WWYD Toyota Battery Replacement

I would take it back to the dealer just in case it lead to other issues like alternator problems or damage from leaking battery acid. This would create a record of the problem and make Toyota responsible.

Keeping your car's battery clean and servicing the terminals once a year goes a long way in my book.
I just serviced the terminals on a 98 Accord LX that had a newer Costco Interstate. The car now cranks stronger and instantly.
I look at them every couple weeks, but it seemed to get worse
Many years ago we had a Toyota Matrix that was new, by 6k miles and 3 months after purchase the battery started forming corrosion around the positive post. I took it to the dealer and was told that is was a maintenance issue. Complete and utter B.S.
yeah. Came up with excuses for sure. Then he said he had 3 experts look at it and said wasn’t corrosion. Apparently Toyota doesn’t offer a Vision plan lol.

Have a 2 Yr old Sienna with the OEM Battery leaking. Still under warranty. I could maybe get a new Tru start from the dealer free or get an East Penn on my dime. WWYD? Will I be in the same boat again with the Toyota replacement battery? Is the dealer replacement different or better than the OEM?The battery tests good from my cheap non load tester at around 95% capacity. Have used Noco chargers here and there to keep it charged when needed.
My wife’s 2014 RAV4 was built in Japan and still has the OEM Panasonic battery in it working with daily use in Minnesota. I am hoping I will get 10 years out of this great battery. USA built automotive battery’s suck. Not robust at all.

My 2007 Toyota Tundra battery lasted until 2019, when it finally failed a load test. 12 years is pretty amazing. In my rush to fix this, I ran to Costco and got an Interstate, which is running fine. But in retrospect I should have shopped a battery from the dealership. Since Tundras are built in Texas, I would assume the batteries are from a domestic supplier.

My 2007 Toyota Tundra battery lasted until 2019, when it finally failed a load test. 12 years is pretty amazing. In my rush to fix this, I ran to Costco and got an Interstate, which is running fine. But in retrospect I should have shopped a battery from the dealership. Since Tundras are built in Texas, I would assume the batteries are from a domestic supplier.
I think they are from Clarios now formerly Johnson controls. Not sure where they are made.

Last edited:
Call the dealer and report back.
Received a survey about my service experience and was polite, but honest. One of the service managers reached out and wanted to look at it again. I asked if he would replace the battery and he said he would. Battery replaced. Glad they finally stepped up to do it. They quoted $230 for another customer for a 24F (my size). They did recommend a brake fluid flush for the advanced braking system and a fuel injection service as I have around 28,000 miles. I did decline those services.

Received a survey about my service experience and was polite, but honest. One of the service managers reached out and wanted to look at it again. I asked if he would replace the battery and he said he would. Battery replaced. Glad they finally stepped up to do it. They quoted $230 for another customer for a 24F (my size). They did recommend a brake fluid flush for the advanced braking system and a fuel injection service as I have around 28,000 miles. I did decline those services.
Fuel injector service is a commonly recommended service, whether needed or not, as it has a decent margin for the dealership. I wouldn't bother until you are at 100k. Brake fluid, on the other hand, is hydroscopic, and the general recommendation is time based, of every two to three years, depending on the manufacturer.

Fuel injector service is a commonly recommended service, whether needed or not, as it has a decent margin for the dealership. I wouldn't bother until you are at 100k. Brake fluid, on the other hand, is hydroscopic, and the general recommendation is time based, of every two to three years, depending on the manufacturer.
I passed on the injector cleaning as I normally run top tier fuel and the low mileage. It is direct and port injected. I will look at having the brake fluid down the line.

I passed on the injector cleaning as I normally run top tier fuel and the low mileage. It is direct and port injected. I will look at having the brake fluid down the line.
Just follow the service manual intervals and you will be fine. If you skip it for too long, the brake fluid can get a lot of moisture in it, and can corrode brake caliper cylinders and master cylinder. It also greatly lowers the boiling point of the fluid, so the brakes can be less effective if they get really hot.

Update. The New Replacement battery is starting to corrosion again on the post and a little out of where the caps would be. This is around 8 months and 7 thousand miles worth of use.

Update. The New Replacement battery is starting to corrosion again on the post and a little out of where the caps would be. This is around 8 months and 7 thousand miles worth of use.
The factory Toyota battery in my 2007 Tundra also had a lot of corrosion on both the posts and the metal hold down strap. I would clean it up and a few months later it came back. Eventually I attacked it with a thorough clean up and new felt battery anti corrosion washers and it STILL came back. The solution was to clean it up again, then use that purple anti corrosion spray grease or what ever it was. That kept it from coming back for years. I now have an Interstate battery on the truck for the past two or three years, and surprisingly, no signs of corrosion, and I am not using any of the spray painted grease or anything special.

Maybe Toyota batteries simply off gas a lot??

The factory Toyota battery in my 2007 Tundra also had a lot of corrosion on both the posts and the metal hold down strap. I would clean it up and a few months later it came back. Eventually I attacked it with a thorough clean up and new felt battery anti corrosion washers and it STILL came back. The solution was to clean it up again, then use that purple anti corrosion spray grease or what ever it was. That kept it from coming back for years. I now have an Interstate battery on the truck for the past two or three years, and surprisingly, no signs of corrosion, and I am not using any of the spray painted grease or anything special.

Maybe Toyota batteries simply off gas a lot??
The factory Toyota batteries are different than the ones sold as replacements from the dealer.

Back