Worn out brake pads

Wifie say, "it's making a funny noise", Ok Hun, how long has this been going on? "Oh, a couple of weeks." Well, the beater 2008 Explorer rear brake pads lasted 160K miles!
brake pad 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I spy a few more miles left, on at least 3 of them. You should buy only 1 pad and get the last bit out of the remainder. To do anything more is to be a spendthrift.

I would highly recommend a real hard look at the disks. When mine went that low, when I was young & didn't know any better, It broke the brake disk caused from access heat & "friction". lol

Those are in good shape for that many miles. The brakes on all four corners of a 2011 Mazda CX-9 I did last year were stopping the car on the backing plates. That was the hardest job I've ever done, in terms of cleanup and beating the living heck out of the rotors to get them all off. Hours of hammering.

Looks like they have at least one millimeter+ of wear material left before metal to metal contact. Toyota recommends changing pads at one millimeter.

Looks like they have at least one millimeter+ of wear material left before metal to metal contact. Toyota recommends changing pads at one millimeter.
One mm sounds crazy-one long mountain descent, one panic stop, the lining can crack and fall off when it gets that thin. Then metal on metal happens!

Back