Work boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I am a diesel mechanic for the most part..i own a small fleet of trucks and i do most of the work myself. Before that years ago i owned a garage working for the public..so i know what u are going through. I have had the best luck out of Timberland Pro Pitboss soft toe. http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-PRO-Mens-Pitboss-Soft-Toe/dp/B000XEWW04 I usually soak mine real good with a wet cloth and get them wet and wear them for a day and they feel like a pair of running shoes for the rest of the year.. ive also had luck soaking them lightly with mineral spirits and doing the same.. Anyways my math works out to wearing them for a year then tossing them in the trash. I will wear mine 365 days a year so that works out to about 27 cents a day for me.

Also to note...i get grease and oil and everything on mine...i keep a bottle of baby oil in the bathroom of the shop and i lightly rub it all off with a rag..like new.

If u havent degreased yourself with baby oil try it...no hand cleaner ive ever used does a better job.

My son has been working at a bakery for years, and he gets a company $150 boot allowance, and his boots must be steel toe. He said the Timberland Pro Pit Boss steel toe is the most comfortable boot he has ever worn, and he has gone through many different high dollar brands over the years.

I have a pair of steel toe red wings for when I go on ships. Steel toe, which is required but also less comfortable and clunkier. Ive had mine for years and they are still going strong. Of course, no concrete, but lots of oil and grease sometimes.

If it was me, I would go the opposite path. The Tims you were wearing are good boots for your purpose, you just wore them too much. Throw them away after they wear past a certain point and by a new set. Cheaper I suspect than purchase of custom boots along with regular replacement of the heels and soles.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
What about getting your 620s resoled?

Soles are actually in decent shape, but the waterproof lining is wore through at my heels, and stitching is starting to come out on the heel counter of one of them. For what it cost to resolve them, I'd be into another pair for only $50 more, but then I'd have to spend another $50 for the insoles I like as the ones that come in them are junk.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Chippewa Boots are U.S. made and they have quite a few styles. I don't know if they would meet the OP's needs for fit. They generally run about $180 to $300.

https://www.chippewaboots.com/

I actually have a pair of their super loggers I wear outside of work during the winter. I hate them, most uncomfortable pair of boots I've ever had. My feet feel fatigued in them after a day of wear, and my lower back hurts. Only reason I can think of is the heel seems taller on them than my redwings. Thankfully, I didn't pay for them, they were given to me as a birthday present a couple years ago. Will say this, they definitely are a quality boot, very thick leather, super sturdy eyelets and hooks, and they even put a piece of rough out leather inside the back of the boot so you don't wear through the waterproof liner. Never got wet feet in them either. I only wear them in snow or mud now. Great, quality boot, they just don't work for me.

Thinking of trying these... http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000WKJJXC...=chippewa+73075

Yes they are made in china, and I hate going that route, but having a hard time finding a plain toe, unlined logger like I want, that's American made. More I think about it, I think I'm gonna stick with a logger, I'm afraid to go back to a smaller heel and risk the lower back pain and heel spurs again. Loggers give me much better arche support. And I'm just not comfortable with spending the money for custom boots right now. Figure if what ever I get now lasts me atleast two years, I should have the money for custom boots by then. What do you guys think of these? Anyone here ever had heel spurs or lower back pain? Am I pretty much stuck with loggers to keep these issues at bay?

Last edited:
Are Red Wings still comfy?

I used to get the Timberland when I could get them for $65 or $70. A couple of different kinds. They seemed to wear fast under intensive use, but I walked in them like they were sneakers, so, I'm not sure if that's fair.

Lately, I've been getting Walmart footwear, and I see a lot of people doing that now, too. There is even one they sell that has a nickname "C.O. boots," since that seems to be what a lot of younger cops, and a vast majority of CO's at the County Jail, wear. I'm sure they have a lot of work to do, but they seem to be at the desk a whole lot for their job. Not always, but.. yeah.

Ive tried redwings, wolverines, and the timberlines. Was never happy with them. About 5 years ago I tried Thorogood boots with the wedge sole and love them. I work in construction and see a lot of other tradesman wearing them.

I bought a pair of Thorogoods boots last year and they've been great. I don't work in them however. This thread is about to cost me money. While looking around Amazon I see the same boots in the 6" version are $93 in my size.

I've always been a Red Wing person myself since my father always wore Red Wings and still does to this day. Money was tight a number of years back and bought a different brand of boot and they fell apart after 4-5 months of construction use.

I have a couple pairs of Red Wings - one made in USA and one I found was made in China (Chinese made one was provided by my employer) and ironically enough the Chinese made ones are actually more comfortable but then again they're different styles of boots. Country of origin will depend on the specific model with the Red Wings.

Last edited:
Red Wing 3507 best work boot I have ever worn comfort and wear made in USA $230.00.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I've figured out that good insoles make more difference than boot brand.

I agree to a certain extent. For me, having had lower back and heel spur problems, logger boots helped me more than anything, even more than insoles designed for heel spurs. I needed the arch support, and I think the higher heel helped put my back in better alignment, or help with the shock to my back, not sure which, but it made a difference. So I think style of boot can play a part too. But, as far as comfort, I agree with you. All boots I buy now, other than the redwing 877's I wear outside of work, get Redwing/Sole moldable insoles as I've found them to work best for me.

Guys who have the Thorogoods, how is the arch support in them? I need lots of it. Afraid to try them as I worry about heel spurs or lower back trouble coming back again. I've already decided though, If I don't go with loggers again, Thorogoods are what I wanna go with this time around. Haven't seen to much bad said about them.

I have used redwings with good results. make sure your feet are measured correctly. What I have found that also helps is the Dr. Scholls inserts. the one where you stand on the machine and it tells you what to get. It made an amazing difference with lower back pain. If you are on concrete you do not want the logger style boot. they are for uneven surfaces.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
I have a pair of redwing 877's I wear everyday outside of work and love them.

If you can wear 877's, you got some very tough feet. If you can wear those, you can wear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back