Worst Oil ever?

Messages
24
Location
California
Hi been perusing all over here and have gathered much need info regarding 5w-20 oils, Syn, dino, filters, UOA and just plain over jealous car love! Anyway, My vote is for Arco(?) graphite oil back in the late 70's very early 80's. It would foam like crazy and I'd get engine noise after cruising 65 for about ten minures(speed limit was 55 back then here). The oil spent all of 30 miles in my crankcase. And it wasn't over filled Any other Bad ones from the past?
 
Messages
2,534
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
[Cool] Back in the early 80's I had a batch of Quaker State in my car in winter, this was the stuff that got recalled for faulty cold-weather additives. Car rattled like hell until it warmed up.
 
Messages
2,768
Location
Tn
I didn't mean to start a bashing session, but QS does have a reputation to live down amongst us guys over 50 anyway. I try to have an open mind and I think it is perhaps a very different company now with some good things happening. I vowed no more Caker State in my engines though.
 
Messages
7,409
Location
Austin, TX
Yep. Caker State from the 70's or 80's...too long to remember exactly when, but they let out a huge batch of oil that actually "DID" ruin engines in short order. Never bought Caker State again.
 
Messages
453
Location
Galveston, TX
quote:
Originally posted by haley10: I didn't mean to start a bashing session, but QS does have a reputation to live down amongst us guys over 50 anyway. I try to have an open mind and I think it is perhaps a very different company now with some good things happening. I vowed no more Caker State in my engines though.
haley10, the really experienced guys in here, the "over-50's," it would be easier to list the oils they _____don't_____ hate. Oils from those days, most of them would mess up the engine. Things have really come a long way since then.
 
Messages
2,768
Location
Tn
Flimflam, I don't want to get into it. What you say may be true, but I saw engines then clean as a pen also. It's the only oil I ever had a problem with. Just my experience.
 
Messages
22,700
Location
Apple Valley, California
Neo synthetic 2-stroke oil gets my vote. In the early 80's I raced 3-wheelers. I was sponsored by neo and they gave me a couple cases of their oil to try. Was supposed to mix it @ 100:1 [Eek!] I couldn't finish a race at that ratio because the engine would sieze. I tried 50:1 and it was better, but the engine would still ocasionally sieze. I went to 32:1 which created large amounts of plug fouling smoke. Before I raced again I bought some Duralube 2-cycle oil (not the same as the oil additive we have today), mixed it up @ 50:1 and won my first race. I got 3rd in the next race with the Duralube. The Neo guy who was familiar with my engine problems with his oil asked me what I had done to fix the problem. I told him I was running another brand the last 2 races! He quit sponsoring me after that [Big Grin]
 
Messages
80
Location
concord,ca
I was just at the dollar store and they had some 30wt that said on the label "not suitable for engines manufactured after 1963,may cause engine damage."
 
Messages
11,284
Location
Spring HIll
quote:
Originally posted by jafo: I was just at the dollar store and they had some 30wt that said on the label "not suitable for engines manufactured after 1963,may cause engine damage."
Wow! Is this the same crap that Wal-Mart sells? "Accell SF Quality". It's like 74 cents/quart.
 
Messages
3,334
Location
Bolivia
Here is a 15w40 CF-4 (if you believe labels) I analized two years ago right out of the bottle. First column is NEW OIL, second is used sample Iron 1, 86 Chrom 0, 7 Lead 1, 6 copper 2, 3 aluminum 1, 2 silicon 1, 1 magnesium 9, 30 calcium 670, 88 phos 509, 80 zinc 443, 74 visc 10.74, 11.64 TBN N/A, <0.5 This oil carries 50% of the market here.
 
Messages
14,013
Location
Retired | Wausau, WI
Phos 509, Zinc 443, and CF-4????????????? [Duh!] NO WAY!!. Wideman , sell that man some Chevron. I won't say this is the worse oil ever, but I had some bad luck with the old Gulfpride Single G way back when.
 
Messages
233
Location
Midwest
There is an oil that the local Speedway gas station caries that only has a "Military xxxx(bunch of numbers))" approval rating for $.49 /qt
 
Messages
73
Location
East Texas
quote:
Originally posted by Brat57: Hi been perusing all over here and have gathered much need info regarding 5w-20 oils, Syn, dino, filters, UOA and just plain over jealous car love! Anyway, My vote is for Arco(?) graphite oil back in the late 70's very early 80's. It would foam like crazy and I'd get engine noise after cruising 65 for about ten minures(speed limit was 55 back then here). The oil spent all of 30 miles in my crankcase. And it wasn't over filled Any other Bad ones from the past?
------------------------------------------------- I never heard of that happening. I used Arco Graphite quite a bit back then, and it was a good oil for me. I ran it on the interstate for hours at a time when I would go visit my family who lived 300 miles away, and had no problems. The only reason I quit using it was because it was nasty. If you got any on your skin, you couldn't just wipe it off like other oils, but had to use soap & water and scrub it off. And it would just about ruin your clothes. I had a friend who knew a tech that worked at Arco. Apparently Arco tested their graphite oil for a number of years before finally putting it on the market, and was proven to be a quality oil.
 
Messages
11,284
Location
Spring HIll
quote:
Originally posted by widman: Here is a 15w40 CF-4 (if you believe labels) I analized two years ago right out of the bottle. First column is NEW OIL, second is used sample Iron 1, 86 Chrom 0, 7 Lead 1, 6 copper 2, 3 aluminum 1, 2 silicon 1, 1 magnesium 9, 30 calcium 670, 88 phos 509, 80 zinc 443, 74 visc 10.74, 11.64 TBN N/A, <0.5 This oil carries 50% of the market here.
Oh my!!! If this is their "robust" oil, I'd hate to see what their 5w/10w-30 looks like! So much for the way of thinking that says ..." It must be that the owner neglected their Toyota V6 for it to sludge up like that".
 
Messages
109
Location
Leominster, MA
My father went from NYC up to Buffalo on the NYS Thruway with his '57 Pontiac Bonneville wagon V8 - 3 speed on column - with kids in tow. Got about as far as Albany when there was smoke from the valve cover area. We went into one of the stations for an oil change. My Dad said it was Quaker State that foamed up and out. Didn't seem to ruin the engine though. Must have been around 1963/64.
 
Top