Dented Wix 57055XP opened

Evening everybody!

I ordered two oil filters for my new Subaru Impreza from Rockauto and one arrived dented. I knew not to use it but after it was replaced I decided to open it up by uncrimping the double seam.

FWIW the Wix 57055XP has the higher (oem) bypass specification from Subaru than many aftermarket filters. Rust appears to stop many more Subuwus than “incorrect” bypass, but that’s my opinion. That and $2.50 will get you anywhere you wanna go on the L.

The only immediate problem I saw from the dent was the filter media was slightly compressed and wavy on one side. Of course you shouldn’t use one as the filter body could flex, weaken and eventually catastrophically leak. But I would’ve used it in a pinch if I had to.

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2771.jpeg
    IMG_2771.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2772.jpeg
    IMG_2772.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2773.jpeg
    IMG_2773.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2776.jpeg
    IMG_2776.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2777.jpeg
    IMG_2777.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 145
Ouch! That must have dropped from the top of something! It's a good thing you didn't use it :poop:

This XP seems to have been cheapened to the Purolator Boss spec. Plastic mesh backing, the spider thing, and the Purolator dotted date code. Was the red thing torn? Purolator Bosses have problems with the ADBV tearing :unsure:

Right... no need to run a dented filter if one can return/replace it that's for sure. Do you recall if the dented top was on the same side as the wavy media?

I'd've just returned it next time i swung past the store. Don't think i'd waste the gas to drive there unless it was real close.

This XP seems to have been cheapened to the Purolator Boss spec. Plastic mesh backing, the spider thing, and the Purolator dotted date code. Was the red thing torn?

Not sure what you mean. The backing can’t be seen, the center tube is spiral wound steel, the Manx spring is part of the bypass system, the date code is a standard Videojet print. The ADVB was perfectly intact.

Do you recall if the dented top was on the same side as the wavy media?

Yes those were oriented together.

Everything is much cheaper and at a higher price. The corporations know the mass consumers are dumbed down.

What? This filter is extremely well made for $7.

Ouch! That must have dropped from the top of something! It's a good thing you didn't use it :poop:

This XP seems to have been cheapened to the Purolator Boss spec. Plastic mesh backing, the spider thing, and the Purolator dotted date code. Was the red thing torn? Purolator Bosses have problems with the ADBV tearing :unsure:

All the Purolator Boss filters I've ever opened have had 0 issues.

🤷

Not sure what you mean. The backing can’t be seen, the center tube is spiral wound steel, the Manx spring is part of the bypass system, the date code is a standard Videojet print. The ADVB was perfectly intact.

I mean it's the same design that Purolator uses for the Boss, and it is a cheaper design than the traditional Wix setup, which has a coil spring bypass, and the old XP has wire backing instead of plastic.

The plastic mesh is clear, which is why it can't be seen. If it was the wire backing, it would be obvious. Also, the wire-backed XP has round holes.

The Wix date code isn't printed like that. It looks more like these two

I mean it's the same design that Purolator uses for the Boss, and it is a cheaper design than the traditional Wix setup, which has a coil spring bypass, and the old XP has wire backing instead of plastic.
Those were the old Affinia made WIXs. One day I drove all over town trying to find some old ones. I found 3 at a NAPA across town. Those were built like tanks.

Back