Ws80 vs wintercommand ultra

I found blizzak ws80s and goodyear wintercommand ultra both on sale for essentially the same price. I was wondering what is the better tire and which will last longer? I know the ws80 has some compound issues or whatever but if I can get them for the same price which do you think is a better winter tire?
and if they are too similar in performance then which will last me longer?

Thanks

Take this with a grain of salt, but I had a set of 4 WS80s on my Cruze many years ago and after 1 winter (maybe 3k miles) the front 2 were down to the Blizzak treadware bares. Once you hit that point, the special Blizzak compound is gone. They were great tires on ice, but they were awful in slush. They also start to feel scary if you have any winter days with temperatures above 50 degrees.

Since the winter of 2014, we've had a set(4) of General AltiMAX Arctic and they're still running strong(about 4-5K miles per winter/Thanksgiving to Spring) with about 6-8/32nds remaining. These tires worked brilliantly in the PA winters especially when stopping while going down hill on icy roads and stopped traffic is in front of you(red light scenario).

Also, these Arctic can make their own parking spots during storms and plow trucks are behind and not all parking lots(at work, grocery, malls) have been attended to YET.
Now General has the AltiMAX Arctic12 and IDK what has changed with them. But if they're as good as the originals, this is the route that I'd take.

Last edited:
Back