Wrangler...w/ Manual Windows

So you're a noob. LOL
You'd be shocked at what a bone stock Jeep could do. But your type would never admit to it. :LOL:

So keep up with the silly posts. I think he's got a great Jeep right there. They don't have to be modded to go offroad. The braggers around here usually are the ones driving weeknight ice cream Jeeps. The dead giveaway is someone arguing that a stock Jeep is not capable.

You'd be shocked at what a bone stock Jeep could do. But your type would never admit to it. :LOL:

So keep up with the silly posts. I think he's got a great Jeep right there. They don't have to be modded to go offroad. The braggers around here usually are the ones driving weeknight ice cream Jeeps. The dead giveaway is someone arguing that a stock Jeep is not capable.

I think there was a mis-understanding. Was just adding some humor. I know you're a Jeep guy.

My "type" helped start a Stock-based club here in New England almost 25 years ago. I'm still a member and I'm usually the guy helping the new folks fix their broken u-joints or battery welding something on the trail.

I complimented his Jeep and never bragged or demeaned what stock Jeeps can do. Pretty sure I know exactly what they are capable of.
In fact, I love wheeling my '59 (stock) and my '87 (2" lift on 235/75R15 GY Wranglers, so may as well be stock). Not sure where your "argument" is coming from, but that's OK, maybe my humor was misunderstood.

I'm happy to talk Jeep with anyone here on the forum. PM's are welcome. The one thing consistent about Jeep people I've found over the years is that they are Cool people.

Last edited:

I was washing the crud from under the Rubicon at daylight … kept looking and thinking that is factory artwork and why the heck go crazy to modify that … so far just a winch plate/winch … don’t see where it’s short of much …
(I have placed a fair amount of recovery kit and tools in the back)

I was washing the crud from under the Rubicon at daylight … kept looking and thinking that is factory artwork and why the heck go crazy to modify that … so far just a winch plate/winch … don’t see where it’s short of much …
(I have placed a fair amount of recovery kit and tools in the back)

My first Jeep was a 93 YJ with 215 Goodyear Wrangler tires, no radio, soft top, 4 cylinder, and 5 speed. I do think it had a limited slip in the rear but it wasn't worth much. I had that thing off road every other weekend. Loved it on the road just as much. I guess the first mod I did was to put a stereo in it, which never sounded good, and a CB. I later added front sway bar disconnects, which made a huge difference. Then ultimately I went to 29" Mud Terrains. Lol, I thought those were big! Anyway, that little Jeep was so light and balanced (50/50 weight distribution) that it really was hard to get stuck. If you did, it could be pushed out most of the time. The last two mods I did were a portable Warn M8000 winch that fit front or rear in a hitch receiver and Line-X in the interior because I ran all summer with no top and open drain plugs.

Life was so much simpler then! I kick myself for selling it everytime I see a YJ. It was in perfect shape at 10 years old and 150k miles when I said goodbye to it. I'll probably never sell either of my current Wranglers. Both of them are loaded and lifted Rubicons (although they do have manual transmissions). But I do miss the simplicity and stone-age refinement of that old YJ sometimes.

If I had enough money for just one more, I'd jump on a base 2 door like OP's, except with half doors. Maybe even without air conditioning.

My first Jeep was a 93 YJ with 215 Goodyear Wrangler tires, no radio, soft top, 4 cylinder, and 5 speed. I do think it had a limited slip in the rear but it wasn't worth much. I had that thing off road every other weekend. Loved it on the road just as much. I guess the first mod I did was to put a stereo in it, which never sounded good, and a CB. I later added front sway bar disconnects, which made a huge difference. Then ultimately I went to 29" Mud Terrains. Lol, I thought those were big! Anyway, that little Jeep was so light and balanced (50/50 weight distribution) that it really was hard to get stuck. If you did, it could be pushed out most of the time. The last two mods I did were a portable Warn M8000 winch that fit front or rear in a hitch receiver and Line-X in the interior because I ran all summer with no top and open drain plugs.

Life was so much simpler then! I kick myself for selling it everytime I see a YJ. It was in perfect shape at 10 years old and 150k miles when I said goodbye to it. I'll probably never sell either of my current Wranglers. Both of them are loaded and lifted Rubicons (although they do have manual transmissions). But I do miss the simplicity and stone-age refinement of that old YJ sometimes.

