Wurth 3/8 stubby.

I don't use a normal 3/8 ratchet, I use my SK flexhead sparkplug ratchet - it's long for breaking tight bolts and gives good feel for tightening, flip it up and it will spin faster than an air ratchet. A standard ratchet just ends up at home.

So the Wurth rep comes in a couple of months ago with this thing, and there are a couple of instant No Way ! things about it. It's gearless...I once said a gearless anything would never find itself in my toolbox again. But it's a stubby, it's not going to be able to take the force to make it slip. And it's push through to change direction - oh, how cheap is that ! That's the sort of thing you find in a child's play tool kit. But it actually works really well, it doesn't push right through and onto the floor, and easy one handed. Just one thing to remember - don't back out to no clearance, you can't flip the lever to go back in so you can remove the tool.

I've been using it for awhile now, and really like this thing, very useful where bolts are too tight to spin by fingers, and where you don't want to put a power tool on them. Like every thing from Wurth, classy quality.

IMG_20200814_105843.jpg
IMG_20200814_105849.jpg

Nice tool. Like the quick release button and short length. The smaller/lighter the tools that get the job done, the better IMO.

Looks handy. The length for sure. I have mixed feelings about gearless although I have a Kobalt model so I may be all wet.

Friction wise, it seems to be somewhere around a smooth high tooth SK ratchet. That said, when it really matters it could just unthread the bolt as fast as you tighten it.

I’d also be worried about it breaking during high torque situations. Shouldn’t be an issue on a stubby though.

The blast finish is beautiful. Looks like a medical instrument.

Back