Xtended Guard name change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just on the Fram site and noticed a Fram "The Synthetic Oil Filter". It has 2X ply, just like the Xtended Guard. (The new Ultra has a different media which is 1X ply). Wondering if the Xtended guard has a new name.

http://ca.fram.com/enca/oil_filters

Note: the listing is domain specific (Canada). fram.com lists neither the Xtended guard or "the synthetic oil filter". maybe the Xtended guard was discontinued in the American market? Or a lazy web developer?

http://fram.com/enca/oil_filters

The Extended Guard has been replaced by the Ultra, a while ago, many posts about that. The Synthetic I believe was basically the Canadian version of the Extended Guard. Not sure if they were sold elsewhere but the only place I've seen them is at Canadian Tire.

I saw the many posts, but no info from Fram stating that was actually the case. Unless I missed it, the posts were speculation. I'm wondering if its actually a discontinuation in American market vs replacement. Was Removed from USA web page, new name in Canada. Unless it always had a different name in Canada, which makes no sense. Or just sloppy web updates.

Last edited:
FRAM doesn't manufacture the Xtended Guard anymore ... replaced with the Ultra a while ago. You might be able to find a few Xtended Guards still on the shelf or on-line. FRAM still uses the "XG" prefix on the Ultra, just like they did on the Xtended Guard.

Have seen both on the shelf. Used to be all Synthetic but over the last couple years seemed to be more and more Xtended, maybe for higher moving part numbers. It was like they got what ever XG was available at the time.

This is all related to Canadian Tire. Walmarts around here only have EG or TG and I have never searched out Fram from other sources.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Ok. So there was never an Xtended Guard in Canada?

At least in my experience, the Fram Synthetic, as it's called in Canada, had exactly the same part numbers as the XG in the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back