Xenon Replacement Bulb Recommendation

I have a 2013 BMW 335 with adaptive xenon headlights. Last evening I noticed that one of them has turned pink and needs to be replaced. I'll replace the pair and am looking for a recommendation.

FCP Euro sells the BMW-branded OSRAM Xenarc 66140 for $195 each which seems ridiculously high.

My local auto parts stores sell a Sylvania DS1 (which is stamped OSRAM Xenarc on the bottom) for $100 each which also seems high.

I know there are a lot of cheap, poor-quality replacements out there and certainly want to avoid those. I also know that I have to be cautious about fake bulbs.

Amazon has a pair of OSRAM Xenarc 66144 for $87 (Link) which seems like it could be a good option. It's just not clear to me what the difference between 66144 and 66140 is. The listing says, "66144 Model comes w/ 11-digit serial# sticker ONLY | If you need 7-digit TRUST code, view our 66140 Model."

Amazon also has a pair of OSRAM Xenarc CBI 66140 for $110 (Link) which seems like another good option.

Any recommendations or advice? I'm not looking to do anything special. I just want a quality pair of "standard" replacements that'll last and don't cost more than I need to pay.

If you hunt around Amazon enough, you can find name-brand Xenon bulbs (D2S ?) for around $50-60 each or pairs for under $120. I probably have some in a wishlist on Amazon. I actually gave some of the low-cost ones a shot (less than $40 for the pair, maybe cheaper), and they're still working going on 2 years. If they fail soon, I will replace them with good bulbs. The OEM ones lasted 11 years !!

These are the ones I bought: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DQ3KWH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$15.99 for the pair !

There are so many counterfeit HID capsules out there that the manufacturers (Philips does it) use a hologram sticker with a code. You can scan the code and verify on the manufacturer's web site that the capsules are genuine. I fell for a pair of counterfeit capsules for a Lexus on eBay. The boxes they came in, including the packaging and construction, looked very real. They were too cheap, though. They worked OK when installed, but one of them went out within a month. The seller refunded my money without asking for the bulbs back. I bought a pair of genuine Philips on Amazon from a reseller that was on Philips' authorized seller list. They were $55 each, which was still a very good deal. They've been on the car for 2-3 years now with no issues.

I would not buy from Amazon because you have no guarantee that you're not getting "third shift" quality parts.

In this case it might be part no 66144

I would not buy from Amazon because you have no guarantee that you're not getting "third shift" quality parts.

In this case it might be part no 66144
Yeah the main problem with Amazon is that they'd take all the inventory from various vendors and drop them all into one bin. So you'd get fakes mixed in with the real thing. So you could buy from Amazon and get a fake or a fake vendor and get a real part that Amazon bought. Not sure if they've fully fixed this yet. They were cracking down on fakes. That's why I'd order from Rockauto or some vendor that can really control their supply channel.

Yeah the main problem with Amazon is that they'd take all the inventory from various vendors and drop them all into one bin. So you'd get fakes mixed in with the real thing. So you could buy from Amazon and get a fake or a fake vendor and get a real part that Amazon bought. Not sure if they've fully fixed this yet. They were cracking down on fakes. That's why I'd order from Rockauto or some vendor that can really control their supply channel.
Ya. Not only fakes but companies overseas will routinely sub-contract out work to other factories who have less quality control. This is one way the customer facing company can manufacture a part at a particular cost. Or they'll run a "third shift" where the product is not up to spec but sold out the back door for cheap. Kinda like buying "seconds".

I’ve always gotten authentic bulbs from TRS. For $30 more, and assuming you’ll be keeping the car for awhile, I’d pick up the Nightbreaker Lasers.

For $30 more, and assuming you’ll be keeping the car for awhile, I’d pick up the Nightbreaker Lasers.
OSRAM Night Breaker Lasers, eh? Here's an interesting comparison for what it's worth:

Comparison.jpg

They'd cost $50 more than the Original and $30 more than the Cool Blue Intense which is what I was leaning towards.

I'd definitely skip Amazon as there are way too many knockoffs. GE also makes a higher output 4600k 3600 lumen bulb that is used in Cadillac's and other GM vehicles. Make sure that you replace like bulbs with base. There is now D1s,D2S, and I think recently D3S, and D4S which I don't think are compatible.

OSRAM Night Breaker Lasers, eh? Here's an interesting comparison for what it's worth:

View attachment 63773

They'd cost $50 more than the Original and $30 more than the Cool Blue Intense which is what I was leaning towards.
I have not used the Nightbreaker lasers personally, but my friend has a pair in his Durango and I like them much better than the CBI’s I had. I swapped out my CBI’s for some Philips Xtreme Visions as the Nightbreaker lasers weren’t available at the time and I really liked the warmer color temperature.

www.powerbulbs.com is a reputable source for Osram and Philips bulbs.

That being said, I haven't had any issues with www.ddmtuning.com Ultra HID bulbs, in the D3S bulb (5500K... because I like "that look")..

Even though I like Morimoto products their XB35 D3S 5500K killed a ballast on my old car in less than a year.

Back