Wrong oil killing mpg on my TSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting horrible mileage even for winter standards here. The only thing different is my dealer insisting on using 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil, instead of 5w-30 based on the Acura oil chart they have at the service dept. But the thing is for 2004 only 5w-30 is specified, not sure why same model same engine TSX would show 0w-20 and 5w-20. The car feels real sluggish too like performance is suffering. Bottom line, with temps here at well below 0 some nights, should I switch back to 5w-30?

Last edited:
uh no. thinner oil wouldnt have any negative impact on mpg

Last edited:
Dealers right. Thicker oil would make the car more sluggish. Been a cold winter,maybe you are warming it up more,which reduces mpg.

Oddly enough last year I had the same experience going just from 5w20 to 0w20 in a 2003 Civic Si. It has the 2.0 engine, not your engine. The drop was not drastically different, but a good 10% loss from 29.5 to 26.5. Performance felt really sluggish, too. This was Mobil 1 AFE. Right now I'm using Amsoil 0w20 just for the winter and there is a winter drop, but more in the range of 3%.

Thinner oil = worse ring seal.

Perhaps on an older engine, it may result in a minuscule loss in performance?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thinner oil = worse ring seal.

Perhaps on an older engine, it may result in a minuscule loss in performance?

Pretty sure that's the case for mine. My engine had 200K on it at the time. It consumes oil as well.

Dohc98vteC, what is your mileage?

Just about to hit 130k...I realize the winter blend gas etc but I have had the car for 5 years now and it just seems worse. I need to check my tires again too I just remembered I have one a little low. Also, with remote start I am letting the car run 5 minutes or so before I get in so maybe it all makes sense now...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
Also, with remote start I am letting the car run 5 minutes or so before I get in so maybe it all makes sense now...

33.gif

It could be the weather or the winter fuel. Some BITOGer said in the southwest it was warm this week. Since your car is an 04 it is time to start swapping out the old with the new.

I would also agree on about changing the spark plugs to NKG Iridium. While you are changing the plugs change the gasket to the valve cover, replace the PCV, add a quarter bottle of RedLine SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner to the fuel tank, air filter, cabin air filter if your car has one, maybe a wheel alignment, and change radiator fluid.

Now the more costly items that should be considered looked on/replacing: shocks/structs, tires, a fuel pump, oil pump.

Remote starting your car for 5 minutes is not as bad as it sounds and isn't the problem.

I replaced my plugs at 96k with oem spec NGK Iridiums, K&N filter was re-oiled in the fall along with new antifreeze, added a bottle of STP complete fuel cleaner (normally I use Techron) a month ago. My Continental DSW tires are nearing the end of their life, and an alignment is needed. I will definitely replace the pcv that will be my next step.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
I am getting horrible mileage even for winter standards here. The only thing different is my dealer insisting on using 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil, instead of 5w-30 based on the Acura oil chart they have at the service dept. But the thing is for 2004 only 5w-30 is specified, not sure why same model same engine TSX would show 0w-20 and 5w-20. The car feels real sluggish too like performance is suffering. Bottom line, with temps here at well below 0 some nights, should I switch back to 5w-30?

Technically, yes, thinner oil could reduce MPG.

Thinner oil increases frictional loss in the valvetrain.
Thinner oil tends to decrease frictional loss in the bearings.
Thinner oil may increase or decrease the frictional loss in the cylinders.

Again, thinner oil always causes more fricton in the valvetrain. However, bearings and (most parts of the) cylinders are hydrodynamically lubricated and unless there is oil-film breakdown due to thinner oil, friction will be reduced. If there is oil-film breakdown due to thinner oil, hydrodynamic lubrication will fail and you will have more friction thanks to metal-to-metal contact like in the valvetrain.

So, yes, in principle, there is an optimum viscosity for highest MPG for a given engine. You can't go arbitrarily thin (0W-16, 0W-10, etc.) and hope that your MPG will keep increasing.

Also, different oils with give different MPG for the same SAE viscosity grade because of different friction modifiers and different base oil (synthetic gives better MPG).

All this said, I doubt that your loss of MPG is oil-related but I think you are more likely having some other maintenance or tune-up problems. Dealer might have messed up something else. Also, it's winter and MPG usually drops in the winter.

Winter blend fuel and cold are taking their toll here. Cars run rich longer in extreme cold using more fuel, and winter blend gas doesn't help matters much.

Use what you manual suggests for the temperatures encountered. Extreme cold temperatures equal much longer engine warm up. I doubt anyone is going to get good mileage this time of the year. I wonder if you are someone who warms up their car every morning before going out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back