Xbox 360 JUST for Netflix and Radio ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one here use an Xbox 360 ONLY to do streaming Rradio (Last.fm) and Netflix streaming ? (My Blu Ray player does amazon streaming and Utube but not netflix)

I saw a friend do this and it's rather...um...tempting. Is it worth it even if one is NOT a gamer at all, and certainly not an online gamer???

oh btw, my internet speed is 3 mbps, and from the little research I did, it seems to be sufficient, as MS's min req's are like 2.2 mbps...(we may get a speed upgrade some time soon anyway...)

Netflix just sent us a disk for streaming on the Wii. Going to try it out today and I'll let you know if/how it works.

I'm sure if the Wii does it well, the Xbox will do the same.

Our Wii is wi-fi'd to my 15+mbps fiber line so hopefully that will not be part of a possible problem.

Bill

I use a Wii and stream from netflix. If you use Xbox it will cost more because an Xbox Live account is necessary which costs $50 per year. If you only want to stream from Netflix they have a device for that which costs around $75.

I use my PS3 for Netflix streaming and the Wife has the Wii with streaming. Both work great. Xbox you need the 49 dollar a year Xbox live account. I had a 360 Elite, but after two RROD (red ring of death), I sold it and will keep the PS3. Online is free, but not as good as Live.

Dave

I bought an Xbox 360 Elite last holiday season and use it:

1) To play DVDs. It's replaced the DVD player I had.

2) To stream Netflix. I have cable modem broadband and generally get 5 - 6 Mbps. At those speeds, it works great, including HD content. At 3 Mbps, you may not get the highest quality that Netflix is capable of.

3) To stream music via Last.fm. I really wish streaming my XM subscription(s) was an option, but Last.fm is a reasonable (and free) alternative and works great when entertaining.

4) As a Windows Media Center extender. I have Windows 7 Professional which contains the Media Center "application". Using my PC's dual-tuner TV tuner card, I use my PC as a DVR and then stream recordings through the Xbox which is connected to my 46" LCD. It works awesome!!! I've also ripped many of our kids' DVDs to computer and stream them rather than popping DVDs in and out every time they change their mind.

5) Play Forza Motorsports 2 and a few arcade-style games. I'm not much of a gamer, but it can be a nice break at night after a day of work and getting the kids fed, bathed, and to bed.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I bought an Xbox 360 Elite last holiday season and use it:

1) To play DVDs. It's replaced the DVD player I had.

2) To stream Netflix. I have cable modem broadband and generally get 5 - 6 Mbps. At those speeds, it works great, including HD content. At 3 Mbps, you may not get the highest quality that Netflix is capable of.

3) To stream music via Last.fm. I really wish streaming my XM subscription(s) was an option, but Last.fm is a reasonable (and free) alternative and works great when entertaining.

4) As a Windows Media Center extender. I have Windows 7 Professional which contains the Media Center "application". Using my PC's dual-tuner TV tuner card, I use my PC as a DVR and then stream recordings through the Xbox which is connected to my 46" LCD. It works awesome!!! I've also ripped many of our kids' DVDs to computer and stream them rather than popping DVDs in and out every time they change their mind.

5) Play Forza Motorsports 2 and a few arcade-style games. I'm not much of a gamer, but it can be a nice break at night after a day of work and getting the kids fed, bathed, and to bed.

Do you have to pay for the X-Box live to play the NetFlix DVD's as other have suggested?

Originally Posted By: 5150ds
Do you have to pay for the X-Box live to play the NetFlix DVD's as other have suggested?

Yes, you do. But it's cheap. A new Xbox 360 comes with a one-month subscription. And every once in a while, the "dashboard" on the console shows offers for 1-month for 1-dollar. I've taken advantage of that twice. Also, you can get 12-month subscriptions for $40 or less on Newegg.com, eBay, etc. I'm pretty frugal and have accepted the $3.33/month as being well worth it. While Netflix' movie selection is still pretty limited, they have a huge selection of kids shows which is great when you have a 4-year old and a 2-year old.

Okay,

Put in the Netflix DVD in the Wii and it works great! Just got done watching a few items (one movie, a concert and Vegas show)

Looks good on the 47" LCD and not a single error.

I like it, the only thing I'd be concerned is my 100gig max rate per month. I may hit it doing a lot of streaming. The wife and kids like it (they are watching a TV show right now)

Any one know how much data per hour?

Thanks, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I am almost positive that for standard def it is ~850MB/ hour and high def is ~1.8GB/ hour. That'd vary (marginally) from stream to stream as the different shows and movies will encode a little differently.

We started using our Wii for Netflix last week. For a 480p resolution, the quality is pretty good.

Have been catching up on the Meerkat Manor episodes for the past few days. Now that we have the streaming, we don't use DVD-s any more so it's time to downgrade our service to the $10 a month Netflix plan.

I like it, the only thing I'd be concerned is my 100gig max rate per month. I may hit it doing a lot of streaming.

Which plan has a 100 gig/month limit?

It is tempting, no doubt.

Our Wii, with using the Homebrew add-on, we can stream any Internet feed found in Shoutcast.com using the free WiiRadio app. Neat stuff.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

I am almost positive that for standard def it is ~850MB/ hour and high def is ~1.8GB/ hour. That'd vary (marginally) from stream to stream as the different shows and movies will encode a little differently.

shocked2.gif
Hmmm looks like we will have to "watch" (pun intended
48.gif
) what we stream.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

I like it, the only thing I'd be concerned is my 100gig max rate per month. I may hit it doing a lot of streaming.

Which plan has a 100 gig/month limit?

Mine.
frown.gif
I'm on fiber and the max is 100 gig a month and if you go over, they will charge you $10 per 3 gig? (Never got anywhere near it)

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back