XENON/HID replacement bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smells like a ripoff.

"gets on soapbox"

IMO, better to put that money towards better halogen bulbs and a relay harness. Honda headlight wiring is thinner than spaghetti.

"gets off soapbox"

I gave a pair of those a shot.. Do yourself a favor and just buy some sylvania halogens. The Ebay 'HID/Xenon" bulbs I got were not any better than the OEM bulbs.

I think I bought some german 6000 kelvin hid upgrade bulbs for my car on ebay. Well, I think it was ebay, I was looking there a lot. I had one of those gators flip up and hit my headlight going down the highway b/c some mom was driving her minivan on the road while on the phone and ran straight over that thing and it flipped it up right into my light and it smacked it with a ton of force, then scratched my hood and down the side of the car with the little metal stuff inside the tire tread.

Anyhow, my new bulbs are amazingly awesome. They are the right rated bulb for the hid's I was replacing, the only difference was stock was 4200 k and those were 6k k.

D2S/D2R aren't that expensive to make, since they don't have the igniter built in. They still aren't likely to last as long as a Philips lamp.

Do you already have a HID kit in your lights or are you planning to use these as a replacement for the stock halogen bulbs?

Last edited:
I don't know why I didn't fully read the eBay page until now.... Those HID lamps use amp connectors, rather than a D2S connector. They are not compatible with an OEM ballast without an adapter.

Please please don't go the hid "kit" route they use no named low quality knock off bulbs with very little quality control if any. Why do so many on here insist on pathetic Chinese knock off hid bulbs and kits. Philips, Osram-Sylvania, and GE are the Sole suppliers of OEM hid bulbs to manufacturers throughout the world. I've only heard of morimoto bulbs and ballasts being of decent quality and not being from an oem manufacturer. I belong to a hid web forum and many on there regret ever spending even a penny on the hid kits.

Most of you guys are totally not understanding what this guy was asking. If he is looking for D2S lamps, he already has a full HID setup. He is not looking to buy a "kit".

Sorry about the misunderstanding. If you want high quality bulbs order GE osram/sylvania, or philips bulbs. Those are all OEM quality bulbs. The oem philips are 85123 I think are the oem part number and are 4100k the + (plus) versions dont colorshift, and maintain consistent intensity over the bulb lifespan. Philips oem bulbs I'd go with these.

The car already has HID bulbs. Was looking for a good low cost replacement D2S bulb.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mez
The car already has HID bulbs. Was looking for a good low cost replacement D2S bulb.

It's hard to find anything good and and at the same time low cost (90% or more less than normal price). But since it cost only $10 a pair and if it is easy to change the bulbs, I say go for it. If it works on your Ridgeline then you save yourself a bundle, if it did not work or if it burnt after few days/weeks then you're out $10.

I ordered a pair of D2R bulbs made by phillips (IIRC) from some guy in Hong Kong on ebay for around $65. When they arrived, they were the real thing. I got them to match the factory bulbs in my wife's (sold) 2003 Acura 3.2TL. They were the identical bulbs to OEM, and I saved myself the $180 the dealer wanted for 1 bulb.

In my opinion, it's worth getting the OEM Phillips (or whatever) to keep the kelvin temp in the most efficient range. Plus, in my opinion, getting a different color temp usually looks silly.

Definitely,

The higher the kelvin temp the fewer lumens emitted, and have a lower cri. 4100k, 4300K are oem. Now the only other bulb is GE D4S that are 3600 lumens and are 4600k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back