What are the socket sizes needed for 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2?

Automechanic, where are you from? I noticed you said hot water heater. Thats a term we use here (South Louisiana), instead of water heater, and always get a weird look elsewhere when said 😂😂😂….I’ll tell people till I’m blue in the face, Cajuns are different, I’m just fine not speaking like the majority.

Automechanic, where are you from? I noticed you said hot water heater. Thats a term we use here (South Louisiana), instead of water heater, and always get a weird look elsewhere when said 😂😂😂….I’ll tell people till I’m blue in the face, Cajuns are different, I’m just fine not speaking like the majority.
I’m a Virginia boy lol. Actually from Tazewell VA which is near the border of WV. But live in Roanoke Virginia.

1/4 and 3/8 are my go to. Half inch only comes out for big boy stuff like suspension occasionally a brake caliper that won’t come loose, taking wheels off etc. I don’t know anyone that uses 1/2 on a regular basis as far as just for regular wrenching. Just don’t use 1/4 on a belt tensioner learned that when my coworker broke my brand new long 1/4 ratchet on a belt tensioner with my 15mm socket lol. It was the only thing that would fit.

I'm not a professional wrench by any means, but I feel like 90% of my ratchet use is 3/8". It seems most likely to turn a 3/8" bolt with 9/16" head.

Classic Chevy transmission bolts, water pump bolts, etc.

Back