WPP oils, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no top of the line in a second tier oil like Warren.

Mag 1 is the same as Peak Synthetic.

If you watch Pep Boys, they sell Peak Synthetic cheap every now and then.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

I have been told by others on here that peak and mag1 are NOT the same... don't get me wrong, I am not saying you are wrong, I am just saying that I have heard so many differing views on if those two (and other comparisons) are or are not the same that I don't know WHAT to believe haha. Either way, I would use either one. In my mind, Mag1 IS the top of the line oil from WPP... and FWIW, generally Mag1 has a very positive rep here on BITOG.

How do you get the idea that WPP is a second rate oil?

It has to meet the same standards as any other oil to be API certified.

There gas been many uoa's of WPP oils on this board and there has not been one that was bad.

WPP has shown itself to be as good an oil, if not better,than any of the larger "name brand" oils and has done this repeatedly.

The specs on the PDS are different for both of those oils. While WPP does make the PEAK, it appears they are different oils.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
I see a lot of discussion on here about thin vs. thick, but rarely ever see the most logical argument - "It depends." For those who drive mostly city miles, running a thinner weight is fine. Even those who drive half and half city/highway could use 5w-20, that is, if they are light-footed and don't haul. For those who like to get on the throttle alot, running a thicker weight of oil makes for better shear protection. And that is especially true for those who haul heavy loads a lot. I normally don't haul much, but I get up pretty hard in the rev's a lot so I use 5w-30.

My 2010 would totally disagree with your theory having towed nearly half of its 123K miles all on 5W-20 or 0W-20. I have UOA'ed every OC and there has been ZERO shearing. Like it or not xW-20 can handle anything your triton can throw at it; Ford has already proven that thus the reason some year tritons are back spec'ed to use xW-20 whereas the early models are not.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Triton_330
I see a lot of discussion on here about thin vs. thick, but rarely ever see the most logical argument - "It depends." For those who drive mostly city miles, running a thinner weight is fine. Even those who drive half and half city/highway could use 5w-20, that is, if they are light-footed and don't haul. For those who like to get on the throttle alot, running a thicker weight of oil makes for better shear protection. And that is especially true for those who haul heavy loads a lot. I normally don't haul much, but I get up pretty hard in the rev's a lot so I use 5w-30.

My 2010 would totally disagree with your theory having towed nearly half of its 123K miles all on 5W-20 or 0W-20. I have UOA'ed every OC and there has been ZERO shearing. Like it or not xW-20 can handle anything your triton can throw at it; Ford has already proven that thus the reason some year tritons are back spec'ed to use xW-20 whereas the early models are not.

Not to start any oil weight debate here, but the differences in my trucks engine and yours IS actually real, and isn't just about 2V versus 3V. Ford's Triton engine from 1997 to 2003 (mine is a 2001) used 2V per cylinder but did not have VVT (variable valve timing). My truck is the tenth gen F series, and yours is actually the 12th gen. Starting in the 11th gen (thus also including your 12th gen 2010) DID use VVT, and thus, though it is not a huge deal, your engine actually was made for 5w-20 because of the VVT...

If it had not been for CAFE reasons, Ford would have spec'd 5w-30 in my 2001 2V non-vvt 5.4L v8 Triton engine. Thus, I run 5w-30 in my truck.

I am not saying using either weight in either engine will hurt a thing. In fact, I've run 10w-40 in my truck before, and, I've also used 5w-20 (my truck was being serviced at a Ford dealer for the cruise control recall and they just decided to change the oil [and put in 5w-20], too).

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
...can handle anything your triton can throw at it

Now this is probably the best quote I've seen in a long time! You are absolutely right there... The Triton modular engines are about the most durable engine I know of. No matter the generation, I've seen tons and tons of F-150s, some well taken care of, some abused like a redneck racecar, and all of them were running just fine with whatever oil they had in it.

Anyways, I guess what my point is here, is that the VVT engines were "said" to be more picky about oil weights and supposedly they ran better on 5w-20. I really don't know or care, but what I can tell you is that in my F-150, I will not put 5w-20 (besides when the dealership did) in it because (albeit, yes it's probably all in my head for the sake of it), I just feel that, with my driving habits and heavy foot, my engine will last longer with 5w-30. Again, that's just IMHO... Whether or not it's true, God only knows. But for what it's worth, I give you kudos for statement on the durability of the Triton engine.

P.S. I don't know if your generation is or not, but my 2001 Triton may possibly still be able to be considered a Windsor. I opened the door and looked at the sticker, and viola, right there it said "Windsor, Canada" ... I had to chuckle a little, since, either way, both the Windsor and Triton engines have always been good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back