Would i be better off with a mono tube shock?

Installed KYB gr2/excel g in the rear of my 11 f150 super crew 6.5 box.. I bought the gr2s for the front as well but haven't installed yet (complete strut).
The ride isn't that great in the rear. Over sharp bumps, little drop offs and such it feels only slightly less rigid in the rear as my worn out shocks with 133k did. These are twin tube design. I dont haul anything heavy, at least not often. I would like a softer ride (I'm not too worried about the front as the front is heavier but the rear is obviously light) or something that will absorb the sharper bumps a little better. Not looking for a Cadillac but but don't want my teeth chattering either. Nothing bushing wise seems worn out in the rear.. so my question is would I be better off with a monotube design in the rear such as a KYB gas a just or a monroe reflex?

The springs and tires will have a bigger impact on ride quality than the shocks which just control the oscillations of the springs. If you want that softer ride and the shocks are worn out, you could try ordering OEM shocks.

A mono tube will not improve your ride, it that is the goal the twin tube is the shock to use for a daily driver. Mono tubes are great for sport cars and off road vehicles but can ride hard (some are adjustable).
I have one car with Koni Sport adjustable and the almost identical car with Bilstein twin tubes and stock springs, the mono is not pleasant to drive every day on bumpy pot holed roads.

Make and model of tires along with pressure can have a huge effect on ride quality. If you liked the ride of the truck new no reason not to get OEM or aftermarket equivalent shocks. If you're stuck with the rear shocks a couple of pounds under placard in the rear tires can help.

Edit: The Excel G shocks are OEM equivalent according to KYB. What tires and pressure are you running?

If by complete strut you mean a quick strut, forget that... your truck came with springs selected based on options and weight, don't throw that away.

While I agree tires are a major factor shocks can make a big difference in harshness, particularly over sharp or abrupt surfaces.

I personally would abandon the idea of shopping by shock type (IE twin tube or mono tube) and start shopping the particular shock, preferably with folks who have said shock on an F150.

For instance the Bilsteins on the Ranger ride much better than the OE shocks ever did, but I do not know if that would be the case on an F150, it is certainly not the case on a VW or BMW, though it is on a Mercedes with "comfort".

I would also suggest that a shock absorber which provides a supple ride while controlling suspension movement is probably a shock absorber with a fairly advanced valving system which is not very compatible with being low priced.

In short, up the budget and start reading reviews specific to F150's...

:twocents:

I have a set of MonoMax on my truck now and empty it rides rough. With a load, awesome. I have installed a set of Gas A Just shocks from KYB as well and really liked them for a daily driven vehicle.

I've had Koni, Bilstein and KYB mono tube shocks on cars, never a truck. Mono tubes are stiffer, handle small road imperfections better and seem to last longer. They cost lots more. My impression after several sets of various Monroe shocks is they are cheap and don't last, ditto for Gabriel.

Don't know how they would work on a Ford F150.

Installed KYB gr2/excel g in the rear of my 11 f150 super crew 6.5 box.. I bought the gr2s for the front as well but haven't installed yet (complete strut).
The ride isn't that great in the rear. Over sharp bumps, little drop offs and such it feels only slightly less rigid in the rear as my worn out shocks with 133k did. These are twin tube design. I dont haul anything heavy, at least not often. I would like a softer ride (I'm not too worried about the front as the front is heavier but the rear is obviously light) or something that will absorb the sharper bumps a little better. Not looking for a Cadillac but but don't want my teeth chattering either. Nothing bushing wise seems worn out in the rear.. so my question is would I be better off with a monotube design in the rear such as a KYB gas a just or a monroe reflex?
All else equal, shocks have less dampening as they age, while what you are describing is wanting less dampening than your old, worn out socks.

Softer shocks can help there but since you are comparing against old shocks, odds are that you need to look into other factory altered or worn dampening areas. It all adds up, the tire design and pressure, the body to frame bushings, the suspension bushings including springs, even wear in the seat cushions can cause a perceived increase in ride harshness.

A rubber bushing does not have to look worn out, to have lost pliability. Just don't replace any with polyurethane instead of rubber since you want to soften the ride.

To more directly answer your question, the monotubes ride rougher. Some may say it's a matter of tuning, and it is true on adjustable shocks how they are set, but in general the whole point of making the monotubes is to aim for the higher control and rougher ride that comes with it. All brands I've aware of offering both, have a twin tube that is softer than their monotubes.

Another option is put on softer rear springs, do rubber bushings while at it (if they aren't new and came with them), then add air bags if you need to use them to retain capacity when hauling a load.

Back