3/8 or 1/2 impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been going back and forth with this one. I want a M12 stubby fuel impact.

I have about 3 M12 Milwaukee batteries and chargers. Currently i use their HEX non fuel drill with a 3/8 or hex 8mm/ 10mm adapter on it. I mainly use this for speed up all upper engine work or interior.

I have a compressor with a 1/2 IR 2135Ti and a 3/8 stubby Astro Nano. I dont use them much as a home garage guy. I use the nano mainly for brake work. Suspension and underbody needs the big boy almost always. I honestly didn't use the 3/8 nano as much as i thought i would have.

My 3/8 socket sizing goes from 8mm-18mm. I think i would like to use the m12 for lug nuts but most of my lugs are 21mm.

I could a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter or just find bigger 3/8 sockets set would cover it. But if it reduces too much power then it would be useless. Seems like everyone is getting the 1/2 and in a perfect world i would buy both but right now only budget for 1.

Thoughts? I'm leaning on the 3/8 and finding a larger budget socket set that can go up maybe 24mm deep and shallow.

I own a 3/8" stubby:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...0511/milwaukee-2554-22-3-8-stubby-impact

It is excellent for removing fasteners up to 150 ft-lbs.

For tightening, 50-100 ft lbs. It's sweet spot is the 40-70 ft-lb range; if you need it to tighten to 100 ft-lbs or more, you'll be hearing it hammer for a while.

I mainly use mine for removing bolts. For installing I do use my torque wrench quite a bit, so I'll use the stubby to snug down fasteners. If you are expecting the gun to tighten every removed fastener to the same spec as it was previously tightened, you will be disappointed.

For your purposes, your best option is to buy a M18 3/8 mid-torque impact.

I would probably get the 3/8"......I use my air powered 1/2" IR 231 on ALL disassembly work above 8mm. Then use my battery 3/8" impact to run stuff down, Then torque it to spec. There's some accessory stuff I'll torque down with my battery 3/8" & 1/4" impacts.

My coworkers drive me nuts trying to use cordless/battery powered tools for disassembly.....Hammer, Hammer, Hammer for 5 minutes straight.....Change the battery.....Hammer, Hammer, Hammer for another 5 minutes, Stop for 3-5 minutes while they get their air impact & roll out a hose. Then again Hammer on it for a few seconds.

You've already got the 1/2 air for big stuff.

I'd go for the 3/8, and round out your socket needs there. Get yourself a set of Nano extra-shallow sockets, for tight clearance situations, as well as the standard shallow and deep set, including the 19mm and 21mm deeps you so obviously need.

I have, and can recommend the Astro Pneumatic 78314 6-19mm extra shallow Metric set, and the Sunex 3329 Metric Master set (deeps, shallows 8mm up to 22mm and a U Joint, no skips except for 20mm), but there are other good choices.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I own a 3/8" stubby:

For tightening, 50-100 ft lbs. It's sweet spot is the 40-70 ft-lb range; if you need it to tighten to 100 ft-lbs or more, you'll be hearing it hammer for a while.

I mainly use mine for removing bolts. For installing I do use my torque wrench quite a bit, so I'll use the stubby to snug down fasteners. If you are expecting the gun to tighten every removed fastener to the same spec as it was previously tightened, you will be disappointed.

The M18 line never really got me interested in it. Didn't see the advantage over my air tools.

The sweet spot you stated is exactly where i need it to be.

Originally Posted by HangFire

I have, and can recommend the Astro Pneumatic 78314 6-19mm extra shallow Metric set, and the Sunex 3329 Metric Master set (deeps, shallows 8mm up to 22mm and a U Joint, no skips except for 20mm), but there are other good choices.

Loving the Astro extra shallow. Thank you!

Don't the 3/8 and 1/2 drive have the same torque rating?

These aren't monster machines. If I was buying a stubby for space purposes, I'd want to use 3/8" sockets which are marginally smaller. If space and fastener size isn't critical, I'd run the standard 1/2 full size gun.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Don't the 3/8 and 1/2 drive have the same torque rating?

These aren't monster machines. If I was buying a stubby for space purposes, I'd want to use 3/8" sockets which are marginally smaller. If space and fastener size isn't critical, I'd run the standard 1/2 full size gun.

Correct the M12 units are both around 250ft/lb.

My 3/8 nano is like 400ish and my 1/2 IR2135 is like 750lb. So i can always move up if power is needed. My daily usage shouldn't be much more then 100ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by bowlofturtle
Originally Posted by The Critic
I own a 3/8" stubby:

The M18 line never really got me interested in it. Didn't see the advantage over my air tools.

The sweet spot you stated is exactly where i need it to be.

Sounds like the Stubby will be a great fit for your needs. Join the Jersey Discount Tools/Nick Morello page, there are always great deals on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back