If I had enough money for just one more, I'd jump on a base 2 door like OP's, except with half doors. Maybe even without air conditioning.
Nice … have learned how to trick the sway bar by going into 4Lo for the back lakes (mud) and when I go back to 4Hi for sand - I just keep my speed down slow enough and it stays out of spline … it handles the ruts SO much better like that … No AC ??? Not here … after a while I rolled up the windows to let the nice Alpine system play Grateful Dead on XM … Plus the tires and wind will put lots of sand inside … 😷

Nice … have learned how to trick the sway bar by going into 4Lo for the back lakes (mud) and when I go back to 4Hi for sand - I just keep my speed down slow enough and it stays out of spline … it handles the ruts SO much better like that … No AC ??? Not here … after a while I rolled up the windows to let the nice Alpine system play Grateful Dead on XM … Plus the tires and wind will put lots of sand inside … 😷
Lol! I did forget to mention that I added AC to that YJ when I spent a year living in Houston. I would not have survived without it!

Congrats to your wife! My Rubicon is a 2-door because I didn't need another station wagon.

What part of the reverse lockout has to do with the shift knob? Newest manual transmission I have driven was 2006ish. The only reverse lockout I ever knew of was my 5 speed s10 that wouldn’t let you go from 5th to reverse without pulling the stick back to the middle of the pattern.
There is a sliding collar that you lift to be able to engage reverse. The Lotus has it also, but it is ~1.5" lower so you don't touch it unless you intend to.

I have a 95 RioGrande with a 2.5 that is on it's last leg (no oil pressure anymore). Two weeks ago I took it on a rally that I swore was going to blow it up, but man, that little stock YJ drove over every river bank, creek bank, hill side, and rock pile thrown at it. It was only the mud that got it, but a minor tug got it out.

As they say on the Jeep Talk Show Podcast, Jeeps give you superpowers!

Attachments

• Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 9
I have a 95 RioGrande with a 2.5 that is on it's last leg (no oil pressure anymore). Two weeks ago I took it on a rally that I swore was going to blow it up, but man, that little stock YJ drove over every river bank, creek bank, hill side, and rock pile thrown at it. It was only the mud that got it, but a minor tug got it out.

That's awesome! Great looking YJ, too! You going to rebuild that engine?

I would verify that it actually has no oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. It could just be a bad sender, connection, wiring, or the gauge.

That's awesome! Great looking YJ, too! You going to rebuild that engine?
Yes. I’m plastigauging the rod bearings soon to see how bad it is. It’ll run good pressure on short trips, but can’t get above 20PSI on long runs at speed.

Runs like a champ, gets 18 mpg and burns NO oil!

I have a 95 RioGrande with a 2.5 that is on it's last leg (no oil pressure anymore).

You guys might be surprised that my YJ is a 2.5L. I have an old Mopar cam and intake/exhaust mods. I bolted it to a Muncie SM420 transmission using a 1986 S-10 2.8L bellhousing.

I agree with @02SE . The factory oil pressure sensor is a common issue. I don't even use it anymore, I went mechanical. Quick off road recovery tip - I keep a 1/8" NPT plug in my glove box from when I did have the factory sensor as when they fail, they sometimes leak.

You guys might be surprised that my YJ is a 2.5L. I have an old Mopar cam and intake/exhaust mods. I bolted it to a Muncie SM420 transmission using a 1986 S-10 2.8L bellhousing.

I agree with @02SE . The factory oil pressure sensor is a common issue. I don't even use it anymore, I went mechanical. Quick off road recovery tip - I keep a 1/8" NPT plug in my glove box from when I did have the factory sensor as when they fail, they sometimes leak.
I installed a mechanical gauge last winter just to be sure. Using 15w-40 I idle at 9 psi, which isn’t bad using the 10psi every 1000 rpm. The problem is flatlining at 20 PSI after driving a long distance. I even tried a quart of Lucas, but that did nothing, so I drained it out and put real oil in.

Part of me just wants to drive until it blows, but I know that wastes an engine. I can rebuild this one, hopefully.

It has manual crank windows like the OP does. I’d really like to get a new Jeep, but I’m waiting until the fad ends an I can get a 2-3 year old Jeep without a mortgage!

Around here, most 4-door Wranglers are driven by soccer moms and used to drop kids off to school and go shopping. I know they are capable but about the only time they get off a paved road is at the farmers market gravel parking lot.
I’d rather my wife drive a Wrangler than a **** van. Perhaps they bought what they liked? I honestly can’t thing of very many good looking SUV’s.

Jeep always gets the short end of the stick. They are so capable, people dog on them for not being used accordingly. The people who buy trucks with no intention of hauling or can’t even back a trailer get that free pass though.

"flatlining at 20 PSI" Where is the oil pressure relief at? Almost sounds like it's stuck or something in it.
I’ll look into that. I’m new to this level of engine repair. I’m very mechanical, but never gone this deep before outside of a lawn mower.

Back