Would you use this? Dented oil filter can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you use this?

100_1130_zps5dbf4595.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not. good filter to cut and inspect to see the result from the dent. I could not trust the endcap with a dent like that.

No way. New filter = $3, new engine = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. (Yes, I know that looks like a wix/napa gold which is more than $3, but I'd take any filter over a dented filter.)

What brand is it? Wix. I'm thinking coil retainer spring, if it is, it's undamaged. I doubt element is functionally damaged, and unlikely can is compromised to the point of burst risk in pc use. Doesn't look too bad to me.

I'd like to see it in person, but if I couldn't return it I think I would use it. JMO

I'm cheap. I'm ultra cheap. I'm probably the cheapest person I know, and there is no way I would use that filter. It could turn into the proverb, "Penny wise, pound foolish."

Filter cans have a lot of stress in action,and any damage could actually turn into a fracture.I would cut it open for visuals and nothing else.

I might use it on an engine used only by me and never driven by wife or sons.
I'd be nervous for the first few hundred miles, though.
I'd figure that if it were going to fail, it would do so pretty quickly, although that might not be the case.
I'd feel better just tossing it, though.
Shame to throw a good filter away unused, but it would also be a shame to lose an engine to a fatigue failed can.
It would also suck to have shut the engine down in time to save it on a dark and rainy night, and be sitting by the side of a lonely two lane with no way home.
Your wife would not appreciate the phone call from you and would question your mechanical competence forever after.
If in doubt, throw it out.

It's almost certainly suffered no damage that would prevent it functioning normally. I wouldn't use it anyway because it's creepy.

I've cut open hundreds and hundreds of filters over the decades.

Seen much worst dents from road debris over the miles and the filter was fine.

Let me be the first to say I'd use it. That area is just air and *IF* the dent was deep enough all it would have done is even less of an dent *IF* it made it to the end cap.

The amount of pressure that an engine produces is not going to do anything to the dent (as far as a leak)

The top part of the dome is not even distorted.

Look and make sure the bypass is still centered to the middle hole.

Place me in the "use" column.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
It's almost certainly suffered no damage that would prevent it functioning normally. I wouldn't use it anyway because it's creepy.
what's creepy

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
(Hey! When I lived in Seward Nebraska, I dated a girl from Fremont! She'd tell you not to use the filter as well).

I once bounced off a gal in New Hampshire when I went to the Mts...She would also tell you that filter is a no go.

Nope ... shape edged dents can cause leaks due to stress risers. There's a TSB from the Filter Counsel warning about using filters with dents.

No, why take the risk when you can return it for one that's not dented? Be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back