WPP oils, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow BITOG-ers. I was bored and started to do some research on base oil companies and was curious to learn just how many oils are from Warren Performance Products. Though some may be WPP only in certain areas of the nation (United States), I was just had a few simple questions about some WPP oils.

1. There are quite a few brands, and off the top of my head I can list Super Tech, Accel, Mag1, and Spectrum. What others did I miss?

2. I've seen some differing views here on BITOG as to whether or not these (or some of these) are exactly the same thing, rebadged - say, Mag1 vs Super Tech - are they the same?

3. Be it in general, or specific comparison, is WPP better than WNE?

4. On WPP's website, you can find an MSDS for many different oils: WPP MSDS Page (search "oil"). Are all of these listed with their MSDS actually made by WPP?

5. I know, 5 questions in one post - sorry. Would 6 quarts of Mag1 Synthetic for 30 bucks be a good deal, if, in fact, Mag1 is good oil?

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Would 6 quarts of Mag1 Synthetic for 30 bucks be a good deal, if, in fact, Mag1 is good oil?

That's not really any better than the sale price for the other big names like Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil, etc. For $30 you can usually get 5 qt/5.1 qt jug AND a filter for $30.

To answer some of your questions.

WPP also makes APP, AZ, traveler motor oils.

No just because those msds are listed there, WPP does not make those oils. WPP is owned by Warren Distribution which is a distribution company that moves a lot of motor oil. Any shipper/trucking company that is the supplier is required to have msds of their cargo.

WD=WPP=WNE, same company.

Mag 1 is a good oil for the price, especially if you don't want to fund walmart. Yes autopart stores MAY be cheaper when on sale, but this is a non sale price so it is apples to oranges. Mag1 website can give you a lot of information. Unlike other companies they're not afraid to tell you how much CA, Moly, ZDDP, P... ect are in their oils plus all the other specs. If you have any questions their tech/product support is awesome about answering questions with fast turn around time.

Originally Posted By: volk06
WPP does not make spectrum.

At one time they did. I remember looking at bottles of Spectrum High Mileage at Sears, and they were stamped as WPP. The others were not. They were stamped Madras.

Peak is blended by WNE also.

I wouldn't be surprised if they blended for some major brands under contract.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salv
Originally Posted By: volk06
WPP does not make spectrum.

At one time they did. I remember looking at bottles of Spectrum High Mileage at Sears, and they were stamped as WPP. The others were not. They were stamped Madras.

Peak is blended by WNE also.

I wouldn't be surprised if they blended for some major brands under contract.

I forgot about Peak

I did not know that they made it at one time. Must have been my pre-bitog days. In my area for the past 5 years it had the madras with the square stairs looking bottle.

I wouldn't surprise me either because I remember at one point WPP sourcing SOPUS base oils or making their oil some, I don't exactly recall what it was.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Would 6 quarts of Mag1 Synthetic for 30 bucks be a good deal, if, in fact, Mag1 is good oil?

That's not really any better than the sale price for the other big names like Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil, etc. For $30 you can usually get 5 qt/5.1 qt jug AND a filter for $30.

Well I would need 6 quarts, so I'd have to buy a separate quart, but I see what you mean. Usually Valvoline, Pennzoil, and Quaker State is fairly priced for a 5 quart jug of synthetic. As for Castrol and Mobil, well they're a little more expensive and there'd be no justifiable reason to get them instead, unless it's a preference. I don't really have a major preference, so as long as its API spec'd up to date I don't care too much about the brand.

All that is besides my point, though. I was wondering if Mag1 and Super Tech were the same or different. If they are the same, Super Tech is the better deal. If not, then for 6 quarts of full synth, 30 bucks seems like a reasonable price.

I got some Amazon cards for Christmas and was just browsing oil, and that caught my eye. Sure, like you were talking about name brands before, I could find a 5 quart jug and filter for under 30 bucks at Walmart, but I'd also need to buy another quart since I need 6, which pushes the price over 30 bucks, and then my truck only gets 18 mpg highway, and the nearest Walmart is 18 miles away - so add in the price of 2 gallons of gas... And now, the total I've spent on both gas and the oil (and filter) I bought is almost, if not just at, 40 bucks. Compared to buying both the oil and filter on Amazon (free shipping), going to Walmart for the cheaper oil actually winds up costing more in the end.

Castrol and Mobil are generally not more expensive. The auto parts stores rotate different oils as part of the 5qt+filter deal.

At AutoZone right now, for example:
5 qt. Jug or 5 qt's Mobil 1 w/Bosch Oil Filter $32.99 Add $4.00 for Mobil 1 Oil Filter

$29.99 for the same thing is not uncommon at all.

Castrol and Mobil are generally not more expensive. The auto parts stores rotate different oils as part of the 5qt+filter deal.

