WWYD Toyota Battery Replacement

I suppose each dealership is different but years ago when I worked for Lexus, we warrantied a lot of batteries, no matter the age of the car. Now it’s been a minute since I last worked in a parts department, but there should be a free replacement period of some sort. Maybe it’s not 2 years, it could be less. If the replacement battery has a problem two years from now, I would certainly start there. I would tell anyone, though, the more better your service history, the more willing a dealership will be to work with you on warranty issues.

Why are you even debating this? I mean, if the engine blew under warranty, would you fix yourself on your dime, or have it done for free at the dealer?
The reason is a free battery might cost more if it’s another leaker and destroy other components from corrosion. Engine is a whole other costlier matter

And the battery you buy elsewhere couldn't leak as well? Toyota didn't make the battery. Sounds like an isolated incident. Maybe someone over tightened the hold-down.
That’s is a good point. Another brand could do the same thing.

Does it work like that? I would think the new battery keeps the original warranty of 3 years. Or is it as if you bought it yourself and you get 2 years free replacement and 84 months pro-rated?
I think it’s 3 yrs 36000 miles total on the vehicle. Like if they replace under that warranty and it fails a day after they have no obligation to assist. My curiosity is will they consider a battery that tests good a problem if it’s leaking acid. Hoping it’s not a wiggle clause for the dealer.

Around the holddown? Was it over tightened or is the clamp malformed somehow? I’d look at that first, otherwise it might be a repeat performance. Alternatively, might it be coming out of vents, due to overcharging? [I doubt it’s that, but might as well ask.]
Correction. Once I was able to look at it under brighter conditions, it is under the positive terminal but corrosion is present under the tie down

Correction. Once I was able to look at it under brighter conditions, it is under the positive terminal but corrosion is present under the tie down
Sounds like it might have been over tightened and it torqued the post. Complain but I have to wonder if they will just clean it and send you on your way.

That’s is a good point. Another brand could do the same thing.
The next East Penn I have leak will be the FIRST ONE! I’ve had JC/Clarios ones that leaked at the post while NEVER HAVING HAD A CLAMP INSTALLED (dual terminal 78 GM size). And the xB AAP one that leaked all over the front underside and stained the driveway. And the Toyota TrueStart I just replaced that leaked out of the positive post all over. No thanks! The continuing ability of that manufacturer to build junk, and their retailers to not warrant ones under warranty for leaking, amazes me.

The next East Penn I have leak will be the FIRST ONE! I’ve had JC/Clarios ones that leaked at the post while NEVER HAVING HAD A CLAMP INSTALLED (dual terminal 78 GM size). And the xB AAP one that leaked all over the front underside and stained the driveway. And the Toyota TrueStart I just replaced that leaked out of the positive post all over. No thanks! The continuing ability of that manufacturer to build junk, and their retailers to not warrant ones under warranty for leaking, amazes me.
I had one that had a little fuzz on a different vehicle which was a Duracell. Never had a Superstart or Napa Legend leak on me though.

Last edited:
I’d see if I could get an OEM replacement on warranty….

If not, then I’d replace it with an east penn, and try to figure out the how and why it leaks so I dont ruin another…

Keeping your car's battery clean and servicing the terminals once a year goes a long way in my book.
I just serviced the terminals on a 98 Accord LX that had a newer Costco Interstate. The car now cranks stronger and instantly.

Like said, if under warranty let the dealer replace it. In my experience with batteries, the factory replacement is MUCH better than the one originally installed.

Update. Spoke with the dealership and was told that there wasn’t any corrosion. I asked to speak with the service Manager. He came out with me and I pointed it out. He said That it was just dirt. I mentioned that dirt can be wiped off and isn’t green below where the positive cable attaches. And that dirt wasn’t around the caps. He told me that it tested good and that they can’t warranty it. Continued

Continued. I asked then what is the green stuff. He said lack of maintenance. I mentioned to him that the vehicle was in to Toyota dealers every 5000 or 6 months for inspections , oil changes etc. I thought it would be good to have it on record that the vehicle had regular service history. I didn’t want to wipe it off to show them the battery condition. Guess this is another shame on the dealer thread. I’m not real surprised though. Doesn’t ruin my finances buying a battery, but the dealer should step up.

I asked then what is the green stuff. He said lack of maintenance. I mentioned to him that the vehicle was in to Toyota dealers every 5000 or 6 months for inspections , oil changes etc. I thought it would be good to have it on record that the vehicle had regular service history. I didn’t want to wipe it off to show them the battery condition.
Many years ago we had a Toyota Matrix that was new, by 6k miles and 3 months after purchase the battery started forming corrosion around the positive post. I took it to the dealer and was told that is was a maintenance issue. Complete and utter B.S.

Back