Worst oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

The worst oil is the one you don't change.
65290590-M.jpg

Anything with an API starburst has met minimum specifications.

Would that be a dipstick out of a German Auto???

Years ago I had a freind " a very cheap freind" that purchased some oil from a discount "liquidator" type store for his 1998 camaro. This oil was about 79 cents a qt. and came out of the bottle very dark. I said it looked like used oil that was run though a cheese cloth he said it's fine. Well about 3 weeks later I found out that his motor blew a rod and now it was rebuild time. An expensive lesson to learn but hey some people never listen and have to find out the hard way.
dunno.gif

Here's the first 1 that comes to mind. Unless I'm
confused.gif
, one of the toughest oils that does "conform to some standard" is often the worst for wear.

Quote:

Easy question to which the answer is the "SA rated" oils you still see on the shelf of convenience stores, some gas stations and even many auto parts stores.

Agreed. My local supermarket stocks Saxon brand oil, API SA rated, for $1.79 a quart.

Even kraap like Type A ATF is easily found in gas stations and convenience stores. I did a bunch of travelling recently and would check out the oil selection at every gas station I visited. I found plenty of no name or unknown oil brand with API SA ratings, perhaps as good as API SF on a few brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back