Wrong oil put in Jeep ecodiesel

Hi I am new to this forum, so i hope that this post goes to the right place. I have a question maybe someone here can answer. Last year i bought a new Jeep wrangler with the the 3.0 liter turbo eco diesel engine. This engine according to the manufacture requires a specific oil, as it seems most vehicles do nowadays. Anyway the oil that it requires is 5-40 Euro spec. synthetic, I know that Pensoil makes one that meets these requirements and also Castrol makes one as well, and there maybe others, also whatever brand the Jeep dealerships have on hand that they buy in bulk. So long story short i took my Jeep diesel in to my local dealership for its first service last May at 5000 mi a little early since the recomended change is 10,000 mi and it also holds 9 quarts of oil pretty good for a 3 liter v 6 engine. So the service is basically just oil change, tire rotation and some general inspections. Of course you trust that the dealership knows what they're doing right?.. Well maybe not, a few weeks ago i was going through my service records ( its had two oil changes since that one last May ) anyway i noticed the invoice for that first oil change read that they had changed the oil with 5-40 Rotella, i did not ever remember seeing Shell Rotella being on any of the approved lists of oils for this engine. Needless to say i was very upset and called Shell oil to get more info, the oil tech guy that i spoke with told me that their Shell Rotell 5-40 was NOT approved for the new gen ecodiesel engines and that it should be drained out immediately. So my question is for anyone who might know is: could my engine have been damaged by this mistake, possibly causing premature wear or other damage, if so what should i do about it, if anything?..or am i being a worry wart? Thanks

It could be okay. Which Rotella? There's T6, T5, etc.

Iirc there was a service bulletin to use CK4 5w40.. That would be T6 5w40.

Shell representative is less likely to be aware of this.

Last edited:
I think I would definitely bring it up to the dealer just to document your complaint. What oil has been used in the other oil changes? If the incorrect oil was used just once you probably are OK. If the dealer has been doing all of the changes with the incorrect oil you should lodge a complaint with Jeep and the dealer. Absolutely find a service center who will install the correct oil and keep the documentation.

Rotella T6 is not recomended for your engine because it can cause Turbo coking in your particular EcoDiesel model. It works great in heavy duty Diesel engines though. Call FCA/Stelantis and ask, and they will confirm what I said here.

Rotella T6 has not caused any damage or wear to your engine. It takes a while for turbo coking to happen. Just change your oil and you'll be fine.

Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 is hard to find in places. Lucky for you, Shell sells the same oil in a Quaker State container called Quaker State Euro 5W-40.

This is the correct oil for your engine:
1672116274512.png

1672116316663.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I am new to this forum, so i hope that this post goes to the right place. I have a question maybe someone here can answer. Last year i bought a new Jeep wrangler with the the 3.0 liter turbo eco diesel engine. This engine according to the manufacture requires a specific oil, as it seems most vehicles do nowadays. Anyway the oil that it requires is 5-40 Euro spec. synthetic, I know that Pensoil makes one that meets these requirements and also Castrol makes one as well, and there maybe others, also whatever brand the Jeep dealerships have on hand that they buy in bulk. So long story short i took my Jeep diesel in to my local dealership for its first service last May at 5000 mi a little early since the recomended change is 10,000 mi and it also holds 9 quarts of oil pretty good for a 3 liter v 6 engine. So the service is basically just oil change, tire rotation and some general inspections. Of course you trust that the dealership knows what they're doing right?.. Well maybe not, a few weeks ago i was going through my service records ( its had two oil changes since that one last May ) anyway i noticed the invoice for that first oil change read that they had changed the oil with 5-40 Rotella, i did not ever remember seeing Shell Rotella being on any of the approved lists of oils for this engine. Needless to say i was very upset and called Shell oil to get more info, the oil tech guy that i spoke with told me that their Shell Rotell 5-40 was NOT approved for the new gen ecodiesel engines and that it should be drained out immediately. So my question is for anyone who might know is: could my engine have been damaged by this mistake, possibly causing premature wear or other damage, if so what should i do about it, if anything?..or am i being a worry wart? Thanks
When you call an oil company, the company will NEVER give you different advice from manufacturer recommendations. T6 has a minimum HTHS of 3.5, and it is highly regarded among racing and tracking Subaru, old VW/Audi community. Your V6 diesel will never experience those conditions.
Run it until you hit 5000 miles, and switch to PPE 5W40.

