Would a UOA of 900 mile factory fill engine oil provide any insight/education?

Drain and fill on our 900 mile '24 Mazda CX-90 tomorrow with the magic elixir HPL PCO 5W30 going in tomorrow. The first two oil services are complimentary at the dealership including OEM filters so I figured no time like the present to switch to the good stuff. My question is that since I have a few pre-paid labels and bottles for Oil Analyzers would I/we gain any useful insight doing an UOA on the factory fill oil on this engine with about 900 miles on it? Or would it be a total waste and not provide any useful insights on the early wear patterns?

*Special thanks to Mary Jane at @High Performance Lubricants for setting up my order for a 6qt case and 1qt stray and getting it out the same day.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll save it for the first drain/refill of HPL. The plan is to run this OCI till the odometer hits 7500 miles so around 6600 miles on the oil/filter. To be compliant with the OEM warranty, the longest I can stretch the OCI is 1 year/10k miles; this being a brand new engine design I do want to stay within that window for the possible "what if".

My goal is for the future UOAs on this vehicle to provide insight to future owners as we generally don't keep vehicles past 75-100k at most.

I would dump the oil at 900 for sure. I dump new cars at 800 miles. Motors I build I first change dump at 25 miles, second dump at 800 miles. Get the first run oil out of there that has ultra fine metal from machining and the first knock down of the cylinder bore cross hatching to piston ring. Some of that is so fine it passes right through the filter. You have a NEW $60,000+ car who cares about saving money on the first oil change. Skip the UOA.

Drain and fill on our 900 mile '24 Mazda CX-90 tomorrow with the magic elixir HPL PCO 5W30 going in tomorrow. The first two oil services are complimentary at the dealership including OEM filters so I figured no time like the present to switch to the good stuff. My question is that since I have a few pre-paid labels and bottles for Oil Analyzers would I/we gain any useful insight doing an UOA on the factory fill oil on this engine with about 900 miles on it? Or would it be a total waste and not provide any useful insights on the early wear patterns?

*Special thanks to Mary Jane at @High Performance Lubricants for setting up my order for a 6qt case and 1qt stray and getting it out the same day.

Other than getting an idea of the composition of the factory fill it's a complete waste of money.

Referring to typical elevated wear levels and assembly lube additives, he’ll likely see the same thing if he has a UOA done on his 6,600 mile OCI.

Total waste since the engine is protected with an oil filter. People do these things because they are uninformed or misinformed. Ed
Up until a few years ago, and maybe they still do, the European manufacturers required an oil change at 1000 miles. The oil filter may not catch the finer particles in the oil all the time.

Do what interests you. I change factory fill at 1000 to 1500 miles. I did a UOA out of curiosity. No need to worry about what anyone thinks. You and only you can determine if it is worth it to you.
Whatever you do, enjoy it.

Doing an oil change at 900 miles is a waste, an even bigger waste would be sending the used oil in for analysis.
The waste is using the HPL this early. There's still break-in material to be washed out. I would use the dealers oil for that.

Back