5 qt. Jug or 5 qt's Mobil 1 w/Bosch Oil Filter $32.99 Add $4.00 for Mobil 1 Oil Filter

Look, this thread has gotten a little off focus. I want to know if Mag1 is equal to Super Tech, or if it's better. Besides, like I said before, I need 6 quarts.

Look, this thread has gotten a little off focus. I want to know if Mag1 is equal to Super Tech, or if it's better. Besides, like I said before, I need 6 quarts.

Mag1 and supertech are not the same formulations. The specs are different and WPP will tell you that they are not the same and that MAG1 is their top teir oil.

I can't answer for TODAY but, recently, WPP/WNE was providing oils for W*M SuperTech, PepBoys ProLine, MAG1, Accel, Some AdvAutoParts Oil, PEAK, SEARS Sprectum-no longer but, I love the new bottles.

Looking at Mag1 specs, I see their 0W-20 meets Chrysler MS-6395. Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 doesn't have approval yet.

In October, I got Mobil 1 quarts from Costco for $4.66 per quart (5.06 after tax). I would choose Mobil 1 over Mag 1 at this price every time.

Quote:

Use either one with confidence.

WPP blends a whole host of oils for various sales companies with various labels.

If you have the cash and want to set up a company with a particular Brand name you can contract with them or Smitty's or any host of other blending companies and sell your own oil.

Quote:
I know, 5 questions in one post - sorry. Would 6 quarts of Mag1 Synthetic for 30 bucks be a good deal, if, in fact, Mag1 is good oil?

Just make sure the literature states it covers your vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

+1 Definitely the most important part of buying any oil. If it's API certified and correct weight, there are no worries. Though, I tend to use 5w-30 over 5w-20 in my F150 since mine is an '01. 2004 and up are a little different since they were built for 5w-20, but Ford would have spec'd 5w-30 for my truck if not for the economy aspect of lighter weight oils getting involved. My generation of the Triton engine is 2V (as compared to 3V of 2004 and up) and so I use 5w-30 for a little better protection from shearing, since I am heavy footed more than not...

No, I don't think Mag1 is the same tier as SuperTech. ST is closer to Accel than Mag1. I think Mag1 is a higher quality oil than ST and Accel.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

+1 Definitely the most important part of buying any oil. If it's API certified and correct weight, there are no worries. Though, I tend to use 5w-30 over 5w-20 in my F150 since mine is an '01. 2004 and up are a little different since they were built for 5w-20, but Ford would have spec'd 5w-30 for my truck if not for the economy aspect of lighter weight oils getting involved. My generation of the Triton engine is 2V (as compared to 3V of 2004 and up) and so I use 5w-30 for a little better protection from shearing, since I am heavy footed more than not...

The engine was not "built" for 5w20, the just went to it for CAFE reasons and the 04 year was convenient because of the 3V transition. You can find the same engine in other countries spec'ing 5w30 all the way to 10w40.

Warren, in it's many guises, is good oil.

Practically everyone that doesn't care about oil has a Warren product in their oil pan.

Most oil change joints and dealer service centers use bulk Warren for basic oil changes.

It's all about the money boys.

To the OP's question, I would not buy Mag 1 synthetic at top tier oil prices.

Wait for a sale.

In the meantime, I'd use Super Tech dino and be happy.

If you must buy synthetic, 5 qt. jugs of Quaker State at Walmart is the best way to go. I know you need 6 qts. Go ahead and buy the second jug unless you are never going to change the oil again in the vehicle.

volk06 - Well I stand corrected. Either way, I run 5w-30 in my truck. I'd have used it in the next generation F-150 anyways, even if I was wrong about it being/not being built for a certain spec. CAFE can eat my exhaust, lol. Honestly, in my mind, the best oil weight for my truck would be 0w-30, or even 0w-40 (if I were to be towing), but I can't find them as cheap as 5w-30.

I see a lot of discussion on here about thin vs. thick, but rarely ever see the most logical argument - "It depends." For those who drive mostly city miles, running a thinner weight is fine. Even those who drive half and half city/highway could use 5w-20, that is, if they are light-footed and don't haul. For those who like to get on the throttle alot, running a thicker weight of oil makes for better shear protection. And that is especially true for those who haul heavy loads a lot. I normally don't haul much, but I get up pretty hard in the rev's a lot so I use 5w-30.

SilverC6 - Well, if Mag1 really is the top-of-the-line oil from Warren, I don't think 30 bucks for 6 quarts is a bad deal. I've decided to wait for a better deal anyways, though. Nonetheless, I like to buy on Amazon because I have gift cards, and because of the free shipping, but if I had a Walmart gift card, that deal on Quaker State looks pretty darn good. I checked online and its only 21 bucks for a 5 quart jug. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back