Drawing the line between 3/8" and 1/2" sockets

Deep or shallow?

I do own a set of Astro 3/8" Nano Sockets (6-24MM) for the "less common" situations.

I keep a 8-19mm 3/8" drive Semi Deep set on my Cart, Along with....
3/4", 21mm, 7/8" deep chrome 1/2" drive for lugnuts.
8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 18mm, 21mm deep impact 3/8" drive.
7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 13mm deep chrome 1/4" drive.

I work on domestics mostly & whats on my cart reflects that, Except the 14mm that I found while working on a car.

I find a mix of Semi Deep & Deep to work on most things.....If I need a shallow or swivel socket....I get it out of my main box.

Everyone's situation is unique & the vehicles you work on will dictate what sockets work best.

ZMTpds3.jpg

Was looking at Williams USA socket sets and noticed they offer two options for deep 3/8" chrome sockets:

Option #1: 8MM-19MM
Option #2: 6MM-25MM

Upon seeing this, two thoughts came to mind:

1) Aside from using shallow 22MM and 24MM sockets for certain oil filter removal tools, I have never "needed" to have 3/8" sockets above 19MM. Generally speaking, fasteners with heads larger than 19MM will be removed with 1/2" drive tools anyway, so what's the point?

2) Similarly, I do not see a reason to use 3/8" drive to remove a 6MM or 7MM head fastener. That is 1/4" territory, IMO. Heck, even 8 and 9MM head fasteners are arguably better served by 1/4".

Thoughts?
I have no 3/8" sockets. 1/4" and 1/2" cover everything. This was my Dad's feeling and it seemed reasonable so I went with it.

Maybe if I was a professional mechanic?

It just depends what I’m working on and the space available. 3/8 is always my go to but if it doesn’t work either because of space or just not enough leverage then I get other drives out. I’ve got 3/8 down to 6mm up to 24mm. In standard it’s 1/4 (I actually have a single 3/16 3/8 drive I found at the pawn shop but haven’t ever needed it and don’t think I’ve used 3/16 either), 1/4 from 4mm to 15mm or standard from I think it’s 5/32 maybe smaller up to 9/16 but do want to get a 5/8 one too. But it just depends on space. Also could depend on what it is and how much torque you need.

Side note: apparently Williams USA does not offer a deep 21MM in 3/8” drive.

For me the 3/8" is the go-to. It's light enough to work above my head and big enough to get most stuff to budge (in an engine room). It that doesn't fit I use a wrench or 1/4". Or if the bolt needs more persuading, 1/2", maybe with a pipe over the handle, or a breaker bar

It just depends what I’m working on and the space available. 3/8 is always my go to but if it doesn’t work either because of space or just not enough leverage then I get other drives out. I’ve got 3/8 down to 6mm up to 24mm. In standard it’s 1/4 (I actually have a single 3/16 3/8 drive I found at the pawn shop but haven’t ever needed it and don’t think I’ve used 3/16 either), 1/4 from 4mm to 15mm or standard from I think it’s 5/32 maybe smaller up to 9/16 but do want to get a 5/8 one too. But it just depends on space. Also could depend on what it is and how much torque you need.

exactly. I even have 1/4" in long and short handle versions if space is really challenging.

I find I use 1/4" up to about 12 mm or so, and 3/8" ratchets up to about 19mm the most. 1/2" drive is usually with a small impact gun, 15mm and up if space allows it.

Side note: apparently Williams USA does not offer a deep 21MM in 3/8” drive.
Yeah I ran into this yesterday. Your thread got me thinking so I started looking for 5/8" in 1/4" drive. Williams offers a shallow but they don't list a deep in either 6pt or 12pt. I was looking at product listings directly on their home page.

So far I haven't found a deep 5/8" in 1/4" drive but I haven't exhausted all options yet.

Yeah I ran into this yesterday. Your thread got me thinking so I started looking for 5/8" in 1/4" drive. Williams offers a shallow but they don't list a deep in either 6pt or 12pt. I was looking at product listings directly on their home page.

So far I haven't found a deep 5/8" in 1/4" drive but I haven't exhausted all options yet.

Reactions: D60

Might just have to go Snap-On - a STM20A is $30.25.

I convinced a seller to throw a deep 21mm Flank Drive into my other order for $25....not much more than what a Williams USA socket would have been.

Reactions: D60
I will say -- I'm doing the left side variable valve oil pressure switch on an '06 Forester 2.5 and wishing for a chrome 24mm deep in 3/8" drive.

I was able to get on it with a 1/2" impact socket but it's snug with wiring harnii :) in my way.

A chrome socket in a smaller drive size would feel less like shoving an elephant thru a narrow door way....

Anyway I ordered Tekton 6pt in both deep and standard depth. And then stumbled on a Blue Point deep 12pt on ebay so ordered that, too ( @The Critic starts twitching envisioning mis-matched brands -- Tekton and BluePoint will be thrown in with my Craftsman 3/8" chrome sockets. The horror!)

Back