Wrangler JL Headlight Upgrade

What are folks' thoughts and experience with quality headlight upgrades for these cars? Will a traditional "E" Code fit with an adapter?

We just test drove a '21 Wrangler Sport, Wife is ordering one. She is tired of the diesel 90, aka "Stinky", as the Summer house car.

Great car, I had a '99 TJ and miss it, but the new ones are much more civilized. Clutch was weird, long throw, light and no feel, but not a big deal and probably necessary for the market.

One complaint; the headlights were awful. We are spoiled by very good headlights on the DD's and younger toys and quality "E" Codes on the veterans, but the headlights in the JL we drove were pitiful.

Did some searching in other forums, but info and opinions were all over the map, and I know a few here actually have JL's.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
My wife said her 2017 4 door Unlimited had horrible headlights. I drove it at night and she was right. You could hardly tell the difference between brights and dims. Long story short they weren't aimed right. Not even close. Both were aimed too high, way too high, to the point nobody was giving her the bright / dims. I re-aimed them like all my other cars and was like getting new headlights. Don't assume they are set right.

My wife said her 2017 4 door Unlimited had horrible headlights. I drove it at night and she was right. You could hardly tell the difference between brights and dims. Long story short they weren't aimed right. Not even close. Both were aimed too high, way too high, to the point nobody was giving her the bright / dims. I re-aimed them like all my other cars and was like getting new headlights. Don't assume they are set right.
Thanks! I will drive up to something next time and see.....interesting.

Doing more reading, appears that many/most upgrades use an adapter which allows the use of standard 7" headlight forms. Opens up lost of possibilities. I have heard a lot of good about the JW Speakers, thanks.

I’ll second checking the aim first, I’ve encountered the same thing with Jeep’s, and my Ford. Factory had them full horizontal, and the bulk of the light never made it to the pavement.

Cannot overstate the importance of correct aim.

A few of my older vehicles still use SAE conversion housings in Cibie flavor with GE/Tungsram Megalight +120 bulbs.

I use a Chrysler C-4666 SAE (3 stud) aimer for these, with the appropriate adapter for the headlamp shape/size.

Pro tips -

1/ The C-4666 is likely what Walker Evans used. The Pentastar logo on the case trumps the Hoppy logo. Bigly.

2/ Say no to sloppy Euro H4s & go for tighter spec'd SAE 9003 bulbs. Very important to use approved & certified NSN isopropyl alcohol to wipe the bulb glass before installing.

3/ The C-logo Cibies are a bonus - likely a secret limited edition for Cummins trucks.

4/ Set the floor slope depending on the short track one uses most.

5/ Set vertical aim via NOS Mopar adjuster screws/inserts - Dorman adjusters are absolutely not recommended.

6/ Set horizontal aim as above, and recheck vertical aim.

7/ Put away the C-4666, and re aim headlamps when ambient temperature changes. Because denser winter air makes lumens flow less, much like any oil heavier than a 0w16.

My headlamps, while on, register 12.4v engine off & 13.8-14.1v depending on ambient, while the old 359 slant six is running.

Quite the opposite from oil, thicker PD wires with better than spec sockets/terminals = mo' flowz.

IMG_8624.jpeg
IMG_8626.jpeg
IMG_8627.jpeg
IMG_8628.jpeg
IMG_8394.jpeg
IMG_7550.jpeg
IMG_7446.jpeg

Btw - like vintage Mopar wheel studs -
It’s important to use only left-thread headlight fluid in the driver’s side lamp, and right-thread headlight fluid in the passenger side lamp.

My brother has a JK. The stock headlights were terrible. We ended up adding the Quadratech brand LED’s. $300 or so whereas Mopar LED’s were $900 something.

Been on for 4 years now. No issues. Visibility is awesome. Easy to install too.

Cannot overstate the importance of correct aim.
IIHS does not check or adjust headlight aim when they do evaluations.
"Headlights are tested as received from the dealer. Although many headlight problems could be resolved by adjusting the aim of the lamps, IIHS doesn't change headlight aim. Few vehicle owners adjust the vertical aim of their headlights, so leaving the aim the way it was set at the factory makes the testing more realistic."

I posted on another forum that this reduces the scientific validity of the test and IIHS should use their soapbox to encourage consumers to get their headlights checked.

Back