XOM Motorsport Oil Programs & Racing Oils

Interesting conversation with an XOM engineer on oil development. The oil being used in Red Bull F1 was a development of 10 years. One of the things he mentioned was how they (XMRE) work closely with XOM Chemical, who is always working on organic molecules. There was an instance too where they stumbled upon an ingredient that was used in the cosmetics industry.

I think the idea you can just slap together an oil and load it up with xyz is completely naive.

Mobil makes a line of racing oils that come in a 0w50 and 0w30 grade. I never understood why they made a 0w50 but after watching this I wouldn't second guess it knowing the testing and development that goes into these products.

Last edited:
Interesting conversation with an XOM engineer on oil development. The oil being used in Red Bull F1 was a development of 10 years. One of the things he mentioned was how they (XMRE) work closely with XOM Chemical, who is always working on organic molecules. There was an instance too where they stumbled upon an ingredient that was used in the cosmetics industry.

I think the idea you can just slap together an oil and load it up with xyz is completely naive.

When I used to do that work in the motorcycle industry, we worked constantly with our teams and I made lots of custom and experimental blends for individual riders and mechanics based off their feedback.

It was pretty fun trying to solve their issue du jour through the oils, greases, chain lubes, brake fluids, etc.

@buster Who thinks you can slap together an oil for F1, or for that fact, any racing application?
I've never heard anyone on this forum make a similar statement.
People that add Redline too boost Moly etc. It doesn't work that way. Or adding Red Line to gain more ester. Or looking at an oil and judging it based on a VOA.

Chemistry 101.

Last edited:
People that add Redline too boost Moly etc. It doesn't work that way. Or adding Red Line to gain more ester. Or looking at an oil and judging it based on a VOA.

Chemistry 101.
@buster so you're saying that F1 teams are doing this?!?
The whole premise of the link in the original post is around racing applications. So in that frame of reference I'm not aware of anyone who is claiming:
you can just slap together an oil and load it up with xyz
Can you give us some frame of reference as to who is claiming this or under which circumstances?

Chemistry 101.

Fun fact buster…

In human beings many are low in potassium and magnesium.

Here’s a interesting note…

People who get IV magnesium first … it makes the potassium IV much more effective because it binds better if magnesium is given first.

Very fascinating.

Back