Worst oil you've ever used?

Can't say I have ever used "bad oil" I was a Valvoline guy in my younger years (Mark martin fan), then switched to Castrol, then Mobil 1 and now a significant amount of Super Tech.

As a teenager I worked at a gas station that we kept all the used bottles of oil sold to customer's. We flipped them up and drained them into a gallon jug. This oil was then put in a used 1 quart container and given away to customers that needed oil but couldn't afford it. I guess this was my first experience with "frankenbrew"

Just my $0.02

The first full service station I worked at did this too. Back in the cardboard can and spout days. We had a pan in the garage area with chicken wire over it and turned the cans upside down for that last oz or two to drip out.

We didnt give it away, it went back into a oil can for topoff. and we charged for topoff.

I’m sure not doubting what you saw, I just have a hard time believing Magnatec would do this. Any way you could’ve bought a jug of used oil or whatever that some scumbag had returned to the store?
Magnatec in all of my 4 cylinders was in and out at 10K and looked like it could go far further.
No oil consumption either. Fram Ultra was the filter for 2X

Back in 1972 I used to get Royal Purple oil from a 2 Guys dept. store for my $50 dollar leaking / oil burning junk yard cars. 10-30w and on the bottle it said ''refined from previously used motor oil''. But it was a pretty purple color....

Why would you run a heavy Diesel oil in a Boxer engine??
The Subaru EJ is a grenade with a loose pin. RT6 - which was dual rated Sand C at the time and also was a
NASIOC forum fav for the turbo crowd.
I think its time for subaru to go to a V4 or a laid over VR4.
That ancient VAG style engine ain't doing them any favours.

Last edited:
The only issue I've ever had with motor oil is, some brands seem to be consumed more then other brands in my vehicles. The newest being a 2011 Chevy equinox with 66k miles on it. Any brand that claims to be dexos compliant, gets drank like water. I started using a mixed combo of 10/30,10/40 and even 20/50, to slow it down. That was the only thing I did to help the consumption issue, besides doing and engine rebuild.,,,

Lots of oil but worst for my Pentastar was Havoline DS in box. You can do a search as I did conversion on here and got blasted. Not a bad oil just this engine as well as my drive habits didn't work.

Castrol Edge 0w40. Used it twice and both times it lost it's cold flow properties and caused audible top end rattling on a cold winter start after about 2800 miles. Oil drained out very thick and tar-like at 3k. Never had any issues with any other oil like that.

I have some Castrol Edge 10w-40 I got on clearance. I will run it but you better believe it will be dumped at 2500 miles.

Actually , the oil that I would never use again is NAPA 10-30 Synthetic . I put it in my V-8 Tundra and immediately noticed more engine noise . I assumed it was a quality oil but I definitely noticed the difference .
Never heard of this⛔

Castrol Edge 0w40. Used it twice and both times it lost it's cold flow properties and caused audible top end rattling on a cold winter start after about 2800 miles. Oil drained out very thick and tar-like at 3k. Never had any issues with any other oil like that.

I have some Castrol Edge 10w-40 I got on clearance. I will run it but you better believe it will be dumped at 2500 miles.
Qweird. I just drained 5w30 out of my Silverado this weekend and it came out pretty much perfect at 5k miles.

Qweird. I just drained 5w30 out of my Silverado this weekend and it came out pretty much perfect at 5k miles.
I'm not sure what it was. I had just started doing my own oil changes and prior to that the car had only seen conventional or blend, it's possible it may have picked up a lot of junk and that caused it to thicken, it definitely did turn completely black after 1k but my engine completely blackens most oil by 2k. I guess I will see when I run the 10w-40.

Back in the late 80’s or early 90’s the good oil was Castrol GTX 20W-50. But if I was short of money then I could get Castrol XL 20W-50 for a few dollars less. Not too sure what the difference was, but I did run the Castrol XL a few times.

I'm not sure what it was. I had just started doing my own oil changes and prior to that the car had only seen conventional or blend, it's possible it may have picked up a lot of junk and that caused it to thicken, it definitely did turn completely black after 1k but my engine completely blackens most oil by 2k. I guess I will see when I run the 10w-40.
Yeah that’s definitely not normal. :(

these oils bear absolutely zero relation to each other

What's the worst oil you guys have seen for sale or used?

In my case I'd have to say "Q" motor oil "5•30" weight for like $2/quart at my local corner store.

Back before I was part of this forum and knew any better when I first got my previous car I did my first oil change with 5 quarts of "Q 5•30" because it was so cheap 😬

In my defense at the time it seemed like decent oil and my car didn't have any issues running it...lol
Mobil 1 was the worst I have ever used. I had a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer and it would make a horrendous noise when it was driven before it warmed up when it was below -10. Mobil 1 was the only one it did it with so I have never used it again.

Back