Wright 1/2" sockets - first impression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am comparing a Craftsman (USA) 1 1/4" socket with a Wright 1 1/4" socket. Both new.

The wall thickness is about the same. The Wright socket is 3/16" deeper. The Craftsman is laser etched and engraved whereas the Wright socket is only engraved with a larger size markings.

The chrome on the Wright socket is a bright chrome vs more of a smoke chrome on the Craftsman socket.

The 1 1/16 and larger Wright sockets recess in for the last 1/2" on the end where the ratchet goes.

The machining on the inside of the Craftsman socket looks cleaner.

Both guaranteed for life.

Too much time on your hands. I have the same problem.
grin2.gif

I don't know about you but I stopped buying anything craftsman once they stopped being made in the USA.

That and their "Made in the USA" slogan. Which resulted in several lawsuits.

I have used Wright Tools for years, primarily 3/8" and ½" drive sockets and ratchets. I think they are very high quality. Their 3430 compact 3/8" drive ratchet is a favorite of mine.

How do these bad boys sneak in for ecotec filter cap removal? Shallower wins, generally.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
How do these bad boys sneak in for ecotec filter cap removal? Shallower wins, generally.
smile.gif

I use the Lisle socket for my Ecotec oil filter cap; its aluminum and very shallow so it fits just right.

I've become a big fan of Wright sockets, ratchets and wrenches. My new favorite is the tiny 1/4"-drive ratchet I just bought.

What about the detents Donald? The Wright should have normal detents and if the Craftsman is like their other sockets, it'll have detents that are very much different from the norm.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What about the detents Donald? The Wright should have normal detents and if the Craftsman is like their other sockets, it'll have detents that are very much different from the norm.

Here is a comparison of a Wright V Craftsman. Wright on the left.
DSC00001.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing

Here is a comparison of a Wright V Craftsman. Wright on the left.

That's an older Craftsman socket. The newer design used in the last several years is what Merk is talking about. The new double-detent design looks different than your pics.

Here's an image stolen off the interwebs that shows the design Merk is referencing. In these pics, there's an Armstrong and Craftsman socket shown, but they use the same detent design.

AM_CM_rust.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back