Worst Car Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked at a Cadillac dealership in the early 80"s . The Cimmaron was known as the aquarium due to water leaks. The cars came of the transport with rust bubbles under the paint. Saw a mechanic filling down the bottom skirt of a piston that was contacting the crank counterweight . Gas tank baffles breaking lose making noise. Faux Stainless steel roof would dent if you applied to much pressure while drying. The service manager gave the reps an earful at a seminar.

Hyundai Scoupe and Hyundai Excel Pony.
Rot and never run right. I remember when I was in the Army this girl I served with bought a Brand new Scoupe. Always in the shop, rust within the first year in three different spots and it suffered a fire in her second year of ownership.

Renault Encore, Renault Alliance. I had an 86 worse than any car listed here.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Also mentions would be any of the big 3 vehicles from the mid 70s to early 80s that came pre-rusted from the factory... I never saw so many vehicles that rusted out so quickly...

The Japanese were just as bad in that era...Japanese trucks were the WORST!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: grampi
Also mentions would be any of the big 3 vehicles from the mid 70s to early 80s that came pre-rusted from the factory... I never saw so many vehicles that rusted out so quickly...

The Japanese were just as bad in that era...Japanese trucks were the WORST!

No doubt, my parents had an 86 Civic in upstate NY, guess how long that thing lasted. To be fair we got a Tempo after that, while it rusted much less, it had other issues.

Originally Posted By: eddy21
Worked at a Cadillac dealership in the early 80"s . The Cimmaron was known as the aquarium due to water leaks. The cars came of the transport with rust bubbles under the paint. Saw a mechanic filling down the bottom skirt of a piston that was contacting the crank counterweight . Gas tank baffles breaking lose making noise. Faux Stainless steel roof would dent if you applied to much pressure while drying. The service manager gave the reps an earful at a seminar.

I worked at a body shop in the early 1980s, and we would do complete repaints on many Olds Cutlasses and other GM cars. Most would get by with spotting in, though. The most memorable car was a black Cutlass Supreme that had been poorly prepped at the factory and had sanding scratches under the paint. The factory job literally looked like an Earl Shieb special. Mechanically, they seemed pretty good, though.

Last edited:
Growing up my Mother had an '86 Accord, when my parents traded it in 1988 the muffler was already leaking from a rusty crack...and looking back that was probably one of the best cars you could buy in 1986!

78 Chev 3/4 ton Scottsdale
Bought with very low miles in 1980.

Blisters in the paint, particularly the passenger side door.

Chronic and dangerous locking of the rear brakes, even in a normal stop in dry weather (the GM dealer said "they are all like that")

Some kind of Chrome plated plastic trim on the inside door panels started flaking off. I kept getting these mysterious Paper cuts, until I found the cause.

Heater fan was always on when the ignition was on (No off position). Soon the fan motor developed a Squeal that could not be stopped unless the fan was turned to High.

Door seal was fitted to the Door frame (not the door) and therefor soon became torn and useless. At speed the door would whistle and leak a cold draft.

Quadrajet carburetor had a huge Flat spot between the Primary and secondary chokes. On an uphill gravel slope it became impossible to pull away from a standstill. It would either Bog down, or spin the wheels.

Quadrajet also leaked Gas that filled depressions in the inlet manifold. This was due to a Foam plastic float that absorbed Gasoline. I was told by the GM dealer to fit an aftermarket Copper float.

Some kind of thermal spring Flap valve in the exhaust manifold had Two positions: Rusted Open and Rusted Closed. Both caused bad running.

Aside from that the 350 ci put out only 140HP (personally I think that was a vast exaggeration) and sucked Gas like a Pig.
To make matters worse the Gas gauge was the same size as the speedometer. I swear you could actually watch the gas level go down!

I'm sure there were more problems, but it's been 34 years now, but Man I hated that Pig!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Friend of mine in high school had a Ford Maverick. That car was the biggest TOTAL POS I've ever seen.

He must have treated it badly. I've had 2, both were great cars, and I ran them hard pretty much all the time. I plan on having & building up another one.

Originally Posted By: expat

Chronic and dangerous locking of the rear brakes, even in a normal stop in dry weather (the GM dealer said "they are all like that")

Some kind of Chrome plated plastic trim on the inside door panels started flaking off. I kept getting these mysterious Paper cuts, until I found the cause.

Heater fan was always on when the ignition was on (No off position). Soon the fan motor developed a Squeal that could not be stopped unless the fan was turned to High.

Door seal was fitted to the Door frame (not the door) and therefor soon became torn and useless. At speed the door would whistle and leak a cold draft.

Quadrajet carburetor had a huge Flat spot between the Primary and secondary chokes. On an uphill gravel slope it became impossible to pull away from a standstill. It would either Bog down, or spin the wheels.

Quadrajet also leaked Gas that filled depressions in the inlet manifold. This was due to a Foam plastic float that absorbed Gasoline. I was told by the GM dealer to fit an aftermarket Copper float.

Some kind of thermal spring Flap valve in the exhaust manifold had Two positions: Rusted Open and Rusted Closed. Both caused bad running.

Aside from that the 350 ci put out only 140HP (personally I think that was a vast exaggeration) and sucked Gas like a Pig.
To make matters worse the Gas gauge was the same size as the speedometer. I swear you could actually watch the gas level go down!

I'm sure there were more problems, but it's been 34 years now, but Man I hated that Pig!

Sounds like my dad's 77 GMC Heavy Half he bought in 78-79! The 250 straight 6 wasn't much better.. trying to keep in tune was a 6 month affair. Can't forget to mention the rust. Floor boards were gone in no time, door falling off and had to use a tarp to haul anything in the bed. To it's credit though you couldn't get that darn thing stuck and when it was running right she it was a regular stump puller!

The infamous heat riser. Rest assured you were far from the only vehicle owner to curse those things.

Might be good to learn to let go eventually as well! (j/k)

I had a new Plymouth minivan in 1988. Took it in a month after I bought it for a grinding noise in the right rear brake when braking. Service manager gave me the "they all do that..." routine. I replied, "That means they're all defective. You can start by fixing this one." Long story short, I left the dealership that day with a minivan that got fixed.

Although I never bought a new car after that, I think that now if I was looking for one, I'd ask to see the list of things that "they all do" for the model vehicle I was considering. Obviously, if there's a history of these kind of symptoms that are known to the service department, the dealership should be able to put together a list of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back