WOT Driving and Engine Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is there are a few items that come into play. Ring land ridge formation from not being run up to redline now and then. Granny driven motors that then go to a teenager, will blow up when beat on ...

Second item is that foaming potential of the crankcase and the oil chosen. No windage tray and high RPM can suck up a lot of oil and foam it badly. Foam does not lubricate ...

OTOH, full throttle under mid-RPM conditions should do no harm at all, except to the fuel mileage
laugh.gif

I drive a Genesis Coupe 3.8 V6 and not only do I redline it at least once every time it is fully warmed up, but I drive it for extended distances at 90-100mph with the AC blasting in the Texas heat. I use 5w20 and send out UOA's after around 10k miles on the oil. ALways had stellar results telling me to go longer. It currently has 179,xxx miles on the engine and consumes no noticeable amount of oil on the dipstick between oil changes.

All I have to add is that my vehicles hit the redline at WOT multiple times per day, I go WOT pretty much every chance that I get open, dry pavement ahead of me. However I only do this after my engine is fully warmed up.

The 1.8T in my Jetta has 148k miles on it, I've owned it since 82k, and I've driven the car this way for as long as I've owned it. So it's been up there thousands of times,I can't even count how many times it's been above 100 mph. Every 4k-5k miles I drain 5.5L of dirty oil, and I put 5.5L of fresh M1 in it. I also got a tune and had the boost turned up to 20 PSI for the last 8k miles.

My Camaro is driven even harder, though I've only owned it for the last 12k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back