Would this concern you? (Bypass leaf spring forming)

Serious question. Not trolling Amsoil or anything like that as I believe that is a Champ made filter. I also use Amsoil. I myself wouldn't be happy but a little unfiltered oil goes through bypass on most startups if I am not mistaken. So I would still use it. Still not pleased with the quality however. Then again, under pressure, perhaps the leaf spring seals completely. Thoughts?

Last edited:
While the Ultra has a fiber type seal on dome, I suspect that the new Fram Endurance has a very similar to, or same as design as the Champ Labs made Amsoil filter shown in the video. In fact, many if not majority Champ Labs made filters now use a similar design to the Amsoil shown.

That said, like to see what it looks like with same pressure applied evenly across the stamped spring as an unopened filter.

It appears likely that the bypass opens on most engines for most cold starts.
Possible countermeasures are:
1 Use a filter with a higher pressure bypass.
2 Run the biggest filter you can find that will fit your engine.
3 Use a better filter like a synthetic, glass or enhanced paper media, they catch nearly all those pesky 15 to 20 micron particles, flow up to twice as much as a same size paper filer with similar beta ratios but they cost up to twice as much too.
4 Run a high flow rock catcher like a wix XP, k&n.

For my wife's car I run an over sized paper filter with a higher pressure bypass. It's 50% bigger and runs a 15psid bypass. As as opposed to the stock size filter that runs an "8 to 11psid" bypass and it only costs about $2 more than the filter it's supposed to use.
That's the best cheapest solution that works for me.

It appears likely that the bypass opens on most engines for most cold starts.
Possible countermeasures are:
Good info, but in this case with an air gap and metal-to-metal "seal", none if those meaures would help. It would be leaking/bypassing the filter element to some degree all the time.

Last edited:
That said, like to see what it looks like with same pressure applied evenly across the stamped spring as an unopened filter
Whip City did push down some on the leaf spring, but not really like the leaf spring would transfere force while assembled. I think if force was put on the ends of the leaf spring like when assembled, the center section may actually open up more from the metal flexing/bowing at the center area. Only a more accurate test would verify.

Are the results of this test not going to be completely different once the element assembly is installed into the can, and therefore the spring is compressed a bit?

I think using the flashlight is totally unfair. How are you supposed to seal up an oil filter so tight that light doesn't shine through?

... Only a more accurate test would verify.
On that part I agree. I don't think WCW using his finger/thumb/hand (seen before commenting) on the ends of the flat spring accurately replicates pressure from dome of can with unopened filter.

Either way, bigger point for me, similar/same dome bypass design used in multiple Champ Labs made filters now, with metal and ecore center tube. The previously referenced Fram Endurance being just one.

Are they now putting the old Fram Ultra media in Amsoil cans?
It does "appear" to OG XG media. However, the filter in the video made over a year ago, 8/22. Be interesting to see a current manufacture of same Amsoil application. My "speculation', would look more like other Amsoil synthetic media filters now.

Last edited:
Serious question. Not trolling Amsoil or anything like that as I believe that is a Champ made filter. I also use Amsoil. I myself wouldn't be happy but a little unfiltered oil goes through bypass on most startups if I am not mistaken. So I would still use it. Still not pleased with the quality however. Then again, under pressure, perhaps the leaf spring seals completely. Thoughts?

Seriously, who thinks of this stuff? It’s metal on metal how tight of a seal should there be? Not to mention when the can is together and there’s compression it would seat against one another more tightly. Just another reason fiber end caps are better the components together act as a gasket making a better.. tighter seal.

On that part I agree. I don't think WCW using his finger/thumb/hand (seen before commenting) on the ends of the flat spring accurately replicates pressure from dome of can with unopened filter.
Like I mentioned earlier, if the force is put through the leaf spring like it would be assembled in the can (through the outside "ears" that contact the dome inside the can), it's quite possible that the center area of the leaf spring could actually bow/flex and make that air gap larger.

Not to mention when the can is together and there’s compression it would seat against one another more tightly.
No proof that would be the case ... it could actually increase the air gap if the leaf spring flexes in the center from force being tranfered through the outside "ears". Look at the force path into the leaf spring when assembled.

I looked through a few videos he has of Titanium and newer Ultra filters, looks like Fram stopped putting the extra gasket to seal the leaf spring to the end cap.
Another First Brands cost saving (improvement) measure? 😏 As I now have little interest in new media XG, hadn't noticed that. Have to look closer at future dissections.,

Back