Would better batteries give more light for small LED flashlight?

I looked up both sites to see if there are any single-mode flashlights and didn't see any. I would have bought one from either vender if I found one.

Normally, on a long straightaway, having to click a few times with my thumb isn't a problem, but I am walking an 80 lb dog and I like this movement to be almost automatic, so clicking once with my thumb would be easier, especially because I don't always have a lot of lead time. Unless, of course, I just kept it on for the whole walk, although I haven't done that up till now... I guess with rechargeable battery, there really isn't a problem with just keeping it on...

Quality NiMH cells are great for LSD applications, and Alkaleaks are convenient and readily available, but it's not by accident that lithium batteries have become so prevalent. Their energy density and power output, along with low self discharge rates are a hard combination to beat, with the caveat that the risk from neglect and/or lunkhead behavior also increases with that higher energy potential.

Some suggestions:

Wurkkos FC11 - very popular "muggle" light. High CRI emitter, simple, logical UI, onboard charging, and more than enough output for general usage. Orange peel reflector with medium/short range. A bit more than $20, but value and quality is still good.

FC12 is a lengthier derivative with a tail switch, and longer range beam from SFT40 emitter, albeit not high CRI.
Sofirn SC31T is a twin with a different badge and SST40 emitter.

Sofirn SC31 Pro is the T without a tailswitch, and Anduril firmware. Very flexible, but not something I'd recommend to neophytes.

These two twins are brand new models, so no user reviews yet. They are more compact, and fit the budget. SST40 emitter capable of higher output, but not high CRI. TIR optic should result in a genreally useful medium/short range beam.

Wurkkos WK03
Sofirm SC18

The UIs on a lot of lights, including the two brands, go to turbo or high mode with a double click.

For a single mode light, some Convoy models can be configured to 0/100% mode (Biscotti firmware). The S2+ is a very popular light/host because it's cheap, good quality/value, and a gazillion ways to modify it. It's one of those things that most budget flashlight enthusiasts own one or more of, as the gateway drug into the hobby.

But the myriad number of models/options/configurations they offer can be overwhelming to sort through even for those in the hobby. And shopping on Aliexpress in general isn't for everyone.

The listing for the S2+ linked above is for a version with a high CRI emitter and Biscotti firmware, with all the body color and tint options in one place, and a bundled battery for 20 bucks and free shipping.

Well this is much more involved than I thought flashlights were as of this morning. I just emailed Wurkhos and they recommended the TS10 with Anduril 2.0 interface. Not sure if that lets me do a single click to turn on and off, or not.

Most lights are single click on/off, and have mode memory, so it will turn on at the level it was last used at (usually with the exception of turbo and strobe modes).

Anduril is very flexible, but it's not something I'd recommend to anyone looking for a simple, single mode light. Its most palpable characteristic is that it's a ramping UI, meaning it will continuously increase and decrase in brightness without discrete steps, though it can be configured to have steps as well, and set things like max/min levels. Some non-Anduril lights have ramping modes as well, but they're not as well refined in how they ramp the intensity. But, you can do a search for the Andruil guide charts and see if that's the kind of thing appeals to you.

The TS10 is a new model they're pushing, and their entry into the compact, EDC pocket rocket segment. The initial production run had some bugs in the firmware, but those shipping now should have the updated revision. It also has an e-switch and twin-tube arrangement, which is more complex, if not necessarily more problematic. A light aimed at enthusiasts.

Sorry, I am not up to date. What's wrong with the single mode MAGs?

They're fine, but if the OP desires better performance than what alkaline primaries can deliver, and staying within a certain price, one of the Chinese budget brand options will better fit that criteria.

Well you folks talked me into buying a flashlight with more lumens. I got a Duracell 250 lumens and the difference between that and my old one (50 lumens) is like night and day. I can't believe how miniscule the old light seems now.

Well this is typical bitog. I thought i just needed better batteries but you edumacated me into getting a better product for my needs. Thanks.

Back