When in doubt, change it out. There's some doubt created here, with conflicting opinions. Oh and don't think for a minute any of the major oil companies are going to tell you to deviate from what is written in your owners manual. So once again, when it doubt change it out.

Agree with documenting the incident with your local dealer, should any warranty concern ever pop up. That 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty is worth retaining.

That said, I don't think the Rotella hurt anything and you're likely to be fine. Just run the correct spec oil from now on; that QS Euro stuff is pretty good, cheap, and easy to find.

Rotella T6 is not recomended for your engine because it can cause Turbo coking in your particular EcoDiesel model.
T6 is very unlikely to cause turbocharger coking. It's a high thermal stability oil and unlikely to oxidize on turbocharger components. The lower end Rotella oils are a different story. I believe this rumor started on the vehicle specific forums. We use T6 in various high stress turbocharged applications without any coking or oxidation problems.

The relatively high ZDDP content is likely why it's not recommended. Pretty much a non issue for a new healthy engine that does not consume oil. As no oil consumption means no catalyst poisoning. In reality, T6 is probably an excellent choice for overall engine and turbocharger life. Remember, the anti wear additive ZDDP is being reduced in an attempt at extending emission control component life.

I'd argue that a healthy engine is the best way to extend emission component lifespan.

Last edited:
T6 is very unlikely to cause turbocharger coking. It's a high thermal stability oil and unlikely to oxidize on turbocharger components. The lower end Rotella oils are a different story. I believe this rumor started on the vehicle specific forums. We use T6 in various high stress turbocharged applications without any coking or oxidation problems.

The relatively high ZDDP content is likely why it's not recommended. Pretty much a non issue for a new healthy engine that does not consume oil. As no oil consumption means no catalyst poisoning. In reality, T6 is probably an excellent choice for overall engine and turbocharger life. Remember, the anti wear additive ZDDP is being reduced in an attempt at extending emission control component life.

I'd argue that a healthy engine is the best way to extend emission component lifespan.
I just posted the official reason. We've been using Rotella for a very long time, T4, T5, and T6. All very good oils.

The PP Euro / QS Euro 5W-40 (identical oil sold under 2 brands) is in fact higher SAPS than T6. It's actually Shell Helix Ultra SP 5W-40 sold under the PP/QS brands in the US market. It's a pure GTL + additive package oil. I saw the FTIR analysis on it. Is it better than Rotella T6? Most unlikely.

Applying some logic, I believe the real reason is CAFE. Originally the EcoDiesel factory fill wash Shell ECT C3 5W-30/Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30. Some blown engines later, they switched to Rotella T6 5W-40. Now they have an inbetween oil, the 5W-40, so they recommend that.

No worries, I've seen FCA go stupider than this. In the Cummins engines they recommend, get this: 5W-40 in Winter and 10W-30 in summer.

Turbo coking was the "official" reason FCA gave for the switch. These folks can't make up their minds to the point where they disorient owners. I just wanted to let the OP know this information.

Way back when TDI PDs were new, VW said the oil had to meet their 505.01 standard to properly lubricate the engine. That standard allowed for a low quality Castrol synthetic blend, but not Mobil 1 TDT or Shell T6. Finally, someone on the TDI Page said, "Screw it, I am using Mobil 1 TDT and I will let you know what happens." The end result is just about everyone uses either TDT or T6 in their PD TDIs. I have been using TDT for about 217,000 miles now. Before that, I used a European 505.01 because I knew the Castrol was low grade oil.

I am also careful to cool down my turbo before shutting it off after hard running. That is the main lesson, no matter what oil you are using, always cool you turbo after a long, hard run. Never just shut your engine off at the top of the hill without letting it idle for about 5 minutes. You want your exhaust gasses to be down to 300 degrees.

Way back when TDI PDs were new, VW said the oil had to meet their 505.01 standard to properly lubricate the engine. That standard allowed for a low quality Castrol synthetic blend, but not Mobil 1 TDT or Shell T6. Finally, someone on the TDI Page said, "Screw it, I am using Mobil 1 TDT and I will let you know what happens." The end result is just about everyone uses either TDT or T6 in their PD TDIs. I have been using TDT for about 217,000 miles now. Before that, I used a European 505.01 because I knew the Castrol was low grade oil.

