rarely unseen in people under 35. Cure or reduce aging and those debilitating diseases will never occur .
Those diseases exist because in the entirety of human history, on average we never lived past 50 until 100 years ago. Said another way, 100 years ago and for the preceding 100,000 years that modern humans have existed, those diseases were rare because infection/trauma killed you long before those diseases manifested. We are already "cheating" death as a society and there are tens of millions of people who are alive today that 100 years ago would've been dead. Those diseases are diseases of old age that happen to old worn out bodies of people who were usually long gone.

Life expectancy has been pretty much unchanged even in the face of the obesity problem.
Yes, but life expectancy in Japan is over 7 years longer than in the US.

“This low mortality is mainly attributable to a low rate of obesity, low consumption of red meat, and high consumption of fish and plant foods such as soybeans and tea.”

Those diseases exist because in the entirety of human history, on average we never lived past 50 until 100 years ago. Said another way, 100 years ago and for the preceding 100,000 years that modern humans have existed, those diseases were rare because infection/trauma killed you long before those diseases manifested. We are already "cheating" death as a society and there are tens of millions of people who are alive today that 100 years ago would've been dead. Those diseases are diseases of old age that happen to old worn out bodies of people who were usually long gone.
100 or even 50 years ago we didn't have the medical science or technology we have today, but we still don't fully understand the cause of aging in organisms. If someone with a chronological age of 90 had the biological age of 30, he wouldn't have those diseases either.

100 or even 50 years ago we didn't have the medical science or technology we have today, but we still don't fully understand the cause of aging in organisms. If someone with a chronological age of 90 had the biological age of 30, he wouldn't have those diseases either.
I guess what I'm saying is aging is "natural". Every living thing has a finite lifespan and dies. Can you imagine the problems we'd have with population and resource allocation if life expectancy went from the world average of 72 to 120? Most people have a hard time working 30 years - can you imagine having to work for 60 years? It's totally unrealistic. The average life expectancy in ancient Rome was 30 and during the Bronze age, it was 26. This wasn't that long ago in evolutionary time. No one cheats death and the best you can hope for is a temporary stay execution.

Last edited:
I guess what I'm saying is aging is "natural". Every living thing has a finite lifespan and dies. Can you imagine the problems we'd have with population and resource allocation if life expectancy went from the world average of 72 to 120?
It's "natural" because that's all we know. No reason it can't be manipulated. How do you think the aliens survive the thousands of years of space travel to get here? Population can be controlled by birth rates as well. Imagine what more discoveries to benefit mankind Einstein would have made if was still alive.

The obese population is still too young to have an effect.
The epidemic started in the early 80's - we're getting close. I was recently thinking about my kids and their friends and the patients I see every day. Not one of my kids or their friends are even close to being overweight and in my area of Massachusetts obesity in adults and kids is actually pretty rare.

It's "natural" because that's all we know. No reason it can't be manipulated. How do you think the aliens survive the thousands of years of space travel to get here? Population can be controlled by birth rates as well. Imagine what more discoveries to benefit mankind Einstein would have made if was still alive.
Lol...Einstein once said, "A person who has not made his great contribution to science before the age of 30 will never do so." The current age for a physicist's "best work" is 48 - that is the average age at which Noble prize-winning physicists did the work that got them the Noble. That kind of creativity seems to peak and then decline well before physical health becomes an issue.

I'd say "novel" is more accurate but that includes "controversial." Research that simply agrees with a bunch of other well-established research is well...unnecessary.
Controversial was this professor's word not mine and note that my above said published and well known. Regardless, I would say controversial is more likely to get eyeballs on you, enraging someone(s) is a great way to get attention in the dialogue that exists today.

I think the word, in particular to the topic of the OP, represents perfectly how some people feel they can get themselves out there. Just my $.02.

This is not some person. This is a professor from Yale University.

Maybe a way to reduce the costs of housing in the US to his have mass suicide in the US of all people 55 and older.
That would surely lower housing costs overnight.
It is never ever right to take someone else property or life to make your life easier or better.

What a horrible thing for the professor to have thought of as a course of action in his mind.
There is always a way to address anything except poor health.
The fix more often than not requires sacrifice and putting off some easy pleasure.
Mass suicide is never ever a course of action.

I am quite sure this Yale Professor will have a very healthy mid six figure pension and lots of healthcare benefits to boost.

This isn't a new topic, by any stretch.
Have you ever read "Brave New World"?

Ever watch the movie Logan's Run?

People have been talking about this subject FOREVER.
It's not new.

This is not some person. This is a professor from Yale University.
It's Yale - what do you expect?
They riding that eugenics gravy train for 100 years now.

Yale undergrads explore University’s ties to eugenics​

The American Eugenics Society was founded on Yale’s campus in 1926, located on 185 Church St. at the eastern end of the New Haven Green. Guo added that the American Eugenics Society was “especially close to the office of former Yale President James Angell, Yale psychobiologist Robert Yerkes and Yale economist Irving Fisher.”

... Headquartered at Yale until 1938, the society established chapters in every U.S. state, supported Supreme Court cases that made the involuntary sterilization of more than 80,000 people in the U.S. constitutionally permissible, hosted “fitter family” contests and disseminated publications that advocated for eugenics policies including sterilization, immigration restriction and racial segregation. At each turn, the AES sought “a strong public movement to stem the tide of threatened racial degeneracy.” And this movement could not be waged without Yale.

Japanese culture about abandoning aging population is called Ubasute

It stopped in the last couple hundred years but you bet it is something people knew from historical texts and folklore. I wouldn't be surprised it came out of Japan.

Back then in Greece they "sacrifice" slaves who aged pass their useful lives. Honestly for Japanese population the best they can do is actually to send them to rural area and build affordable nursing homes for them, and hire 3rd world workers to help them with the lowest cost available.
this. not far-fetched at all.

i spent 11 years in japan after 2 years of 40 hr/week of language training. add to ubasute the imperative of sacrificing (gisei ni suru) the few for the good of the many. japan’s socialized medicine reimburses providers for contact-frequency over results. so, the argument goes: if the government needs to cut its costs then the least useful members of society should be sacrificed for the good of the rest.

the concept of “useless eaters” has surfaced with tragic effect in the west. https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=7019

you may dismiss the yale professor’s views as irrelevant and nutty because “we are better than that” but i outright cannot, especially after the public health events of the past 3 years.

I fully support the idea of physician-assisted suicide. My body, my life, my decision. If I get a diagnosis of Lou Gahrig's disease or Parkinsons' disease or rapidly progressing dementia you can bet before I'm trapped in my body or completely lost my mind I'm going out the way I want to because let's face it, no one gets out of this life alive, and it's just a matter of when and how.

To be clear, this is a decision I'd make for myself and not others and I'd certainly never want it imposed on anyone. Anyone can commit suicide anytime they choose and the method is usually gruesome. I'm advocating allowing people of sound mind to die with their dignity intact.

Take me out to the Everglades on an airboat and throw me into alligator infested waters is my choice so I don’t rot away for years trapped in my body.

🐊 🐊

Back