Would you?

I'm thinking about getting new tires for my van and have had bad experiences with tire shops(every time) would you ask the shop to use a torque wrench?
I've had two studs broken off and all the lug nuts destroyed in the past. I just kind of expect a torque wrench to be used, but it doesn't happen.

It's more work for me, and doable because I have the room, but I lift mine with scissor jacks and take the wheels to the shop and have the new tires mounted. Gives me the opportunity to inspect the brakes and lines. Then use my torque wrench to tighten to spec. More work, but if I have the time it's kind of relaxing. Not everyone can do this, but it's an option.

But to answer your question, nothing wrong with asking. A good shop should accommodate.

Les Schwab has been my go-to tire shop, you can watch them working on your car and they always use a torque wrench. ;)

You could just bring your breaker bar and torque wrench and break them all loose, properly torque them before leaving. As long as they don’t break or cross thread and studs, the studs and rotors will be fine overtorqued for a few minutes.

You could just bring your breaker bar and torque wrench and break them all loose, properly torque them before leaving. As long as they don’t break or cross thread and studs, the studs and rotors will be fine overtorqued for a few minutes.
Not if the studs get into the plastic zone.

OP should go on a not-busy weekday and tip the tech with the expectations understood. Yes, it's a moral hazard in that you should expect this service anyway, but the garage collects $150/hr and pays the guy $15/hr.

Never had an issue with Costco or Discount Tire. They seem to do everything by the book with torque wrenches and asking customers to come back after a week to retorque the wheels.

+1 on Discount Tire. They've always done a terrific job for me and I've used several shops in several states.

Not really. A "fatigue" fracture could get started. The stud could go into the plastic zone. And there could even be a brittle fracture.

I'd rather no-one over-tightened the lug nuts.
I feel like that’d take a hell of a lot of Ugga dugga’s. The tech should be familiar enough with his gun to NOT do that. Not saying they definitely won’t, but tightening it to the point you guys are talking about is a bit rare.

The tech should be familiar enough with his gun to NOT do that. Not saying they definitely won’t, but tightening it to the point you guys are talking about is a bit rare.
There have been several posts on "Bob" concerning broken wheel studs. I assume that broken studs are (usually) caused by over-tightened lug nuts somewhere along the line. Possibly many times.

And while not common, we are hearing about broken studs. So wouldn't it be better to just not over-tighten them.

And whether they're over-tightened for only a few minutes or left that way isn't going to matter. If they're damaged, they're damaged.

I've never had an issue with Discount Tire (dozens of times), or Costco (I've only been there once). 20 years ago I had issues with Belle Tire once or twice, but not normally.

Back