XD3 0W-30 in a 4.7 Dodge Dakota. 1 year OCI OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running 0W-30 XD3 in my 4.7L Dodge Dakota. I am leaning towards a 1 year OCI since I don't mile this thing very hard (15 000km/year).

Details.

Summer: up to 30 degrees C.
Commuter: 10km one way of city traffic. 100kms/week.
45min/ 1hour highway trip to go dirtbiking once per week.

Winter: down to -35 C but geberally -5ish. Use is the same as summer with less highway use.

I am a little concerned that the truck is not getting fully hot during my commute and that I am facing fuel dilution/condensation issues. Think I will be OK going a full year on the XD3?

ktm,
you are in northern Alberta/Sk like me, sounds like similar temps?
more so, what oil filter would you use in this application, I would at least do a filter swap 1/2 way thru, with a little 0.3 litre top up. To other senior BM's - would this be enough?

Without a UOA done afterwards, there's no telling if the oil is spent or dilution exists. Personally, if you are not planning on UOAs, I would do approximate 11000km/7K OCIs.

Quote:

ktm,
you are in northern Alberta/Sk like me, sounds like similar temps?
more so, what oil filter would you use in this application, I would at least do a filter swap 1/2 way thru, with a little 0.3 litre top up. To other senior BM's - would this be enough?

Central AB. Pernhaps I will do an analysis in the spring to see how the oil held up through the winter. If it looks OK I will run it till the fall.

Who does oil analysis in Alberta?

Used to use this oil as an annual fill in my old 318 Dakota. Never saw a heck of a lot of use. My buddy bought it and he's doing the same. FYI.

John.

This is what you should do first. Do a six month OCI first and see how the vechile is doing. If it is ok add 3 months on to that and do a UOA to evaluate. COntinue untill you either reach the engine,OCI failure point or your preffered OCI!

I doubt that you will make it 15,000 miles in your operateing environment on this oil and maybe any oil!

I will take an oil sample in the spring and do a UOA. BTW my mileage is 16 000 kms/year or around 10 000miles/year. We were pretty mild this winter but I am beginning to think that the 0w-30 XD3 may be a tad thick in winter for the 4.7..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back