I am also careful to cool down my turbo before shutting it off after hard running. That is the main lesson, no matter what oil you are using, always cool you turbo after a long, hard run. Never just shut your engine off at the top of the hill without letting it idle for about 5 minutes. You want your exhaust gasses to be down to 300 degrees.
The 505.01 standard was to so-called "protect" the camshaft the drives the Pumpe-Duse injectors from excessive wear.

Rotella T6 is not recomended for your engine because it can cause Turbo coking in your particular EcoDiesel model. It works great in heavy duty Diesel engines though. Call FCA/Stelantis and ask, and they will confirm what I said here.

Rotella T6 has not caused any damage or wear to your engine. It takes a while for turbo coking to happen. Just change your oil and you'll be fine.

Pennzoil Euro 5W-40 is hard to find in places. Lucky for you, Shell sells the same oil in a Quaker State container called Quaker State Euro 5W-40.

This is the correct oil for your engine:
View attachment 132583

View attachment 132584

Those standards would have meant, it would have been a API CF grade at best.

Back in the TDI days... the old ALH motor required a 505.00 or API CF-4/CG-4 oil. Most of us went with a CH-4 oil, from Delvac 1 to RT6 or M1 Truck & SUV (or TDT)

I just posted the official reason. We've been using Rotella for a very long time, T4, T5, and T6. All very good oils.

The PP Euro / QS Euro 5W-40 (identical oil sold under 2 brands) is in fact higher SAPS than T6. It's actually Shell Helix Ultra SP 5W-40 sold under the PP/QS brands in the US market. It's a pure GTL + additive package oil. I saw the FTIR analysis on it. Is it better than Rotella T6? Most unlikely.

Applying some logic, I believe the real reason is CAFE. Originally the EcoDiesel factory fill wash Shell ECT C3 5W-30/Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30. Some blown engines later, they switched to Rotella T6 5W-40. Now they have an inbetween oil, the 5W-40, so they recommend that.

No worries, I've seen FCA go stupider than this. In the Cummins engines they recommend, get this: 5W-40 in Winter and 10W-30 in summer.

Turbo coking was the "official" reason FCA gave for the switch. These folks can't make up their minds to the point where they disorient owners. I just wanted to let the OP know this information.
It is not identical oil.
QS 5W40 is what PPE 5W40 was under SN+.
PPE 5W40 is newer formulation that was from beginning SP.

As for blown engines, it is not C3 issue. It is engine issue. BMW quad turbo diesel runs on C3 without problems.
PPE A3 is just band aid.

It is not identical oil.
QS 5W40 is what PPE 5W40 was under SN+.
PPE 5W40 is newer formulation that was from beginning SP.
Both of these oils are Shell Helix Ultra SP 5W-40 bottled and sold under two different brands that Shell owns. It's a full GTL base stock oil with a MB 229.5 / Porshe A40 / VW502 additive package that uses Ca and Mg for LSPI protection. It uses Group 1 oil as the additive package carrier. It can't clean, not even after itself, and has poor solvency.

Both of these oils are Shell Helix Ultra SP 5W-40 bottled and sold under two different brands that Shell owns. It's a full GTL base stock oil with a MB 229.5 / Porshe A40 / VW502 additive package that uses Ca and Mg for LSPI protection. It uses Group 1 oil as the additive package carrier. It can't clean, not even after itself, and has poor solvency.
Again, they are not.
I know who sells what.
QS is what PPE was under SN+.
Find pds and check pour point of PPE SN+ and QS 5W40 SP.

Now, granted, SOPUS always has some issue with pds or msds. But as it stands, SOPUS is either using old batches batches under QS brand or they blend QS slightly differently. My money would be on old batches.

Last edited:
Again, they are not.
I know who sells what.
QS is what PPE was under SN+.
Find pds and check pour point of PPE SN+ and QS 5W40 SP.

Now, granted, SOPUS always has some issue with pds or msds. But as it stands, SOPUS is either using old batches batches under QS brand or they blend QS slightly differently. My money would be on old batches.
I had both QS Euro 5W-40 API SP and SN+. Interestingly they sold the SN+ after the SP through Walmart. They shipped SN+ to me a couple of times instead of SP and I just took it back to the local store. It's stupid. This was a while back so by now they should be done with old batches and they should ship SP again.

Back